Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 08:11 AM

3 posts, read 4,637 times

Advertisements

I have been shopping online in the Prescott area, and never see anything in my price range. I'm wondering if there are alternative locations that may be more affordable that have a similar climate and amenities.
I have considered NV near the California border, or Western CO...
What the heck is going on in this country.
I paid 149K for my house and it's worth over 300K now which barley buys a mobile home in AZ and CO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 08:30 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,161,878 times
The days of AZ being an affordable place to move are long gone. Prescott and many of the North AZ cities were inundated with people moving in for their more temperate climate (compared to Phoenix) while still being an hour or 2 outside Phoenix.

With a budget of $300k...you could look at Cottonwood or Ash Fork...there are a couple in that range per a quick Zillow lookup. Or Show Low if you head to the East of the state.

Old 12-05-2023, 02:29 PM

4,612 posts, read 6,390,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmj View Post
I have been shopping online in the Prescott area, and never see anything in my price range. I'm wondering if there are alternative locations that may be more affordable that have a similar climate and amenities.
I paid 149K for my house and it's worth over 300K now which barley buys a mobile home in AZ and CO.
I'd say Location location location, and supply and demand. People are not migrating to cold snowy CT like they are to warm, sunny AZ.

Old 12-06-2023, 05:01 AM

3,411 posts, read 4,647,926 times
Try the Nebraska pan handle, or eastern Wyoming. Torrington, Casper, Scottsbluff, Chadron. Winters are colder than northern AZ, but they still have 4 seasons. If that doesn't work, take a look at Moriarty and Edgewood New Mexico.

Old 12-06-2023, 10:48 AM

558 posts, read 976,420 times
Silver City NM has a very similar climate to Prescott. When I visited in 2000 it was kinda run down, but a popular retirement town with a state college. Within striking distance of Las Cruces and El Paso.

Old 12-06-2023, 11:18 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,282,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmj View Post
Head East. The Western US is no longer affordable.

Old 12-09-2023, 08:56 AM

3,411 posts, read 4,647,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Head East. The Western US is no longer affordable.
More like the entire US is becoming unaffordable. We need to establish laws that prevent hedge funds, corporations and foreign investors purchasing hordes of housing in the country. Make housing affordable again!

Old 02-10-2024, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 16,629 times
My wife and I lived in the Prescott area, 2004-09. Beautiful place, snow in the winter but not too bad, summer can be hot but much shorter than Phoenix, etc. Plus you get those wonderful monsoon desert thunderstorms. Call me crazy, but I love them. And the rain helps cool things off during the warmer months.

I was just back there in November, and it has changed a lot. They are developing like crazy, and yes, real estate prices have skyrocketed. Not only are people moving there from hotter cities like Phoenix, they are absolutely fleeing California, where I still live, in droves. Thus driving up prices.

My wife passed away in August, and I need to get out of Sacramento. Rent is too high, and I don't need this big house anymore. I have friends in Prescott/ Prescott Valley who want me to move back there. But cost of living might be prohibitive now. I'm considering Las Cruces, NM, where I grew up. My sister, who just passed, lived there pretty much her entire life.

The Prescott area is generally nicer than Las Cruces, which is kind of a mixed bag. But I'm pretty sure cost of living would be lower there. Need to do more visiting and research. Also considering Brenham/ College Station area of Texas. My niece and her family want me to move near them. Anyway, any input here would be appreciated.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:15 AM

558 posts, read 976,420 times
I mentioned Silver City above because the climate is similar to Prescott.

I lived in Houston so I would say College Station will be hot and humid, but a mild winter. Texas is not as affordable for retirement as one might think. Brutal property taxes for one.

Love the food in Las Cruces. Kinda midway between Prescott and College Station if you want to visit friends.

Old 02-14-2024, 11:22 PM

4 posts, read 16,629 times
Yes, Las Cruces has the best Mexican food on the planet! It's Sonoran style, and it's hard - if not impossible - to find that same style and flavor elsewhere. I'm leaning in that direction, and I was thinking the same thing. I would be roughly halfway between Prescott and College Station/Brenham TX area. I live in Houston for over 10 years, but I was in my twenties then and the heat and humidity didn't bother me that much. I suspect I would have a much harder time with it these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott