Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 01:53 AM

5 posts, read 3,778 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I wanted to see if there are single moms here having one or more kids? I am currently 39 and after tow failed marriages, I decided to not waste time and at 40 use a sperm bank to have a child. Has anyone used a sperm bank and had a child through UI procedure? How many tries did it take you to succeed?

At this point in life, I feel like my life would be more enjoyable if I spend it mostly on my child than look for relationships. I feel like if I become a mom, I will no longer concentrate on finding someone but rather enjoying my time with whomever I meet without getting too serious in case that person isn't looking for anything serious either. I feel like relationships and marriages turn into a headache in the long-run and I also do not want to deal with a baby drama neither split my child 50/50 as I am want to have one for myself. For example, I wouldn't want my child to stay or go live for a while with her/his dad somewhere else with some other woman in case if our marriage did not work. I also don't want to get permission from a father to be able to move with my child whether it's to Europe or some other city/state. I also feel like I will have a great time with my kid without a 3rd party involved. My parents are aging now and they really want a grandchild as I am the only child, so I know that I will have them as help on the side, and if I prolonged this plan, without my parents in the picture it will be difficult for me. Anyone in a similar situation who went ahead with having a baby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 07:41 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elleelleelle View Post
Hi all. I wanted to see if there are single moms here having one or more kids? I am currently 39 and after tow failed marriages, I decided to not waste time and at 40 use a sperm bank to have a child. Has anyone used a sperm bank and had a child through UI procedure? How many tries did it take you to succeed?

At this point in life, I feel like my life would be more enjoyable if I spend it mostly on my child than look for relationships. I feel like if I become a mom, I will no longer concentrate on finding someone but rather enjoying my time with whomever I meet without getting too serious in case that person isn't looking for anything serious either. I feel like relationships and marriages turn into a headache in the long-run and I also do not want to deal with a baby drama neither split my child 50/50 as I am want to have one for myself. For example, I wouldn't want my child to stay or go live for a while with her/his dad somewhere else with some other woman in case if our marriage did not work. I also don't want to get permission from a father to be able to move with my child whether it's to Europe or some other city/state. I also feel like I will have a great time with my kid without a 3rd party involved. My parents are aging now and they really want a grandchild as I am the only child, so I know that I will have them as help on the side, and if I prolonged this plan, without my parents in the picture it will be difficult for me. Anyone in a similar situation who went ahead with having a baby?
I will tell you that parenting is hard. My husband was away for a month when my son was two months old. He was walking up every three hours to poop and feed. I seriously thought I was going to lose my mind from the lack of sleep. You'll need to have another person living with you for the first six months.

The highlighted text is a poor reason to have a child. Children are ruined by too much and/or too little attention. Additionally, your attention will be emotionally inappropriate.

Are you ready to give up on a sex life? "Child abuse is 40 times more likely when single parents find new partners". https://www.phillyvoice.com/child-ab...rtners-advice/

If you have two failed marriages, have you tried therapy? See what the patterns are and how you can fix it?

EDIT https://www.city-data.com/forum/pare...k-fathers.html

Last edited by YorktownGal; 07-30-2022 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-30-2022, 08:00 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
You seem to be thinking of a child as a playmate / companion/ accessory. Before doing this, please thoughtfully read some of the many studies about the negative effects of single parenting on children. Of course no one ever thinks that their own child will become one of the statistics, but obviously a large number of them are wrong.

Old 07-30-2022, 10:38 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You seem to be thinking of a child as a playmate / companion/ accessory. Before doing this, please thoughtfully read some of the many studies about the negative effects of single parenting on children. Of course no one ever thinks that their own child will become one of the statistics, but obviously a large number of them are wrong.
This. Get a dog like every other unstable middle aged woman. The string of failed relationships had a common thread.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:12 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elleelleelle View Post

Why are you waiting until 40? As a woman myself, I know that once you get in your 30's, you're limited to how many more years you can have kids due to how many eggs you have left. You need to see a fertility doctor ASAP to see if you even have eggs and depending on what they say, you really should have that baby now with a sperm donor.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:20 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Relevant question = why did you have two failed marriages?

Kids w/ two parents in the home have every statistical advantage of success. Tough pill to swallow, maybe, but the selfishness of "having a kid" as a project is very much misguided. Get a cat.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:23 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Adopt a kid,

Old 09-10-2022, 12:24 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,010,807 times
Having a child because your parents want grandchildren is the worst reason to have one. As a single mom you will be solely responsible any help from others even your mom and dad is momentary, especially as they age.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:28 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Why did you not have children before now? You couldn’t, or you didn’t want them?

I see nothing wrong with you deciding to have a child by yourself. It’s a free country. Some of us are just not mentally or financially prepared until we are older. I would not have felt fulfilled as a woman, without children, but everyone’s different.

As long as you know that your whole life will be controlled by this child for the rest of your life, and you don’t have any romantic notions. There are a LOT of challenges between holding a perfect pink bundle, and having your grandchildren gathered around your rocking chair. There is also a lot of joy in watching a child grow and learn and become an individual.

As roselvr said, if you make the decision, do it sooner, rather than later. Embryos can be frozen for years, but your eggs days are numbered.

Also, you know IVF and embryo storage is very expensive, right?

Old 09-11-2022, 12:57 PM

401 posts, read 275,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athair View Post
This. Get a dog like every other unstable middle aged woman. The string of failed relationships had a common thread.
Judgmental no? There's plenty of stable people who have had failed marriages. You know nothing about this women's relationships
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy