Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 07:35 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love Charlotte and I wish my parents had used it instead of a variant. It was between Charlotte and Caroline. They chose something else that is now dated.

"Ashley" became popular IMO, because of frilly designer Laura Ashley, who enjoyed great popularity in the 1980w and 90s. I never really liked the name, but I may be in the minority.
Caitlin is the Gaelic or Irish spelling for "Kathleen". It's not actually a name in Ireland or Scotland, it's a mispronunciation. My source in "Beyond Jennifer and Jason" a name book I picked up in the late 80s. They have gone on to publish several other books and are in charge of the website "Nameberry".

I don't agree with the name "Chelsea". It's perfectly, traditional to name daughters after beautiful places where you have visited or lived. Famous example - the parents of the pioneer of the nursing profession Florence Nightengale, was named after Florence, Italy. There are other examples.

William Shakespeare came up with some beautiful names for women - "Miranda" is a favorite of mine.

I don't think the ubiquitous "Olivia" and her sister "Isabella" are as traditional as they once were. Fifteen years ago in Long Island NY, one could find at least three of each in any elementary school classroom. Less so in Ohio, but back East, there are loads of Olivias and Isabellas who are now in their 20s or 30s.

To my ear, there are more fresh old-fashioned names.

There are others that really do not deserve a second go around -

Muriel
Dorcas
Thelma
Gertrude
Mildred
Edith
Maude

I actually think the Baby Boomer names were fairly good, for both boys and girls. Parents were less concerned with being insanely different or being obviously obscure. They seemed to name their kids names that they thought they would like. That worked out well, for the most part.

Mid Century was a very optimistic time.
My daughter's best friend is Chelsea. I agree that it is a beautiful name, and her friend is a beautiful person. It was just that in a class of fewer than 100 students, my daughter had three of them in her class. She was born in 1991, so it was very popular then. Her friend is from college, though.

I can't get over people naming their baby Hazel. I will always associate the name with the big-mouth obnoxious maid on the TV show of that name! Younger people don't remember it, though.

I have one of those names that screams "LATE 1950S!" I have always had friends and worked with people with my same name. There are at least two spellings.

Old 03-04-2023, 07:37 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
My friend's granddaughter, around 20 now, is an Olivia called Livie.

Old 03-04-2023, 02:28 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
So what you're saying is that names with one definitive spelling...

Arizona
Bilbo
Harmony
Thor
Zigmund

... are better than names with multiple spellings...

Carl/Karl
John/John
Maya/Maia/
Nicholas/Nikolas/Nicolas
Stacy/Stacie/Stacey/Stacee

Gotcha!

NO. That isn't what ANYONE was saying. The above list of names either fall into the "too old to ever use again" category (Zigmund, (Sigmo/und or Zigusmund and both accepted) and haven't been used in Germanic speaking countries for over 100 years. Thor is the name of a Norse God. or today, a very large dog. = you are just being silly.

As to your other list - both Carl and Karl are accepted. It depends on parental choice. John and John? Both OK, but so is "Jon" if that's what you meant. Nicholas has many variants. Stacey is a sister's name and a family last name. "Staci" is a English/American diminutive for Anastasia, which is usually used in Russia. The preferred name there is "Ana".

I know quite a few people from Eastern Europe, who had children about a decade ago - and a few who plan to have some soon. Interestingly, instead of going through "The Old Slavonic Book of Names for Babies". they are increasingly naming their children "international names" or "Names that travel well" said the same - or spelled and said very slightly differently in their own country, and in English speaking countries.

Names like - David, Michael, and Evan (Ivan) for boys and Nina, Alina, Isabella, and Ana - as diminutives. Alezandra, Alexander and Sasha as a name unto itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 03:52 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
My daughter's name is Seneca. Unique, yet still spellable and pronounceable.
Of course, she hates that it's so unique - she can never buy personalized keyrings at Disney or anything like that.
I honestly always thought the same thing -- if the name is too unique, or spelled uniquely, when they want something personalized (such as a keyring from disney), they'll never find their name.

My daughter just recently had a baby girl, and named her Anya. I have never heard that before, but i actually like it.

Old 03-04-2023, 03:56 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
My daughter just recently had a baby girl, and named her Anya. I have never heard that before, but i actually like it.

It makes me think of the actress Anya Taylor Joy.

Old 03-04-2023, 03:59 PM

10,085 posts, read 1,021,417 times
"River" for either a boy or girl

Old 03-04-2023, 04:21 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It makes me think of the actress Anya Taylor Joy.
LOL and I honestly have no idea who that is

Old 03-21-2023, 03:40 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
LOL and I honestly have no idea who that is

She is in her 20s. Your daughter might have heard of her. She was Gina in Peaky Blinders. She is also in the movie The Northman with Alexander Skarsgard & Nicole Kidman.

Old 03-21-2023, 04:06 PM

3,141 posts, read 1,595,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter's best friend is Chelsea. I agree that it is a beautiful name, and her friend is a beautiful person. It was just that in a class of fewer than 100 students, my daughter had three of them in her class. She was born in 1991, so it was very popular then. Her friend is from college, though.

I can't get over people naming their baby Hazel. I will always associate the name with the big-mouth obnoxious maid on the TV show of that name! Younger people don't remember it, though.

I have one of those names that screams "LATE 1950S!" I have always had friends and worked with people with my same name. There are at least two spellings.
I do as well but only one spelling which is fortunate since I always have to spell my last name.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:15 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
unique....as in never have
ever seen it on the internet?

well, i cannot post one then,
since it will have been seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy