Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2022, 06:40 AM

7,388 posts, read 4,169,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Well, I don't know any Catholic families who have more than 3 children so there must be a lot of Catholics in name only.
Natural Family Planning is quite effective.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 08-25-2022 at 07:07 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 02:16 PM

14,358 posts, read 11,752,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Natural Family Planning is quite effective.
Yes, if you want to have children. It's not quite so effective if you want to not have children.

Old 08-25-2022, 02:51 PM

5,668 posts, read 3,176,878 times
I found this site https://catholicnewsherald.com/faith...myths-debunked

and to my interpretation, doesn't seem to contra-indicate ovulation testing, and is considered part of NFP. Seeing as OP is talking about an AI saliva test for ovulation testing...I don't see how it would be a problem.

Old 08-25-2022, 04:16 PM

183 posts, read 122,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
The person who answered that she isn't Catholic and that "the Catholics I know choose to use both birth control and aids for fertility" is off the mark. If you aren't Catholic, then don't give advice about this topic. Catholics who "choose to use both birth control and aids for fertility" aren't Catholics. They are "Catholics in name only". They are not adhering to Catholic teachings.

There are some posts here that are offensive to Catholics, and I respectfully have to call you out on it. "Rad Trad" is pretty offensive. Would you say offensive names to Muslims or Jews or Jehovah Witnesses or Hindus? Well, stop name calling of Catholics who love and believe in their faith.
Ok, well, I have no other term for pre-Vatican II, Latin Mass traditionalists. If it's disparaging or stereotyping, sorry about that. But not all Catholics identify with the types of stuff associated with the "rad trad" stereotype.

And there are people out there online, pumping out memes and other silly stuff, who are proud of identifying as "rad trad," whatever it means to them, I'm not sure, but they do stick with that identity.

And yeah, there are jokes out there at the expense of people from other faiths, too. And professions. And all sorts of stereotypes. I know a joke about a priest, a rabbi, and a minister that is actually at the expense of lawyers. Whoops... It's all very wrong.

Old 08-25-2022, 04:18 PM

183 posts, read 122,666 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know any Catholic families who have more than 3 children so there must be a lot of Catholics in name only.
There are lots of Catholics in name only. Nominal Catholics seem to be the default head count, if you were baptized, you "count."

I don't think it's even technically possible to be "ex-Catholic" unless you formally write out a denunciation of the faith and give it to a bishop. Most of us remain technically "lapsed Catholics."

Edit: and as far as I'm aware, only the Pope can excommunicate Catholics.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:55 AM

388 posts, read 308,230 times
I am not Catholic but have a dear friend who is, and we discuss family planning a lot. Neither she nor the NFP groups she's a part of have any issue with ovulation testing.

Old 08-27-2022, 07:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
Quote:
I know tons of young Catholic families with four or more kids.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:40 AM

14,808 posts, read 8,137,037 times
My Aunt was a strict Catholic and she did the 'Natural family planning'. She ended up having ten children!

Old 08-28-2022, 07:44 AM

7,388 posts, read 4,169,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
My Aunt was a strict Catholic and she did the 'Natural family planning'. She ended up having ten children!
As science and medicine improved, Natural Family Planning improved.

Before there were only guesstimates when ovulation happened. With the introduction of all these new ovulation tests, it became more precise.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:43 AM

14,358 posts, read 11,752,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
As science and medicine improved, Natural Family Planning improved.

Before there were only guesstimates when ovulation happened. With the introduction of all these new ovulation tests, it became more precise.
A couple still has to be very vigilant and self-controlled, count days carefully and allow extra as a margin, and even then, mistakes can happen.

My three friends who used NFP had a total of ten unplanned pregnancies (resulting in seven babies and three miscarriages, in addition to the eight babies which WERE planned). Two of them finally opted for tubal ligation. The third simply aged out of childbearing after having her seventh baby at age 45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy