Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2024, 06:44 PM

34 posts, read 34,202 times

Advertisements

Despite my being a loyal State Farm customer for 50 years, the not-very-good neighbor (who this year raised premiums 20% on my home, auto and umbrella liability policies) won't renew my homeowner insurance unless I replace my roof. So any recommendations of roofers in Indian River and St Lucie counties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 11:23 AM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
While I cannot recommend roofers for your area, I can share some tips I learned when we were researching shingles for a new roof almost 4 years ago.

Have you noticed a lot of newer roofs developing black streaks on them? In most cases I have learned it is not mold but rather a particular type of algae that likes our humid FL weather. To remove it requires the application of chemicals to kill the algae. I've read that the composition of the average "big block store" shingles contributes to the growth of the algae -- the algae feed on the limestone in the shingles.

There are now shingles that are composed differently to be more algae/mold resistant. These shingles have an added layer of protection in the form of copper or zinc granules that act as a barrier to prevent algae growth.

There are now a number of options for stain resistant shingles, three years ago we went with GAF shingles because of the 10 year no stain warranty. They did cost more than "regular" shingles but not significantly more and so far there are absolutely no signs of algae/stain on our roof while a neighbor who had a new roof installed at about the same time now has signs of black stains appearing on their roof.

As to roofers in general, we elected to go with a company that's been in business for quite a few years, that has lots of good reviews and that was a GAF certified roofer (to obtain the 25 year roof warranty).

To us the roof warranty was important as this is our "forever" home, but if you're planning to move in a few years it may not be important to you. Even so, if you are going to be in your home at least 3 or more years I would still opt for the algae resistant shingles to avoid having your roof treated every few years for algae/mold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach