Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times

Advertisements

You do want to be careful with "original" spellings of otherwise standard names, as they can lead to a lot of confusion and misspellings down the road, with the owner of said name having to spell it over and over and over again throughout their lifetime, which can certainly be tiresome and burdensome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 06:01 PM

I had a long-ago relative (early mid-19th century) whose name was Ariania - not so different from Aryana. Fancy names were in vogue back in ante bellum days!

Old 01-20-2013, 02:37 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,430 times
Yeah I know what u mean with the weird spellings. My wife's name is Rena its pronounced just like the regular way of spelling it but I didn't know that first time I talked to her lol.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,496 times
our 2 daughters are called Tabitha Rose and Elodie Fleur - i would say both are fairly unusual - we have yet to encounter another child called Tabitha, and have only come across one other Elodie, so far.

the girls love their names, and so do we! they enjoy the fact that very few other girls their age have the same name - and, in fact, when they do hear of someone else with the same first name, they get agitated!

Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Estelle is my wife's middle name. Aryana is just a unique name and I didn't give her the middle name which doesn't fit she has my sense of grace lol...

Lorenzo was my grandfathers first name and he died 3 months to the day prior to my son being born

June is both my mothers middle name and my wife's grandmothers first name

So far each kid besides Aryana has a name associated with the family somehow.

I keep going between Savanah and Brooklyn for a girl...but its 8 months away so got plenty of time lol...

Aryana sounds like a White Power name - Aryan Nation. The only child I ever encountered with that name was the daughter of White Supremacists. Of course. I don't know what you are into. Hmm Rebel Yell?
Maybe that's your thing.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Aryana sounds like a White Power name - Aryan Nation. The only child I ever encountered with that name was the daughter of White Supremacists. Of course. I don't know what you are into. Hmm Rebel Yell?
Maybe that's your thing.
Sometimes substituting a "y" for an "i" makes a name seem more feminine or more graceful. I previously noted that I had an early 19th century relative named "Ariania" - no neo-Nazism there. Her middle name was that of an Old Testament heroine.

I also know a similarly-named young Illyana - who has no eastern European ancestry whatsoever, as far as I know - her parents just liked the name.

I cannot speak for any other poster, but judging from the other entries in this thread, doubt very much if "Aryan" has much to do with "Aryana". Hope not, anyway...

Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Maybe that's your thing.
That's exactly what I thought when I saw the name.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Maybe that's your thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's exactly what I thought when I saw the name.
Maybe based on spelling only, but hearing this name (vs reading it) would never make me think of anything like that. Perhaps because I have heard of several Ariannas in our daughter's elementary and they are all of Mexican descent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Just sounds good to me...I don't know this time it seems like it's easy picking a name,last time it took 6 months literally to figure a name out we liked. Savannah is good as well I love spelling names differently.

Yes Emory is a girl My little meatball lol...Its actually a family name for a great great great grandfather I believe....I wish my wife's family had a family genealogy book like mine does to go through...
I am one of those that thinks choosing a unique spelling is just asking for trouble. No one is going to know by "hearing" the name that it is spelled uniquely. The only ones who will know it is spelled "uniquely" will be teachers and pediatricians and later on, DPS workers and potential employers, who will all most likely be hesitant to pronounce it wrong or at minimum, confused by the spelling.

Sometimes there are pre-established options, like Sara vs. Sarah, Sherry vs Sheri, Katherine/Catherine, but when you venture too far off it gets awkward, IMO.

My niece is Brandyee (instead of Brandy) and her middle name is Rhoze. Instead of Rose. I don't see the point. When you call her name, you still hear "Brandy Rose", so why?? For the record, my brother had no say in this.

I am sorry if this offends anyone but when I see stuff like that it just makes me assume that the parents are uneducated and can't spell.

So, having said that, I was going to suggest that you might take some time and do some genealogical research at a basic level, if you are interested in a family name from your wife's side. There is still time, you never know what you might find. I am big on family names and naming traditions.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:57 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
Maybe based on spelling only, but hearing this name (vs reading it) would never make me think of anything like that. Perhaps because I have heard of several Ariannas in our daughter's elementary and they are all of Mexican descent.

<snipped>
The thought came to mind specifically based on the spelling. Maybe get her a nice little "88" tattoo, too, for her christening.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:49 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
I have a feeling we hit the nail on the head. He's gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy