Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 07:59 AM

14,378 posts, read 11,783,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m reminded of the joke about daily boiling the pacifiers of first born babies, but by the second or third kid, we just pick it up off the ground and wipe it on our shirt.
Yep.

First baby drops the pacifier, you boil it for ten minutes.

Second baby, you rinse it under the faucet for a few seconds.

Third baby, you wipe it on your shirt and pop it back in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 10:21 AM

530 posts, read 250,781 times
In a pinch it is likely fine, and let's face it, aside from donor milk there there so few alternatives right now. My biggest worry is for the younger infants who are too young to be eating solids, because the homemade formula recipe circulating the internet is not nutritionally complete the way commercial formula is. Yes, I realize babies were once routinely fed the same homemade formula, but in those days babies also started on iron-fortified baby cereal much younger than they do today, and were also typically given supplements like vitamin drops, cod liver oil, and orange juice to fill in nutritional gaps.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:11 PM

50,423 posts, read 64,172,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Turd Collector View Post
In a pinch it is likely fine, and let's face it, aside from donor milk there there so few alternatives right now. My biggest worry is for the younger infants who are too young to be eating solids, because the homemade formula recipe circulating the internet is not nutritionally complete the way commercial formula is. Yes, I realize babies were once routinely fed the same homemade formula, but in those days babies also started on iron-fortified baby cereal much younger than they do today, and were also typically given supplements like vitamin drops, cod liver oil, and orange juice to fill in nutritional gaps.
That a good point, but I think this could be easily coordinated with the pediatrician. Even my grandson, who was only breast fed for the first 6 months was given some kind of vitamin supplement...not sure what.

Old 05-16-2022, 02:49 PM

It's recommended that even breastfed babies be given vitamin D supplements.

Old 05-16-2022, 03:48 PM

26,024 posts, read 22,214,018 times
Quote:
I don’t mean to be adamant, but there was no such thing as powdered baby formula for centuries and we all grew up just fine. I’d sooner feed my baby Carnations, water and Karo than a bunch of powdered chemicals from a factory.

In 1948, when I was born, it was out of fashion...not modern... to breastfeed, and powdered formula did not exist, yet we thrived anyway.

We have become too dependent upon “the man” to provide for us, instead of using our own problem solving skills. I believe there are canned soy milk alternatives for babies who can’t tolerate cows milk.
I agree with you 100%! My older son (born 1977) had evaporated milk with karo syrup, but also the baby liquid vitamins, and he did great and continues to do great. No health issues like many have, and it didn't hurt his physical, mental or emotional health. He is now a Colonel and was a straight A student.

I am also a product of evaporated milk with karo syrup, 67 years old with no health issues and no medications. Maybe a break from the chemicals will help these babies out! I think now that they keep babies on formula for an extended time. Mine was eating by 4 months.

All the health problems in children these days.........

Old 05-16-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I agree with you 100%! My older son (born 1977) had evaporated milk with karo syrup, but also the baby liquid vitamins, and he did great and continues to do great. No health issues like many have, and it didn't hurt his physical, mental or emotional health. He is now a Colonel and was a straight A student.

I am also a product of evaporated milk with karo syrup, 67 years old with no health issues and no medications. Maybe a break from the chemicals will help these babies out! I think now that they keep babies on formula for an extended time. Mine was eating by 4 months.

All the health problems in children these days.........
The pendulum swings back and forth. When I was having babies (late 90s/early 2000s) there was a very vocal contingent which stated that babies should be exclusively breastfed or given formula for at least six months before introducing any solid food whatsoever. Even after that, for the rest of the first year, solids were "only for fun" and not necessary at all. I knew babies who only had milk/formula for eight or nine months and the parents liked that because it was so much easier than feeding baby food.

Now that studies have proven that early introduction of solids is very effective in preventing food allergies, parents are encouraged to start giving babies various solid foods including nut products as early as 4 months. So, let's just say that you were not wrong.

Old 05-16-2022, 11:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,827,248 times
https://www.today.com/parents/parent...safe-rcna28771

Quote:
A 1950s recipe card for homemade baby formula — containing evaporated milk, water and karo (corn syrup) — is spreading online. The same recipe card also instructs parents to feed their infants orange juice at three weeks old.

“That’s not fake news — that [recipe] was used in the 1950s, but it carried significant risk for babies,” says Abrams.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The pendulum swings back and forth. When I was having babies (late 90s/early 2000s) there was a very vocal contingent which stated that babies should be exclusively breastfed or given formula for at least six months before introducing any solid food whatsoever. Even after that, for the rest of the first year, solids were "only for fun" and not necessary at all. I knew babies who only had milk/formula for eight or nine months and the parents liked that because it was so much easier than feeding baby food.

Now that studies have proven that early introduction of solids is very effective in preventing food allergies, parents are encouraged to start giving babies various solid foods including nut products as early as 4 months. So, let's just say that you were not wrong.
I have two little grandchildren...the others are in their 20s. These two little ones were raised so differently than my kids, or the older grands.

These two babies had nothing but breast milk for 6 months. At 6-12 months, regular people food (including peanut butter), breast milk and water.
No cereal
No fruit juice
Hardly any baby food

So different from when I had kids. It seemed like I only nursed for about 3 months, then used formula, but got the babies eating cereal and jars of baby foods as soon as possible.

My DIL thinks baby cereal is just empty calories, and her pediatrician is against any liquids other than breast milk for the first 6 months. I couldn’t have done this, but she has had no issues with nursing.

Old 05-17-2022, 12:52 PM

530 posts, read 250,781 times
Quote:
I have two little grandchildren...the others are in their 20s. These two little ones were raised so differently than my kids, or the older grands.

These two babies had nothing but breast milk for 6 months. At 6-12 months, regular people food (including peanut butter), breast milk and water.
No cereal
No fruit juice
Hardly any baby food

So different from when I had kids. It seemed like I only nursed for about 3 months, then used formula, but got the babies eating cereal and jars of baby foods as soon as possible.

My DIL thinks baby cereal is just empty calories, and her pediatrician is against any liquids other than breast milk for the first 6 months. I couldn’t have done this, but she has had no issues with nursing.
^^Mine are teenagers now, but when they were tiny, a lot of pediatricians were starting to encourage baby-led solid feeding because there is no nutritional need for solids before 6 months, and shouldn't be used to reduce breastmilk or formula intake before 12 months.

Last edited by Hearthcrafter; 05-17-2022 at 01:07 PM..

Old 05-17-2022, 03:46 PM

Well, first of all....I want to be where clams are a pizza topping.

It’s interesting how “the gospel of baby raising” changes by generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy