Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 05:28 PM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
As part of Martin County's legal settlement with Brightline, Brightline is obligated to build a train station on the Treasure Coast within a certain number of years from when they start providing service from Orlando. One of the columnists for the local paper, the TCPalm, seems to be a cheer leader for Fort Pierce getting the Brightline Station. I live in Jensen Beach, so If I'm taking the Brightline south it seems like a waste to drive 15 miles north in the opposite direction. I might as well just drive to the West Palm Station. I assume all the people living in Stuart and Palm City will also prefer to just drive to West Palm.

Brightline is expensive. I think tickets from West Palm to Miami are almost $50 one way. Brightline will obviously require passengers with some discretionary income and Martin County will have more of those people. For this reason I think Brightline should locate in Stuart if they are focused on the economics. Costco has been trying to get into Martin County for the last 10 years, while locals try to keep them out with lawsuits, yet Costco persists because they've done the market research and know Martin County is where the money is. St Lucie county has begged Costco to locate there but they refuse in favor of fighting to get into Martin County. I assume Brightline will do the same market research an realize Stuart makes more sense than Fort Pierce. However, there could also be politics and the possibility of incentives from Fort Pierce that help Fort Pierce get the station.

Downtown Stuart is also much nicer than downtown Fort Pierce. The best part of Fort Pierce is on Hutchinson Island near the inlet and the train station will not be built anywhere near there.

I agree that downtown Ft. Pierce is not exactly a garden spot, but renourishment happens all the time.

Is the Nuclear power plant out on Hutchinson Island still operational? That is the reason I nixed that area...loved it otherwise.

Glad to see this forum active again, & would like to thank all who have posted. It helps in a lot of ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 01:20 PM

236 posts, read 388,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I agree that downtown Ft. Pierce is not exactly a garden spot, but renourishment happens all the time.

Is the Nuclear power plant out on Hutchinson Island still operational? That is the reason I nixed that area...loved it otherwise.

Glad to see this forum active again, & would like to thank all who have posted. It helps in a lot of ways.
Yes, the power plant is still operational. I understand the negative sentiment around the pant, however one good thing about the plant is it keeps the center of Hutchinson Island lightly developed since I guess no one is crazy about living next to the plant.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:24 PM

8,068 posts, read 4,742,664 times
But it sure can be an adventurous place to scuba-dive....

https://www.cnn.com/2016/03/05/us/fl...ipe/index.html

Old 06-08-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
Yes, the power plant is still operational. I understand the negative sentiment around the pant, however one good thing about the plant is it keeps the center of Hutchinson Island lightly developed since I guess no one is crazy about living next to the plant.
I have a friend who lived in that golf course communuty out on Hutchinson Island near Ft. Pierce, & he and his wife love it. Quite affordable too, but the golf course isn't much.

I'd love to see Ft. Pierce revitalized.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:46 PM

236 posts, read 388,065 times
Quote:
I have a friend who lived in that golf course communuty out on Hutchinson Island near Ft. Pierce, & he and his wife love it. Quite affordable too, but the golf course isn't much.

I'd love to see Ft. Pierce revitalized.
I assume Fort Pierce will continue to make improvements to their downtown. However, there is too much crime in some of the Fort Pierce neighborhoods which will always make it a less desirable place to live. Port St Lucie continues to grow while Fort Pierce mostly remains an afterthought in terms of where people want to live. However, Fort Pierce being cheap and more proactively seeking investment has entertained more large scale commercial and industrial projects than you typically see on the Treasure Coast. There are plans for a very large wave pool in Fort Pierce that would host major surf competitions and contain resorts on the property. I'm not sure where this project is now, but unlike Brightline I could see this project benefiting the whole Treasure Coast if it gets built.

Old 06-22-2023, 09:45 AM

350 posts, read 195,851 times
Quote:
I have family who moved from PSL to Vero, but then moved back to PSL. I think they liked being closer to more retail, & their fav golf courses...less driving.

Are the Britline (or whatever they call them now) trains rumbling through the center of Downtown Vero yet?

If so, any feedback? That's 1 reason we chose SW FLA instead for our last move 6 yrs ago. We thought every time we needed to go shopping on the mainland, we'd be held up by RR crossing's.

Also, at that time, the City of Vero was overcharging affluent Island residents for electricity, & they got busted...since we were going to live out on the island, that was another reason we didn't move there...knowing city hall liked to steal from the rich, was a huge turn off. Didn't another electric company take it all over? Was it TECO? Does everyone pay the same now?

Did any grocery store open up on the Island yet? We were going to have to go across the Wabasso bridge to the Publix near Sebastian, or the crowded Publix Downtown Vero...ugh...that store needed to build a parking deck.

Have they done any beach renourishment? The beach was getting very narrow in a few places.

Vero does a great job at keeping high rises & short-term renters out. Are those laws still holding up? That was a big selling feature for us. Free beach parking too...is it still free? I hate parking meters.

Our next stop may very well be 32963...love how quiet it is out on the island and how few tourists they have....love the yacht club too. Ocean Grill & Bobby's were our fav restaurants.
Some people stopped posting here due to comments like this and "mostly an older population and they're not tech saavy" and advising strangers they need to move TWO MILES WEST OF THE AIRPORT to avoid noise. There's barely anything two miles west of the airport LOL.

Totally innacurate. No offense usually by people who don't even live here. AND it's been discussed recently but you didn't read it here so it's also redundant.

EDIT:

Sorry, I see that was you with the electric comment before. HERE is the response explaining the truth of the matter.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/port...l#post64842085

Last edited by jaxrivers; 06-22-2023 at 09:53 AM..

Old 06-23-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
Some people stopped posting here due to comments like this and "mostly an older population and they're not tech saavy" and advising strangers they need to move TWO MILES WEST OF THE AIRPORT to avoid noise. There's barely anything two miles west of the airport LOL.

Totally innacurate. No offense usually by people who don't even live here. AND it's been discussed recently but you didn't read it here so it's also redundant.

EDIT:

Sorry, I see that was you with the electric comment before. HERE is the response explaining the truth of the matter.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/port...l#post64842085
If you look back to older posts, you will see some about the airport noise. There's a flight school there, & they practice "touch & go" landings that create excessive noise levels, & increasing numbers of loud jets:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/port...t-noise-2.html

If airport noise wasn't an issue, why would the airport have a noise abatement program?

https://www.verobeachairport.com/noiseabatement

More and more jets:

https://veronews.com/2022/01/09/vero...e-jet-traffic/

There is development 2 miles West of the airport. Anywhere there's vacant land w/in 30 minutes to nice beaches, there's development in Florida. Here's a map of new home developments:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/v...!4b1?entry=ttu

The City of Vero Beach overcharging homeowners have been well documented:

https://nofpua.com/fort-pierce-ua-an...-same-rip-off/

https://archive.tcpalm.com/opinion/g...47406581.html/

The sale of the electric company to FPL has ended the unfair billing practices, but electric rates are still expected to increase as of Jan 2022:

https://www.independent.org/news/article.asp?id=2598

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/...22/9080639002/

My older population comment was for zip code 32963..the island. The median age there is 69.2:

https://www.florida-demographics.com...sian%20(1.4%25).

The median age for America is 38.9, thus my Vero 32963 is older statement factual.

Maybe this forum went dark due to posters atacking each other over factual comments being made

I've stayed in Vero many many times, & still am considering moving to 32963 next, but I was explaining why I didnt want to move there 7 years ago, & was asking of these issues have abated.

My parents moved from St. Lucie West to Vero then back to St. Lucie West, & said these issues have not abated. They've been in the area for 30 years...they are in their late 80's, so the older population is fine by them. They prefer the PGA village area over the Vero mainland. Dad also likes being closer to his PGA golf courses and retired PGA pals...but he LOVES Indian River County Club, & its membership, & that remains his favorite place to play due to its members.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:07 AM

451 posts, read 497,062 times
Quote:
I post in a few other forums, & look in on this one occasionally, & am dissappointed by the lack of activity.

I have family in this forum area, and am considering 32963 as our next stop.

Is anyone out there?
It's funny. I just came to this area in the past week to look for homes, and I was thinking the same thing.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
It's funny. I just came to this area in the past week to look for homes, and I was thinking the same thing.
Are you looking out on the Island in Vero Beach, or on the mainland in Vero or elsewhere?

If mainland, be aware of the train tracks that run North-South, because in the future, 32 high speed passenger trains a day will go through downtown, & that creates vibration, noise, & mini traffic disruptions. I'd want to be at least 1 mile away from those tracks...& the futher the better.

I think freight trains will still use those same tracks, but when I last stayed there, I only heard freight trains at night and early morning...not during the day, but I just stayed for 1 month a few years ago.

Also, read the threads about airport noise. I'd want to be at least 1 mile from that too.

There are posters here that will poo poo both issues, & some realtors will not be transparent, so ask local residents who live in those zones, if you are looking to buy there.

For most people, our home is our biggest investment, so why take any risk?

Out on the barrier island, you don't have to worry about those things, except when you go grocery shopping across the bridge on the mainland. That is why I started looking exclusively on the island, which is zip code 32963.

Keep us posted on how your search is progressing. I think its a great area, that doesn't get much tourism, but has great uncrowded beaches & restaurants. There's a lot of wealth, but they are not flashy like you see in Miami, WPB, Ft. Lauderdale, or Boca...quite the opposite...very low key & under the radar.

32963 will very likely be my next stop, after I leave Southern Sarasota County. My parents were in Vero for a few years, but they moved back to St. Lucie West, to be closer to the PGA golf complex, retail, & restaurants that they like the most.

Old 07-28-2023, 11:33 AM

451 posts, read 497,062 times
Quote:
Are you looking out on the Island in Vero Beach, or on the mainland in Vero or elsewhere?

If mainland, be aware of the train tracks that run North-South, because in the future, 32 high speed passenger trains a day will go through downtown, & that creates vibration, noise, & mini traffic disruptions. I'd want to be at least 1 mile away from those tracks...& the futher the better.

I think freight trains will still use those same tracks, but when I last stayed there, I only heard freight trains at night and early morning...not during the day, but I just stayed for 1 month a few years ago.

Also, read the threads about airport noise. I'd want to be at least 1 mile from that too.

There are posters here that will poo poo both issues, & some realtors will not be transparent, so ask local residents who live in those zones, if you are looking to buy there.

For most people, our home is our biggest investment, so why take any risk?

Out on the barrier island, you don't have to worry about those things, except when you go grocery shopping across the bridge on the mainland. That is why I started looking exclusively on the island, which is zip code 32963.

Keep us posted on how your search is progressing. I think its a great area, that doesn't get much tourism, but has great uncrowded beaches & restaurants. There's a lot of wealth, but they are not flashy like you see in Miami, WPB, Ft. Lauderdale, or Boca...quite the opposite...very low key & under the radar.

32963 will very likely be my next stop, after I leave Southern Sarasota County. My parents were in Vero for a few years, but they moved back to St. Lucie West, to be closer to the PGA golf complex, retail, & restaurants that they like the most.

Thanks Beach. I always appreciate and respect your advice. I totally agree with you about trains and planes. I actually haven't been looking in Vero because I need more going on like shopping, etc. I'm just used to being in a bigger city, and I already have concerns about the lack of shopping, etc., in PSL compared to what I was used to where my home was in the Orlando suburbs. Anyway, I posted a new thread earlier on this forum about Port St. Lucie's property taxes if you or someone could look at that and give me insight on that one. It's interesting that your parents live here so I bet you have a lot of knowledge on that subject, too, like you do pretty much everything. I'm in Port St. Lucie now and have been for a week, but I don't know for how much longer because of the property taxes. Hopefully you'll see that post that I did and give me your normal great advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach