Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 11:52 AM

1,281 posts, read 777,085 times

Advertisements

There was a discussion on another sports boards about QB's who either makes the playoffs and don't win or QB's whose team misses the playoffs multiple seasons in a row. So my question is can you blame everyone around the QB if the team constantly misses the playoffs season after season if the QB is starting every game? I mean don't you have to start to question the talent of the QB if his team is never making the playoffs or not winning in the playoffs?

I strongly believe if QB has skills there is no way his team is not going to win 1 playoff game or miss the playoffs multiple seasons in a row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 12:14 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,627,647 times
It is a team sport and if all 3 parts of a team are not playing well, doesn't matter who the QB is. I get very defensive when QBs are judged on SB wins, it is a team sport and wins are not a QB stat. Packers and Patriots have been to the playoffs for the last 7 seasons, both teams have great QBs but it isn't solely on them.

Not buying the QB skills theory. Yes, a franchise caliber QB is great but as an example, with all the injuries, defense is failing in GB and Rodgers is doing o.k. Fans and media complaining about Rodgers, his stats over the 4-game losing streak: 111/173 for 1,270 yards, 12 TDs, 3 INTs. 102.0 passer rating. Defense allowed 153 points. QBs can only do so much.

Last edited by susancruzs; 11-25-2016 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: deletion

Old 11-25-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
It is a team sport and if all 3 parts of a team are not playing well, doesn't matter who the QB is. I get very defensive when QBs are judged on SB wins, it is a team sport and wins are not a QB stat. Packers and Patriots have been to the playoffs for the last 7 seasons, both teams have great QBs but it isn't solely on them.

Not buying the QB skills theory. Yes, a franchise caliber QB is great but as an example, with all the injuries, defense is failing in GB and Rodgers is doing o.k. Fans and media complaining about Rodgers, his stats over the 4-game losing streak: 111/173 for 1,270 yards, 12 TDs, 3 INTs. 102.0 passer rating. Defense allowed 153 points. QBs can only do so much.

Good point because Rodgers is still performing this year and has that awful defense. But I don't see a guy with Rodgers skill set missing the playoffs 3 years in a row because he brings two things to the table, his mobility and arm.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:01 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,080 times
Brady should have 2 more, if not at least 1 because of a fluke catch. When they a good line, running game, and a great WR, u get Prescott. Wentz barely has anything to work with so it's really hard to judge who's really better.

David Carr is the perfect example of a good QB, but who's career was ruined by getting sacked 37 times a game in his first 3 years. A talented QB can only do so much.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:47 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
I would assume that Romo might be the one that originated this question?

There are players that play down to the games. Does playoff failure equate them not being a good QB? No.. But does it diminish their legacy? Yes, I think it does.

Carson Palmer will have that albatross around his neck. As will Andy Dalton if he doesn't win a playoff game.

I think many QBs are thought of as not having a 'complete' career unless they win a Super Bowl. Like it or not, Fran Tarkenton and Jim Kelly get looked at like that. Kelly and Tarkenton took their teams to 4 Super Bowls.. But they don't get mentioned in the same breath as Montana or Brady.. or even Steve Young, who could only get his team there once.

Does it mean that Jeff Hostetler or Trent Dilfer are better QBs than them? No.. Is it fair? Well, life isn't fair.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:03 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,640,033 times
If Romo was the originator of this question, I think the answer is in your face he's the Cowboys all-time leading passer but does ANYBODY speak of him in the same breath as Aikman or Staubach? There you go....

Dak may or may not develop into a more skilled QB than Romo. At his best, Romo was a Top 4 quarterback, that's pretty damn good. But he often played his worst when it really mattered. Again, that's a seperate thing than saying he wasn't a good QB, obviously he is/was, but his dearth of postseason success and his meltdowns in big regular season games, that stuff does matter and he should be held accountable as anyone else...

On the Dak/Wentz thing. Wentz has played admirably under less than ideal cirmstances. He doesn't have a WR1 or WR2, doesn't have a good running game, horrible line. It is hard to compare Dak does seem like with his poise he would handle a situation like that well too, but you just don't know. I think we can all agree that if Wentz had a reliable offense his stats would look better and he'd have more wins...

Old 11-25-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I would assume that Romo might be the one that originated this question?

There are players that play down to the games. Does playoff failure equate them not being a good QB? No.. But does it diminish their legacy? Yes, I think it does.

Carson Palmer will have that albatross around his neck. As will Andy Dalton if he doesn't win a playoff game.

I think many QBs are thought of as not having a 'complete' career unless they win a Super Bowl. Like it or not, Fran Tarkenton and Jim Kelly get looked at like that. Kelly and Tarkenton took their teams to 4 Super Bowls.. But they don't get mentioned in the same breath as Montana or Brady.. or even Steve Young, who could only get his team there once.

Does it mean that Jeff Hostetler or Trent Dilfer are better QBs than them? No.. Is it fair? Well, life isn't fair.

I don't think you necessarily win a SB but atleast have your team in position to compete for a SB by making the playoffs.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
If Romo was the originator of this question, I think the answer is in your face he's the Cowboys all-time leading passer but does ANYBODY speak of him in the same breath as Aikman or Staubach? There you go....

Dak may or may not develop into a more skilled QB than Romo. At his best, Romo was a Top 4 quarterback, that's pretty damn good. But he often played his worst when it really mattered. Again, that's a seperate thing than saying he wasn't a good QB, obviously he is/was, but his dearth of postseason success and his meltdowns in big regular season games, that stuff does matter and he should be held accountable as anyone else...

On the Dak/Wentz thing. Wentz has played admirably under less than ideal cirmstances. He doesn't have a WR1 or WR2, doesn't have a good running game, horrible line. It is hard to compare Dak does seem like with his poise he would handle a situation like that well too, but you just don't know. I think we can all agree that if Wentz had a reliable offense his stats would look better and he'd have more wins...
But at some point wentz is going to have to perform with what he has because we can't be saying that he has no receivers or running game 2 years from now. And if Zeke and Dez bryant was injured Dak would be expected to perform since he is still getting paid to play. The cowboys QB last year named Brandon Weedon didn't have Dez or Zeke but that did not stop the cowboys front office from releasing him because he could not peform with the players he had at the time.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:45 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,991,864 times
If winning in the playoffs is the benchmark for the quality of a quarterback then Trent Dilfer was better than Tony Romo. I'm not buying into that argument for a second.

There's so much that factors in. Can the defense prevent the other team from scoring? Do the receivers drop good passes? Can the backs hold onto the rock? Can the kickers execute their sole duty?

It's a team game. To place the success entire of a team on the quarterback is ridiculous.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
If winning in the playoffs is the benchmark for the quality of a quarterback then Trent Dilfer was better than Tony Romo. I'm not buying into that argument for a second.

There's so much that factors in. Can the defense prevent the other team from scoring? Do the receivers drop good passes? Can the backs hold onto the rock? Can the kickers execute their sole duty?

It's a team game. To place the success entire of a team on the quarterback is ridiculous.
The question was if that QB's team misses the playoffs for 2 to 3 seasons in a row or reach the playoffs and can't lead the offense to any points. It's the success over a 3 to 4 year period and I don't think drop passes and fumbles can be used as an excuse for 4 straight seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football