Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 01:07 PM

256 posts, read 113,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
OK, you want people to admire you or someone else because of happiness. That kind of sounds like you want people to swoon over the happiness of someone, like the need for feedback of how lucky one is in their happiness.

So, I'm thinking the issue isn't that they are not happy for someone else, but that the person that is happy needs a feed saying they are lucky, and if that is so, it has me wondering more about the person that needs the feedback and admiration for their happiness than the one that isn't so much envious, but not finding happiness a reason to admire someone.

Not sure why someone needs others to focus on their happiness. I think that is where someone is coming up short.

Someone is happy, so then I would be expected to focus on their happiness and admire them for it? Someone is happy, fine, and if it doesn't bring focus and admiration, that doesn't mean they are resentful or envious. Another possibility is that say someone gets engaged to someone you think is totally horrible and will make the person miserable, ah, maybe that is where the hesitation would exist.

I would say the person should not worry about others celebrating their happiness, and wonder why they need the focus and admiration.
I don't agree with anything you have said.

It seems to me, that people who cannot stand to see someone else's happiness are the type that compare themselves to others. Over-comparing causes envy. Envy is the sensation that they want something that someone else has and they can’t be happy for them when they have it.

These people often take the good things in their OWN lives for granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 01:15 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
I don't agree with anything you have said.

It seems to me, that people who cannot stand to see someone else's happiness are the type that compare themselves to others. Over-comparing causes envy. Envy is the sensation that they want something that someone else has and they can’t be happy for them when they have it.

These people often take the good things in their OWN lives for granted.
Well, your title used the word resentful. Now you're using the word envy. Those are 2 words with different meanings. I'm wondering...would the word 'unhappy' be better to use? "Why do people feel unhappy when they see others happy?"

That opens up the topic more.

Old 01-25-2024, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Do you really need to be admired, just because you are happy??
Okay, admire may be the wrong word to use. I just can't think of anything else, right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Well, your title used the word resentful. Now you're using the word envy. Those are 2 words with different meanings. I'm wondering...would the word 'unhappy' be better to use? "Why do people feel unhappy when they see others happy?"

That opens up the topic more.
You are right! Unhappy or perhaps uncomfortable.

Old 01-25-2024, 01:31 PM

22,561 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:

People CAN be uncomfortable when they see couples groping each other, etc.
Hence the phrase "get a room!"

Nothing to do with resentment, or envy...

Old 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM

3,140 posts, read 1,595,514 times
The term, "rains on your parade" comes to mind. I know a woman who is very unhappy and always seems to find a way to bring down what should be a joyous occasion. I do think she resents what she perceives as life being unfair to her and is unable to feel any joy or happiness for others.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:01 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
The term, "rains on your parade" comes to mind. I know a woman who is very unhappy and always seems to find a way to bring down what should be a joyous occasion. I do think she resents what she perceives as life being unfair to her and is unable to feel any joy or happiness for others.
You know...sometimes people get in a rut of negative feeling. They've been in the habit of it so long, they practically need divine intervention to get out of that rut.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
People CAN be uncomfortable when they see couples groping each other, etc.
Hence the phrase "get a room!"
Lol! Yes...."couples groping each other" is not really appropriate in public. But, small gestures like hugging do not make me feel uncomfortable.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:03 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Why do people feel resentful when they see others happy?
It's a psychological mood thing. Some people not comfortable with their lives have plain 'ol negative emotions.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your post ....that's a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:13 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Okay, admire may be the wrong word to use. I just can't think of anything else, right now.

Uncomfortable over others’ happiness? That’s a bit odd, as is admiring them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
But then...I like people, and interacting with other people, and I don't mind other people interacting with me. I have no problem sharing in celebration of someone's wins, big or small. Though there is a limit as to how much I might prefer to commiserate with someone over their sorrows and setbacks, depending on the nature of our relationship.
Well said; I couldn’t agree more.

Quote:
Although I don’t know folks who are like this, the takeaway is to surround yourself with positive people (and be happy/positive yourself). Persons who are generally happy tend to socialize with others who have the same mindset; they share in life’s ups and downs together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology