Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2023, 08:18 PM

6 posts, read 4,520 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've got a job offer from USM Gorham campus and I'm deciding if I should accept it, without having been to Maine nor northeast part of the country. From what I read here, it's been positive to affirm that it is a gorgeous and friendly place to live!
I know rental properties are in shortage right now especially with so many young people are financially struggling to cope with the rising costs. I did some brief search on Zillow and Rent.com and I didn't see many 1bedroom apartment, within 20 miles radius, fits the price I'm looking for, preferably <=$1.6k.
The salary range for this job is $56- $58k, and I'd like to be able to save 20-30% of my net income for investments and savings. I've lived a frugal lifestyle ever since college and probably spend about $500/month for food and personal expenses outside of rent and utilities, in a LCOL city (100k ppl) that I am currently living right now in the south. My car is paid off, and I don't have any student loans or debt.
I'm a single female who holds conservative view and a practicing born again Christian. Single and no kids. I love traveling, hiking, being out in nature, gardening, drawing, attending library events, museums exploring and playing strategic boardgames.

The dark winters scare isn't the top of my concerns. Having lived in subtropical and tropical climates for 2/3 of my life, I'm growing some resistance towards persistent heat index of 100+ summer days for most of June till August. I'm ready for the lifestyle change. Everything about the job description is what I'd love to do, and there'll be learning curves for future career growth.
Would you suggest I should accept this offer considering the social and living aspect? If so, where should I stay?

Thank You to all who chips in!

Last edited by MissCuriousity36; 08-10-2023 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 08:08 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
It is gorgeous. Sunlight is a challenge in the winter. I'm fine with the weather. You'll learn to love the snow and cold. I appreciate your values as well. They need more like you in the state, trust me. Good luck

Old 08-11-2023, 05:02 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,423,457 times
Do it!

Old 08-11-2023, 07:46 PM

80 posts, read 122,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCuriousity36 View Post
Hi,
I've got a job offer from USM Gorham campus and I'm deciding if I should accept it, without having been to Maine nor northeast part of the country. From what I read here, it's been positive to affirm that it is a gorgeous and friendly place to live!
Congrats on the offer!

There is no lack of gorgeous here. From the mountains to the coast to the woods to the lakes and rivers there is a variety of natural areas to explore. There's a ton of state parks, land trusts, preserves, and the like.

The one thing to give you a heads up about since you mentioned you are not familiar with the northeast. People are friendly, but can be initially be perceived as brusk or aloof. This often is a misconception. It tends to be that most Mainers (and many New Englanders) just mind their own business and appreciate that you do the same. Most Mainers tend to be appreciative of privacy. And to some not used to that reserved but polite way of going about things it can come off as a cold shoulder. This is unlike some regions of the country where people right up front offer up all manner of details of their lives. Just be aware of this. Mainers likely won't pry for details when you first meet them. They will be polite and happy to small talk but you'll likely have to meet a few more times before things open up. I have seen people take first encounters as the final conclusion and surmised that people here are not friendly. Just reserved at first is all. Your understanding about this will be rewarded after you've encountered the same person a few times. Obviously, not everyone is like this, but I have witnessed this misperception between locals and newcomers to the region enough to think it is worth mentioning. Then there's the Mainer sense of humor which might come off as a bit "odd" to those from away but most quickly become able to recognize it as such. We do like our dry wit here quite the little bit.

Quote:
I know rental properties are in shortage right now especially with so many young people are financially struggling to cope with the rising costs. I did some brief search on Zillow and Rent.com and I didn't see many 1bedroom apartment, within 20 miles radius, fits the price I'm looking for, preferably <=$1.6k.

Property owners here often use Craigslist to post rentals. It's worth checking there as well.

Quote:
The salary range for this job is $56- $58k, and I'd like to be able to save 20-30% of my net income for investments and savings. I've lived a frugal lifestyle ever since college and probably spend about $500/month for food and personal expenses outside of rent and utilities, in a LCOL city (100k ppl) that I am currently living right now in the south. My car is paid off, and I don't have any student loans or debt.
I'm a single female who holds conservative view and a practicing born again Christian. Single and no kids. I love traveling, hiking, being out in nature, gardening, drawing, attending library events, museums exploring and playing strategic boardgames.
With the interests and hobbies you listed you sound like you would be content here in that regard. Mainers are big on outdoor activities, artistic endeavors, and self sufficiency activities such as gardening. Quieter activities such as books and board games/puzzles are not frowned upon and are good things to like when it comes to things to do inside during long winters. This is a place where used bookstores, bookstores, and libraries are still used on the regular. There are lots of bookworms and writers here.

Quote:
The dark winters scare isn't the top of my concerns. Having lived in subtropical and tropical climates for 2/3 of my life, I'm growing some resistance towards persistent heat index of 100+ summer days for most of June till August. I'm ready for the lifestyle change. Everything about the job description is what I'd love to do, and there'll be learning curves for future career growth.
Would you suggest I should accept this offer considering the social and living aspect? If so, where should I stay?
It sounds like it has potential in terms of a good fit for your interests and way of living. In terms of the offer at USM. I used to work for UMA (University of Maine at Augusta) so same university system. USM was essentially a sister campus with UMA being on a much smaller scale than USM. But I enjoyed being a UMaine employee for the most part. There is nothing I can think of in particular that I feel I should mention in regards to being a UMaine employee that someone considering an offer might want to know.

Feel free to pop in with follow up/clarifying questions.

Old 08-13-2023, 10:28 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times
Maine is gorgeous and great for outdoor lovers. Give Maine a try and if things don't work out, you can relocate. It will be an adventure. Be prepared to be even more frugal living in Maine. You may find you need a part-time job in addition to your full-time job. I have friends in NC who can heat and cool their 1200 sq ft home for about $100 a month year round. Not so in Maine. If you find a rental in Maine where you have fuel oil for heat, be prepared to pay a few(?) hundred dollars a month October through March for sure in addition to electricity. My fuel oil tank is filled in October, then about once a month. If it gets very cold, twice a month. I'm in Hancock County and I have seen "average" rentals from $850 to $2300 per month plus utilities. There are rentals much more than $2300 per month. I've seen two rent a room in someone's house opportunities for about $600 per month. There are also winter rentals where you would be able to rent from (example) Sept to May then have to move out. I hope you find housing that fits in your budget.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 08-13-2023 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area