Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 10:46 AM

7,608 posts, read 6,114,334 times

Advertisements

We are a Month away from opening kickoff
AND I just got my tickets to the Argonauts vs RedBlacks game on Oct 19

Oddly enough, the Tiger-Kitties have not put their single game tickets on sale yet. They play the PONIES on the 18th.

As soon as those tickets are on sale, I will snag a couple.

Interesting too that the capacity of the Argos stadium is 19000 or so about what Fouts Field was when I went to UNT and Stone Cold Steve Austin played for the MEANGREEN .

This coming in comparison to the Local Pirate stadium that seats 72000 or so

I take it that Life does not stop for many people in Canada when there is a football game on? Maybe Canadians really are (as I am told) more balanced and well adjusted in life....

I do not see them making fun of the Chargers....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 06:23 PM

3,978 posts, read 5,797,901 times
Tough break for the Argos this season. It looks like they'll be without their starting QB for at least 9 games.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-ole-miss...194253134.html

This was not Kelly's first run-in with the law unfortunately. Great talent but really unprofessional character off field. Too bad. Well, the Patriots reportedly waived Nathan Rourke, the former BC Lions starter, so maybe he can make a return to the CFL and start for Toronto instead.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Tough break for the Argos this season. It looks like they'll be without their starting QB for at least 9 games.

Well, the Patriots reportedly waived Nathan Rourke, the former BC Lions starter, so maybe he can make a return to the CFL and start for Toronto instead.
That Sucks But in this day and age, sexual harassment is taken very seriously and at the same time, why would any business not seek out to hire a professional and a gentleman?

Well, there are a couple of undrafted unsigned college free agent QBs that have the basic size to get into the CFL....I would guess a few calls are being made out of Toronto If Rourke does not want the job, then make a call to a couple of the small school players
This is when a good general Manager can earn his keep by scouring the division 2 and 3 rosters for someone who just graduated, has size and arm strength and is smart enough to take direction on the field in order to hone skills to overcome any deficiencies he might have.

Still waiting for the Tiger-Kitties to put single game tix on sale. For some reason, the other teams have theirs on the website, I just need to get a couple for the Oct 18 game and we are good to go to CANADA !

Old 05-08-2024, 07:11 PM

Even more embarrassing is the fact that Kelly is currently the CFL's highest paid player. He eclipsed Bombers QB Zach Collaros in salary last year. I hope the Argos can recoup at least some of the lost money due to Kelly's suspension. I don't know enough about the CFL's financial rules but I do know that money can be hard to come by in the CFL. Just look at the Edmonton Elks who actually lost money last season https://3downnation.com/2024/05/08/e...ss-going-well/.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:34 PM

19,744 posts, read 10,180,303 times
Will any of the games be on US TV?

Old 05-09-2024, 09:53 PM

93,912 posts, read 124,698,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Will any of the games be on US TV?
I believe that ESPN carries some early season games and select cable systems may carry some games via CBC or other local channels.

Old 05-10-2024, 04:00 AM

3,634 posts, read 3,433,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I take it that Life does not stop for many people in Canada when there is a football game on? Maybe Canadians really are (as I am told) more balanced and well adjusted in life....
Not more balanced and well adjusted. Have you ever lived in Edmonton when hockey's Edmonton Oilers are in a playoff run? In maybe 2005, I had to take refuge in the Confederation Lounge of the Macdonald Hotel, just to get away from all the Oilers fans constantly talking about the Oilers and hockey in city sports bars. Which only showed Oilers' games--other sports apparently did not exist. The Confederation Lounge was one of the few bars in town that had no TV. At least, not back when I lived there.

Or have you been in Regina when the Saskatchewan Roughriders are playing a home game? Here's a hint: wear green. That's how I was greeted by a barman in a Regina sports bar. I was driving across Canada, and pulled up in Regina, and there was a sports bar across the motel's parking lot. I walked over, found a seat at the bar, and the barman did not greet me with, "Hey, how ya doin', what can I getcha?" No, he greeted me with, "Why aren't you wearing green for the Riders? They're playing right now."

There was a time when no red-blooded Canadian would have anything to do with the NFL. To Canadians, CFL ruled, and NFL drooled. Those Americans need an extra down to make ten? Wussies. Can't deal with a longer and wider field than Canadians? Wimps. Then the NFL sold Canadians on how it was the superior brand of football, with lots of TV coverage, while the CFL blacked out Canadian teams' home games on TV in order to increase stadium attendance, so the typical hometown fanbase could not follow their team on TV. If you were living in Toronto, and wanted to watch local football, it was easier to follow the Buffalo Bills on TV than it was to attend the Toronto Argonauts in person.

Enough of that. Let's look forward to another great CFL season!

Old 05-10-2024, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Not more balanced and well adjusted. Have you ever lived in Edmonton when hockey's Edmonton Oilers are in a playoff run?

Or have you been in Regina when the Saskatchewan Roughriders are playing a home game?

There was a time when no red-blooded Canadian would have anything to do with the NFL. To Canadians, CFL ruled, and NFL drooled. Those Americans need an extra down to make ten? Wussies. Can't deal with a longer and wider field than Canadians? Wimps. Then the NFL sold Canadians on how it was the superior brand of football, with lots of TV coverage, while the CFL blacked out Canadian teams' home games on TV in order to increase stadium attendance, so the typical hometown fanbase could not follow their team on TV. If you were living in Toronto, and wanted to watch local football, it was easier to follow the Buffalo Bills on TV than it was to attend the Toronto Argonauts in person.

Enough of that. Let's look forward to another great CFL season!
NO My only explorations into Canada have been a family visit into small town Quebec (which we loved) and a clandestined jump across the MEEnuhSOWduh border in Winter when the dog-sledding guide pointed out that the right side of the trail was Canada...and that technically we needed to go through customs to be there...which to us was like deterring ants at a picnic by sprinkling sugar on the ground as we ran into Canada so fast that the US Olympic snow sprinting team would have been jealous.

I can only relate this story: When we moved to Florida, for work, in the late 1990s the Tampa Bay Succaneers sucked. They were the local team, but garnered little attention . They were there, but life went on. Then Tony Dungy built a serious team, and all of the sudden, the TV, Radio, and Newspaper started talking about the Succaneers and ONLY the Succaneers?
And everything on the news, from potential hurricanes to near Presidential assassinations became about "How will this event affect the Succaneers?"

Then they fell apart, the media went silent and life returned to normal. then Tom Brady came to town, and that was ALL We heard about...not even worth watching the local news or reading the Tampa Bay Times sports section because it was ALL about the Succaneers Even in the offseason, the local Tampa media became a clone of the National Inquirer about Tom Brady gossip...about what house he and his wife bought and who she was with after she dumped him....

It got old real fast, and it kept the media from reporting on things that were important, like public health and crime trends

Either way, I am excited to be visiting Canada in October . And the Tiger-cats tickets go on sale TUESDAY so I will get two for the game on the 18th vs the Ponies, and win or lose, we will have a good time. The Tiger Cats are my favorite CFL team. Obviously.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe that ESPN carries some early season games and select cable systems may carry some games via CBC or other local channels.
That is old information. CFL broke from ESPN last year and teamed up with CBS Sports. A limited number of games were shown on CBS Sports, which is a channel that basic cable bundles typically do not have while many other games were available to stream for free on the CFL+ livestream site online.

This was last year's information. https://www.cfl.ca/where-to-watch-20...t-information/

2024's broadcasts will probably be similar. So as long as you have a sturdy laptop that preferably can hook up to a wide screen television, you're all set. The drawback to CFL+ is that TSN will not let American and world viewers watch their commercials, which apparently are not part of the livestream offering, so you instead get withdrawn to an off screen with cheesy elevator music instead.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:49 AM

93,912 posts, read 124,698,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
That is old information. CFL broke from ESPN last year and teamed up with CBS Sports. A limited number of games were shown on CBS Sports, which is a channel that basic cable bundles typically do not have while many other games were available to stream for free on the CFL+ livestream site online.

This was last year's information. https://www.cfl.ca/where-to-watch-20...t-information/

2024's broadcasts will probably be similar. So as long as you have a sturdy laptop that preferably can hook up to a wide screen television, you're all set. The drawback to CFL+ is that TSN will not let American and world viewers watch their commercials, which apparently are not part of the livestream offering, so you instead get withdrawn to an off screen with cheesy elevator music instead.
Thanks for the update! I know that the Ti-Cats have a couple of NY guys on the team: https://www.cfl.ca/players/carthell-...-lloyd/167853/ , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Barlow and I grew up on watching CFL games on CKWS 11 out of Kingston ON and in college in Michigan on CBET 9 in Windsor ON.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football