Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 08:01 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Can you just drive down? Be a nice trip.......IMHO, if you're looking for a western town to retire in, you can't do any better. We considered parts of Texas, but the weather made us rethink that real quick.
But yes, definitely visit during the Frontier Days and check things out.....
Well, we just looked at the milage/time, from here (Loveland, CO) to Prescott: 813 miles/13 hrs. Last August, when we drove from here to Dodge City, KS (for a rodeo and the Gunsmoke/Longbranch Saloon Show), it was 439 miles/5 hrs. Half the distance and more time. And, being that our vehicle has 175,000 miles on it, would most definitely have to rent a car.

So, bottom line here is.........no driving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 06:44 PM

444 posts, read 321,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agorski View Post
It's all about the elevation. I'm at 5550 ft in Prescott. Prescott Valley is more like 4000 ft.
Not sure if that is a typo, but the Prescott Valley elevation is a little over 5000 ft.

Old 02-21-2022, 01:57 PM

Update: Still thinking about a move. Actually, we are starting to pack up things in our apartment. At our age, 72/74, we aren't going to pack stuff nearly as fast as we did when we use to. We have a year to get things done.

Can anyone suggest a nice, safe apartment complex or an area where nice/safe ones are? We will need a 2-bedroom/2-bath. We would like to fly to Prescott during your rodeo days, but not sure if we can financially fit it in. Will see.

Old 02-21-2022, 02:20 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,628,760 times
They have some newly built ones off Willow Creek Rd and Hwy 89. Pet friendly, outdoor pool, billiards, fireplace seating, etc.

https://www.2051apartments.com/

Old 02-23-2022, 07:46 AM

Just looked up online to see how many tattoo parlors there are in Prescott............some 13. Does that mean that there are a lot of "inked" young people in Prescott? If it does, that's exactly what we have here where we live and don't like it here. Sorry, just not into the multiple tattoos (face/neck/arms/legs/back) as well as piercings.

So, with that found out, we are now seriously wondering IF Prescott is our city to move to. How can Prescott be so "rodeo" and "Western" related with so many tattoo parlors?

I was in the Navy during Vietnam and never got a single tattoo. Before meeting my wife, I had thought (big word "thought") about getting one on each arm, then decided not to. Am extremely glad of that, because my wife told me straight out "if you would've had any tattoos or body piercings, I wouldn't have had anything to do with you."

Old 02-23-2022, 11:31 AM

558 posts, read 970,545 times
Ha! Don't see much of that. My spouse used to teach at Yavapai College and saw some spectacular examples of piercings.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agorski View Post
Ha! Don't see much of that. My spouse used to teach at Yavapai College and saw some spectacular examples of piercings.
You mean like, Machine Gun Kelly? Now, that is a dude who is most definitely tattooed and pierced! Looks so, so ugly, to us, that is.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:45 PM

7,501 posts, read 4,348,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Just looked up online to see how many tattoo parlors there are in Prescott............some 13. Does that mean that there are a lot of "inked" young people in Prescott? If it does, that's exactly what we have here where we live and don't like it here. Sorry, just not into the multiple tattoos (face/neck/arms/legs/back) as well as piercings.

So, with that found out, we are now seriously wondering IF Prescott is our city to move to. How can Prescott be so "rodeo" and "Western" related with so many tattoo parlors?

I was in the Navy during Vietnam and never got a single tattoo. Before meeting my wife, I had thought (big word "thought") about getting one on each arm, then decided not to. Am extremely glad of that, because my wife told me straight out "if you would've had any tattoos or body piercings, I wouldn't have had anything to do with you."
I don't think that there's any more inked people around here that you'd find anywhere else? It's become a nationwide fad. Even women are getting them too. Something that you'd hardly ever see before. I think it all started with those biker TV shows? American Choppers, Biker build off, Jesse James etc. I used to watch them all as I've worked on cars my entire life and am interested in anything that has an internal combustion engine.

I remember one episode of American Choppers where Paul Jr. mentioned that everyone now wants to get a tattoo because they want to look like a bad ass. But now that it's become a fad no one looks like a bad ass. Paul Jr. unlike his father doesn't have any tattoo's.

I'm not into any of that either. I've got much better things to spend my money on. But it's really not up to me to decide for other people if that's what makes them happy.

Because of our relatively mild four seasons there are quite a few bikers in our area. You can pretty much ride year round. You'll see a lot of them downtown on the square. They're good people, mind their own business and don't cause any trouble. Tattoo's are part of the biker lifestyle. Myself, whenever I go downtown I certainly don't feel intimidated or unsafe around them.

Arizona is also a very 2nd Amendment friendly state. Especially here in Yavapai County. Occasionally you'll see people going about their daily business openly carrying a sidearm. Yet nobody gets all bent outta's shape over it or even bats an eye. Which is fine by me too.

Old 02-23-2022, 02:03 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveRodeo View Post

Funny, but when we moved here to Colorado the first time (2002), we were told that the snow here goes away within a day or two. That turned out to be very, very untrue.
Where in CO are you? I moved to CO recently, and have found it to be true so far. I don't think everyone would say it, if it weren't true. And the snowfalls are pretty light, not like in the upper Midwest or NE.

Old 02-23-2022, 03:04 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,628,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveRodeo View Post

As Ex New Yorker said, tattoos are just a fad and will eventually go out of style like other trends. That shouldn't sway or deter your decision where you decide to retire. I don't have any tattoos myself nor care for them as a Millennial. You should still visit/check out the area since it checks off a lot of your preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott