Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 09:20 AM

867 posts, read 727,692 times

Advertisements

As the offspring of a smoker, like others I strongly advise your wife to quit, whether she has carried the baby herself or not.

CDC: Health Effects of Secondhand Smoke

"Secondhand smoke causes numerous health problems in infants and children, including more frequent and severe asthma attacks, respiratory infections, ear infections, and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 09:25 AM

867 posts, read 727,692 times
I wonder if this question might get more experienced* replies in the pregnancy forum.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/pregnancy/

*Regarding surrogacy.

Last edited by Archaic; 01-30-2021 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: clarifying

Old 01-30-2021, 10:31 AM

299 posts, read 226,131 times
More understanding on pregnancies and the body might help. Not every woman loses her figure and some find pregnancy/labor a breeze. Staying in shape, practicing a variety of labor techniques and making healthy choices is a big part of it. I found reading books helps; especially ones explaining labor and late stages of pregnancy. Nurture by Erica Chidi Cohen was what help build my confidence in my own body while preparing for pregnancy.

Honestly motherhood is just as jarring and labor intensive on the body as pregnancy. Little to no sleep, constant cleaning, usually a change in diet, and increased anxiety. Many of the changes women find aren't due to pregnancy rather change in lifestyle due to becoming a mother. My sister stayed pretty skinny during her pregnancy; motherhood was what put the pounds on her.

There is no problem in waiting until the time is right. My husband and I have been wanting a child for years but we also wanted to enjoy our 20s. Waiting until we were satisfied with cigarettes, booze, and all those extra adult pleasures. It sounds like you two still like the adults only life so maybe enjoy that for a bit more before looking at children. You might find waiting helped quell the concerns and fears held.

Surrogacy is absolutely a possibility and it is more affordable now then in the past. I will say that it's not perfect. Depending on your location your viable options might be limited. Surrogacy isn't a picnic either; you're involving a 3rd party of which you have little to no control over their behavior or life during the pregnancy. Children born of surrogates can have identify issues and behavioral quirks very akin to adopted kids. So you have to keep in mind how those dynamics down the road will impact your family.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 5,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A little fear is normal. The other things are weird. I would not have children with someone who will not even give up smoking for her own well-being.
Unfortunately, She is very addicted. She smokes a lot and for a long time. She fortunately reasonable and admits she maybe won't be able to stop smoke during pregnancy.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:32 PM

50,410 posts, read 64,151,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remar123456 View Post
Unfortunately, She is very addicted. She smokes a lot and for a long time. She fortunately reasonable and admits she maybe won't be able to stop smoke during pregnancy.
I rest my case. She has more problems that you wanting a child.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,227,390 times
OK. Is it possible that she is using her addiction to smoking and her fears about childbirth to mask her actual disinclination to be a mother?

I think you two need some marriage counseling to talk through these issues.

I think using a surrogate should be the absolute last thing you use to have a child. There are so many ways using a surrogate can go sideways. And if your wife, deep down, does not want to be a mother, you are doing the child no favor by bringing him/her into your family.

Women who truly want to be mothers will stop at nothing to have a child. The fact that your wife cannot imagine stopping a unhealthy habit, worries about her body and is afraid of pain, signals to me that she might not really want to be a mother.

You two need counseling, and clarity. Take the necessary steps to gain that clarity.

And you need to find out how important it is to you, OP, to be a father.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:07 PM

I think she wants to be a mother, but she is very delicate. Her friend had a surrogate and she told her it is a way to have a baby without pain and renunciation.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 21 days ago)

35,693 posts, read 18,057,688 times
Remar, being a mother requires loads of self-sacrifice. Your wife doesn't seem willing to sacrifice anything at all.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:32 PM

15,878 posts, read 21,481,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remar123456 View Post

Whether or not she actually carries and gives birth to a child, she needs to quit smoking if you are to bring children into the home.

Secondhand smoke causes all kinds of health issues for children. I should know - my mother smoked until I was 8 or 9, and I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer that has been attributed to my exposure to secondhand smoke when I was 23. My brother and I both developed asthma as a result as well.

If your wife truly cannot stop smoking, then she has chosen her addiction over parenthood.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:44 PM

She smokes outside or in the garage. It's not fair to condemn her because of one bad habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy