Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:11 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times

Advertisements

Any name is fine as long as the name isn't so crazy that it causes substitute teachers to cry when they try to pronounce it-----or the name will result in children (with that name) causing substitute teachers, who are trying their best, to cry if they mispronounce it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 01:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Is the geographic "Illiana" pronounced "Illy-Anna", or "Illy-Ahna"? My young friend's name is pronounced the second (Russian) way...
Illiana is pronounced the first way. However, I personally always think of it when we have patients named that, no matter how their parents pronounce it. It's probably just me.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Our DD has a name that, according to various statistics sources, less than 50 people in the entire US share. My wife dreamed it up, literally (had a dream that she should name her that)... it is unusual but close enough to another popular girl name that people don't have too much trouble with it. It is not a "unique spelling" but a truly unique name and it has a cute and natural nickname people use when they DO have a bit of trouble with pronunciation (most do not have trouble though).

Now, I often wish I could go back and change my 15 year old son's name. I know it sounds odd but when I chose his name I was really at the end of my rope with his father vetoing every name I suggested. Suddenly the most apathetic, disinterested man in the world had an opinion on everything! So I feel like we settled out of frustration and I think some other name might have fit him better. Plus, I agreed that we would choose a family name for use as a middle or first name (from his father's side, naming tradition that uses the Grandfather's first or middle for the boy child's first or middle) and the choices were Aubrey or Leonard. I loved Aubrey, even as a 1st name, but my then husband did not, said it was girly. Okay maybe a BIT "gender neutral" anyway, but it was his grandfather's name, a great man that no one ever thought of as girly! So we went with Leonard as a middle, and I didn't like that nearly as much.

I like Emmett, Harlan, Lucas, Silas as boy names.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:21 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
I like more unique names as well. The names Brooklyn and Bentley are really popular right now though.

I choose names for my kids that were not totally off the grid, but I wanted names that were not commonly heard.

My kids are:
Genevieve Clare
Harper Grace
Tobias Aaron

I was in the Dr. office a month ago and saw that some celebrity named their daughter Harper. I hope this does not mean that more and more people are going to start using it

Old 04-02-2013, 01:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I like more unique names as well. The names Brooklyn and Bentley are really popular right now though.

I choose names for my kids that were not totally off the grid, but I wanted names that were not commonly heard.

My kids are:
Genevieve Clare
Harper Grace
Tobias Aaron

I was in the Dr. office a month ago and saw that some celebrity named their daughter Harper. I hope this does not mean that more and more people are going to start using it
There are lots of Harpers out there! I think I should go into the name consulting business. Working in a peds office, I can tell you if a name is popular.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:07 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There are lots of Harpers out there! I think I should go into the name consulting business. Working in a peds office, I can tell you if a name is popular.
Gah. I thought I had researched it enough.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:51 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
PLEASE, people.... do your CHILD a favor and don't make the name too "unique". The child has to live with the name, you don't. Think about the child's future and what impression the name will get when they mail in college apps or resumes.

Trust me, most resume's with "unique" names get tossed, no matter how impressive the actual resume is.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,444 times
My daughter's name is Seneca. Unique, yet still spellable and pronounceable.
Of course, she hates that it's so unique - she can never buy personalized keyrings at Disney or anything like that.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:11 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,309,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Ebenezer for a boy! I bet you won't find any other kid out there named Ebenezer
And what is the bet their nickname would be Scrooge.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,309,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Victoria Beckham's daughter is called Harper.

Easterndc:

I do like Genevieve - it is unusual but classic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy