Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 05:37 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

I post in a few other forums, & look in on this one occasionally, & am dissappointed by the lack of activity.

I have family in this forum area, and am considering 32963 as our next stop.

Is anyone out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2023, 09:55 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
I think it's cause we just kinda go about our lives? LOL

I've been in the area for about 8 years and while there is lots to love, there are some issues. But most places have them.

We only go up to Vero to shop at a few places, but recently a friend was driving in that area and wondered why they moved to PSL over Vero! Vero seems to be a bit quieter than PSL, but still has lots to offer in the way of charm and amenities.

Welcome to this neck of the woods!

Old 05-30-2023, 10:03 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Small population

Old 05-30-2023, 10:59 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalibeTonos View Post
probably true, but maybe others don't live on forums every day? clearly there are those with other more productive things to do? or need to find a hobby outside?
I'd say maybe 0.01% of the population has a schedule where they always have something to do from the minute they wake up to the minute they go to sleep. Most people don't spend their downtime outside surfing or kayaking. They sit on their couch and watch tv for hours. Hence, why the majority of people are overweight. lol just saying... I'm not sure couch potatoes can talk smack about people who are on social media and online forums. As far as I know, most streets are void of people walking outside in Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach, so it's not like it's some anomaly where the majority of people spend their downtime outdoors prepping for the next triathlon.

The honest answer for the OP is small population and older population (older populations tend to be less tech savvy).

Old 05-30-2023, 04:58 PM

178 posts, read 137,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I post in a few other forums, & look in on this one occasionally, & am dissappointed by the lack of activity.

I have family in this forum area, and am considering 32963 as our next stop.

Is anyone out there?

I said same! Not just Vbeach forum, all of them now, crickets here.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I think it's cause we just kinda go about our lives? LOL

I've been in the area for about 8 years and while there is lots to love, there are some issues. But most places have them.

We only go up to Vero to shop at a few places, but recently a friend was driving in that area and wondered why they moved to PSL over Vero! Vero seems to be a bit quieter than PSL, but still has lots to offer in the way of charm and amenities.

Welcome to this neck of the woods!
I have family who moved from PSL to Vero, but then moved back to PSL. I think they liked being closer to more retail, & their fav golf courses...less driving.

Are the Britline (or whatever they call them now) trains rumbling through the center of Downtown Vero yet?

If so, any feedback? That's 1 reason we chose SW FLA instead for our last move 6 yrs ago. We thought every time we needed to go shopping on the mainland, we'd be held up by RR crossing's.

Also, at that time, the City of Vero was overcharging affluent Island residents for electricity, & they got busted...since we were going to live out on the island, that was another reason we didn't move there...knowing city hall liked to steal from the rich, was a huge turn off. Didn't another electric company take it all over? Was it TECO? Does everyone pay the same now?

Did any grocery store open up on the Island yet? We were going to have to go across the Wabasso bridge to the Publix near Sebastian, or the crowded Publix Downtown Vero...ugh...that store needed to build a parking deck.

Have they done any beach renourishment? The beach was getting very narrow in a few places.

Vero does a great job at keeping high rises & short-term renters out. Are those laws still holding up? That was a big selling feature for us. Free beach parking too...is it still free? I hate parking meters.

Our next stop may very well be 32963...love how quiet it is out on the island and how few tourists they have....love the yacht club too. Ocean Grill & Bobby's were our fav restaurants.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies2023 View Post
I said same! Not just Vbeach forum, all of them now, crickets here.
Our Bradenton-Sarasota-Venice forum is quite active during season, but now its slowed down. Tampa-St.Pete forums are active due to population of these areas. The Florida forum's always active.

I think people who live in this forum area are trying to keep a low profile, to keep newbies from finding out how nice it is, & from moving here.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:23 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Quote:
I have family who moved from PSL to Vero, but then moved back to PSL. I think they liked being closer to more retail, & their fav golf courses...less driving.

Are the Britline (or whatever they call them now) trains rumbling through the center of Downtown Vero yet?

If so, any feedback? That's 1 reason we chose SW FLA instead for our last move 6 yrs ago. We thought every time we needed to go shopping on the mainland, we'd be held up by RR crossing's.

Also, at that time, the City of Vero was overcharging affluent Island residents for electricity, & they got busted...since we were going to live out on the island, that was another reason we didn't move there...knowing city hall liked to steal from the rich, was a huge turn off. Didn't another electric company take it all over? Was it TECO? Does everyone pay the same now?

Did any grocery store open up on the Island yet? We were going to have to go across the Wabasso bridge to the Publix near Sebastian, or the crowded Publix Downtown Vero...ugh...that store needed to build a parking deck.

Have they done any beach renourishment? The beach was getting very narrow in a few places.

Vero does a great job at keeping high rises & short-term renters out. Are those laws still holding up? That was a big selling feature for us. Free beach parking too...is it still free? I hate parking meters.

Our next stop may very well be 32963...love how quiet it is out on the island and how few tourists they have....love the yacht club too. Ocean Grill & Bobby's were our fav restaurants.
I don't know a lot of those details about Vero...although I do know Orchid Island is beautiful!

Brightline is more or less testing their high speed trains through the area. To be honest, I don't notice the difference between them and the freight trains. I hear them all while I'm at work. And still no decision on where a station will be, although rumor has it Fort Pierce may be the location.

Hopefully someone with more info about Vero in particular can help you out!

Old 05-31-2023, 07:53 AM

300 posts, read 474,421 times
Quote:

A few updates since it has been 6 years ago you reviewed Vero?

1. Brightline (not Britline) is now looking for a September start to operations. Speed of the trains passing through Vero will be up to 79 mph; currently freight trains go through Vero in the 40-60 mph range. The passenger trains are not very long and will pass through quickly.

2. The city of Vero Beach sold the electric utility to FP&L in 2018 so everyone pays the same rate.

3. We don't want a grocery store on the island! Fresh Market and Publix have stores between the RR and the beach so you don't have to cross the RR tracks to get to a grocery store. I doubt if zoning would allow a large grocery store on the island and the cost of the land might be prohibitive.

4. Beach re-nourishment is on going, but certain homeowners don't want to give up easements in a one section.

5. State law now controls the rental policies. There are no parking meters on the island.

6. You might want to check on the property prices since you last looked six years ago. FYI the prices have increased dramatically and you might want to check your budget before you look at Vero.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
A few updates since it has been 6 years ago you reviewed Vero?

1. Brightline (not Britline) is now looking for a September start to operations. Speed of the trains passing through Vero will be up to 79 mph; currently freight trains go through Vero in the 40-60 mph range. The passenger trains are not very long and will pass through quickly.

2. The city of Vero Beach sold the electric utility to FP&L in 2018 so everyone pays the same rate.

3. We don't want a grocery store on the island! Fresh Market and Publix have stores between the RR and the beach so you don't have to cross the RR tracks to get to a grocery store. I doubt if zoning would allow a large grocery store on the island and the cost of the land might be prohibitive.

4. Beach re-nourishment is on going, but certain homeowners don't want to give up easements in a one section.

5. State law now controls the rental policies. There are no parking meters on the island.

6. You might want to check on the property prices since you last looked six years ago. FYI the prices have increased dramatically and you might want to check your budget before you look at Vero.

Thx for the updates. I don't think that Fresh Market was there when we were looking 6 yrs ago...my wife loves that store. Nice to know the 2 grocery stores are on the beach side of the RR tracks.

Back then, I don't think rentals <1 yr. were allowed in 32963. They were grandfathered in, so the state laws coudn't override them...so they said.

Our area (Sarasota) has appreciated more than Vero has in the last 5 years, so Vero's more affordable to us now than it was back then. I just checked our favorite island neighborhood, and there's a home for sale there <$2M, so we're good.

Nice to see some posts here, thx to everyone for chiming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach