Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 04:27 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times

Advertisements

Diamond Valley (a little sliver between Prescott and Prescott Valley) is well worth looking at for perspective residents. You are close to the shopping of Prescott Valley and about 10-15 minutes out from downtown Prescott. Wild life, the houses aren't cookie cutter, and there are some bargains that come up occasionally.

No sewer though you will be on septic. Other than that cool area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 04:45 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
There's a Mongolian restaurant in Prescott called Mogie's Mongolian Grill. It's not remotely as extravagant as the pictures above.
Support Local, Prescott doesn't need to be a large chain shopping mall.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:58 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Support Local, Prescott doesn't need to be a large chain shopping mall.
I'll support local business if they offer good service at a good price for the value and quality. How does a small business grow, by being unique, offering loyalty discounts, good service, etc.

Last edited by Hschlick84; 02-23-2016 at 05:06 PM..

Old 02-23-2016, 05:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I'll support local business if they offer good service at a good price for the value and quality. How does a small business grow, by being unique, offering loyalty discounts, good service, etc.
I just actively seek them out. That's how I found my favorite Mexican, Pizza, Chinese, Korean, Bars and Steak Restaurants.

Life's too short to be eating at chains. I was a chef when I was in College at 3 different chain restaurants (not simultaneously). That was all I needed to know about Chef Mike[rowave] and his various abilities. But it does promote 'consistency' I suppose.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I just actively seek them out. That's how I found my favorite Mexican, Pizza, Chinese, Korean, Bars and Steak Restaurants.

Life's too short to be eating at chains. I was a chef when I was in College at 3 different chain restaurants (not simultaneously). That was all I needed to know about Chef Mike[rowave] and his various abilities. But it does promote 'consistency' I suppose.
You make a good point there. I need to try out more local restaurants myself and see which ones I'll like, chain food is lifeless and boring. Supporting the local economy helps out everybody in the community.

My own cooking at home could improve quite a bit, I'll have to experiment with different recipes without making a disaster.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:53 AM

3 posts, read 15,631 times
Hi, all. I'm new to this site, so please forgive me while I get my bearings. I'm a single mom looking to move to Prescott from So Cal because I'm tired of killing myself (working 60-80 hour weeks) just to tread water. My parents will also be retiring to Prescott later this year, but I'm hoping to move in June after my son finishes out this school year. I fell in love with Prescott on my first visit (I've been twice since November and am coming back in a little over a week). I have some questions before I take the plunge.

1.) Is the job market really that bad? For those of you who moved from the pricier parts of California, has the decrease in pay affected you more or less than you had anticipated?
I've been looking at the job listings on Indeed.com since November (knowing I wouldn't be applying for anything until May/June), and it doesn't seem as bad as I've heard. I've been pretty lucky/blessed with job hunts in the past. Granted, I have a wide variety of skills in various fields, a well-rounded work history (and excellent references), as well as a decent education, so I may qualify for a bit more than the average job-seeker. I've also noticed the pay is a bit less than California (my recent base salaries have varied between $45k-$55k/year), but I suppose that's to be expected with a more reasonable cost of living.

2.) Are any of you familiar with the schools? Any recommendations of public, private, or charter?
My son is currently attending a small, private Christian school, but I've been looking into enrolling him at BASIS. I've read that the public schools are terrible. I'm hoping that's an exaggeration. My son will be starting his first year of high school in the fall, and I'm a little worried about him. He's shy and quiet, smart (he's in three honors classes) and is not very athletic (so I can't rely on team sports to help us find new friends). Although he's friendly, he has had the same two best friends since kindergarten—primarily because he's been in the same small school since kindergarten. I love change, but he doesn't so I'm worried about how he's going to handle this.

3.) Which areas/neighborhoods should I avoid? Which areas/neighborhoods do you recommend?
I'm looking for a two-bedroom ($100k-$150k) or a three-bedroom ($150k-$210k) ideally in Prescott. I'd love to have a garage or a big shed for storage and a washer and dryer. I'd prefer to live in a condo/townhome (so I don't have to deal with roof leaks, exterior maintenance and landscaping), but I'm open to single-family homes and manufactured/mobile homes too (I love the ones with the views of the lakes). I know nothing about wells or septic systems, so those scare me a bit. I've heard that anything around Whipple Street in Prescott or Robert Road in Prescott Valley schools be avoided. I'm not crazy about the "royal court" area of PV (Kings, Queen, Jester, etc.).

4.) What's the deal with the water?
I've read that there are water issues on a couple of different pages, but the only people we know in Prescott said that there aren't any water problems. Coming from California, were used to water restrictions and outrageous water bills, but one post talked about Prescott's water being cut off.

5.) Is the drug/rehab problem really that bad?
So Cal also has an inordinate number of residential drug rehab facilities popping up in the typically sleepy suburbs, so the problem is not foreign to me. Thus far, everyone I've met in Prescott seems to mention it, so it worries me. Has it affected the crime rates? Are drugs more prevalent now (unfortunately, those in recovery often do relapse)?

6.) What do high school kids do in their spare time? The mall seems to be mostly empty, so where do they hangout?

If you've read this far, thank you!!! You're a trooper!! I have a lot more questions, but I'm pooped. Thanks for your help!!

Kristin

Old 04-09-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinMD View Post
Hi, all. I'm new to this site, so please forgive me while I get my bearings. I'm a single mom looking to move to Prescott from So Cal because I'm tired of killing myself (working 60-80 hour weeks) just to tread water. My parents will also be retiring to Prescott later this year, but I'm hoping to move in June after my son finishes out this school year. I fell in love with Prescott on my first visit (I've been twice since November and am coming back in a little over a week). I have some questions before I take the plunge.

1.) Is the job market really that bad? For those of you who moved from the pricier parts of California, has the decrease in pay affected you more or less than you had anticipated?
I've been looking at the job listings on Indeed.com since November (knowing I wouldn't be applying for anything until May/June), and it doesn't seem as bad as I've heard. I've been pretty lucky/blessed with job hunts in the past. Granted, I have a wide variety of skills in various fields, a well-rounded work history (and excellent references), as well as a decent education, so I may qualify for a bit more than the average job-seeker. I've also noticed the pay is a bit less than California (my recent base salaries have varied between $45k-$55k/year), but I suppose that's to be expected with a more reasonable cost of living.

2.) Are any of you familiar with the schools? Any recommendations of public, private, or charter?
My son is currently attending a small, private Christian school, but I've been looking into enrolling him at BASIS. I've read that the public schools are terrible. I'm hoping that's an exaggeration. My son will be starting his first year of high school in the fall, and I'm a little worried about him. He's shy and quiet, smart (he's in three honors classes) and is not very athletic (so I can't rely on team sports to help us find new friends). Although he's friendly, he has had the same two best friends since kindergarten—primarily because he's been in the same small school since kindergarten. I love change, but he doesn't so I'm worried about how he's going to handle this.

3.) Which areas/neighborhoods should I avoid? Which areas/neighborhoods do you recommend?
I'm looking for a two-bedroom ($100k-$150k) or a three-bedroom ($150k-$210k) ideally in Prescott. I'd love to have a garage or a big shed for storage and a washer and dryer. I'd prefer to live in a condo/townhome (so I don't have to deal with roof leaks, exterior maintenance and landscaping), but I'm open to single-family homes and manufactured/mobile homes too (I love the ones with the views of the lakes). I know nothing about wells or septic systems, so those scare me a bit. I've heard that anything around Whipple Street in Prescott or Robert Road in Prescott Valley schools be avoided. I'm not crazy about the "royal court" area of PV (Kings, Queen, Jester, etc.).

I've read that there are water issues on a couple of different pages, but the only people we know in Prescott said that there aren't any water problems. Coming from California, were used to water restrictions and outrageous water bills, but one post talked about Prescott's water being cut off.

5.) Is the drug/rehab problem really that bad?
So Cal also has an inordinate number of residential drug rehab facilities popping up in the typically sleepy suburbs, so the problem is not foreign to me. Thus far, everyone I've met in Prescott seems to mention it, so it worries me. Has it affected the crime rates? Are drugs more prevalent now (unfortunately, those in recovery often do relapse)?

6.) What do high school kids do in their spare time? The mall seems to be mostly empty, so where do they hangout?

If you've read this far, thank you!!! You're a trooper!! I have a lot more questions, but I'm pooped. Thanks for your help!!

Kristin
1. I really haven't had problems looking for work, had steady employment at my previous jobs, mainly blue collared work. If you have skills in the medical or nursing areas, then you shouldn't have issues finding work. Prescott and PV will always need nurses and doctors, there's quite a bit of shortage locally.

2. I can't answer that since I don't have a kid. Not familiar with the schools.

3. Areas to avoid - There's not really any particular or specific places, but if you're looking for a single family home then avoid the northeast part of Prescott Valley. They're mostly mobile or manufactured near Lakeshore Dr. Prices will be cheaper in there.

Subdivisions I recommend are - Pronghorn Ranch, Viewpoint, Granville which are all operated under an HOA. Older subdivisions, but probably good - Linx Lake Estates and Canyon Castle Mesa that don't have an HOA. Those two are the closest to all your shopping needs for groceries, restaurants and such. However, Linx Lake Estates and Canyon Castle Mesa don't have sidewalks in the neighborhood, you'll be out on the street doing your morning jog or run. Not safe if you're walking your dogs.

4. From what I read, the water in the Dewey-Humboldt area has higher concentrations of arsenic and other heavy metals from it being a prior mine, which is now a Superfund site. Those people rely on well water, they're not on city water.

5. Rehab homes aren't a problem since I lived here in summer 2016. They're around, but I don't notice it.

6. The high school teens probably go to the skate park by Mountain View Elementary School, or attend after school sports such as soccer, baseball and football. If they're not doing that, they're at home doing homework, studying, reading and playing videogames.

Hope I answered your questions to the best of my abilities, good luck.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 15,631 times
Thanks for your detailed answer, Hschlick84!! I really appreciate it!!

Old 04-09-2017, 11:03 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,914,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinMD View Post

Kristin
3 - There are a handful of 2-3 bedroom condos/townhomes in Prescott that are for sale for less than $210K. Some of them have garages. They all have washer/dryer spaces in the homes. If you are not paying cash, then you will need to have a job here before you can qualify for a loan. That job will also likely have to be in the same line of work in which you are employed in California. You will probably also need to show a paycheck or two before the loan can close. A local lender can give you more details on the current requirements.

4 - The water comes from the aquifer. There has been plenty written in city-data posts on this subject. There are legal limits to the amount that can be withdrawn from the aquifer. The cities have plenty of water and they are looking at importing water from a larger aquifer north of Chino Valley. If you were buying a property on well water, then you would need to be more selective about where you purchased. I do not recall Prescott's water ever being cut off. If there was any disruption in service, than it would most likely have been related to equipment failure.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:19 PM

185 posts, read 275,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post

4. From what I read, the water in the Dewey-Humboldt area has higher concentrations of arsenic and other heavy metals from it being a prior mine, which is now a Superfund site. Those people rely on well water, they're not on city water.
Just wanted to add in on this....We've been looking at new homes in the Dewey Humboldt area and a lot of them are on city water.
As for the Superfund site....they have been cleaning it up since 2008. I've talked to people in the area and they say they have never had any problems with arsenic or lead.

Last edited by Baking.Bigfoot; 04-09-2017 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott