Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 09:12 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'd say maybe 0.01% of the population has a schedule where they always have something to do from the minute they wake up to the minute they go to sleep. Most people don't spend their downtime outside surfing or kayaking. They sit on their couch and watch tv for hours. Hence, why the majority of people are overweight. lol just saying... I'm not sure couch potatoes can talk smack about people who are on social media and online forums. As far as I know, most streets are void of people walking outside in Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach, so it's not like it's some anomaly where the majority of people spend their downtime outdoors prepping for the next triathlon.

The honest answer for the OP is small population and older population (older populations tend to be less tech savvy).
I cut out cable TV ~10 yrs ago, so hardly ever turn on a TV. My laptop is all I need.

I think you are right that this forum area has less population than most others in FLA.

Ususally Realtors are active on C-D, and keep the forums alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 10:17 AM

481 posts, read 759,425 times
Agreed. That usually the realtors keep it active. I guess us other folks do not have anything to share or complain about. Just enjoying life on the beautiful treasure coast!!

What would you like to see more on here?

Old 06-01-2023, 10:28 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLCarPool View Post
Agreed. That usually the realtors keep it active. I guess us other folks do not have anything to share or complain about. Just enjoying life on the beautiful treasure coast!!

What would you like to see more on here?
Mr. Purple caught me up quite well. Other things I'd like to see discussed in the future are:

When the Brightline trains start running daily, it would be nice to hear what locals think of it, and where the station gets built.

Any new residential construction taking place or in planning on the Island. River Club was still being built when I was there looking, so anything newer than that. There was still a few large swaths of land on the island back then.

Also, how the 3+ story condo's are being impacted by the new concrete inspection laws...HOA impacts.

Any news relating to boating, such as new marina's, changes at the yacht club, health of the Indian River estuary.

Old 06-01-2023, 02:13 PM

481 posts, read 759,425 times
Great! I will provide feedback on the Brightline trains once they start passing through our area. As for the other areas of interest, there are other members who are knowledgeable and engaged in those topics.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:05 PM

679 posts, read 877,323 times
I think the main reason this sub is quiet is because the Treasure Coast is still flying under the radar. There just aren't dozens of people clamoring for information on moving here. And it's a smaller population, as others have said. The entire county of Indian River has just over 150,000 people. One of the reasons I love it here.

Old 06-01-2023, 09:36 PM

236 posts, read 388,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Mr. Purple caught me up quite well. Other things I'd like to see discussed in the future are:

When the Brightline trains start running daily, it would be nice to hear what locals think of it, and where the station gets built.

Any new residential construction taking place or in planning on the Island. River Club was still being built when I was there looking, so anything newer than that. There was still a few large swaths of land on the island back then.

Also, how the 3+ story condo's are being impacted by the new concrete inspection laws...HOA impacts.

Any news relating to boating, such as new marina's, changes at the yacht club, health of the Indian River estuary.
As part of Martin County's legal settlement with Brightline, Brightline is obligated to build a train station on the Treasure Coast within a certain number of years from when they start providing service from Orlando. One of the columnists for the local paper, the TCPalm, seems to be a cheer leader for Fort Pierce getting the Brightline Station. I live in Jensen Beach, so If I'm taking the Brightline south it seems like a waste to drive 15 miles north in the opposite direction. I might as well just drive to the West Palm Station. I assume all the people living in Stuart and Palm City will also prefer to just drive to West Palm.

Brightline is expensive. I think tickets from West Palm to Miami are almost $50 one way. Brightline will obviously require passengers with some discretionary income and Martin County will have more of those people. For this reason I think Brightline should locate in Stuart if they are focused on the economics. Costco has been trying to get into Martin County for the last 10 years, while locals try to keep them out with lawsuits, yet Costco persists because they've done the market research and know Martin County is where the money is. St Lucie county has begged Costco to locate there but they refuse in favor of fighting to get into Martin County. I assume Brightline will do the same market research an realize Stuart makes more sense than Fort Pierce. However, there could also be politics and the possibility of incentives from Fort Pierce that help Fort Pierce get the station.

Downtown Stuart is also much nicer than downtown Fort Pierce. The best part of Fort Pierce is on Hutchinson Island near the inlet and the train station will not be built anywhere near there.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:46 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
Keep in mind that both Martin and Indian River counties sued Brightline (back when it was still Virgin, I believe) and Stuart just recently filed yet another lawsuit against Brightline. Personally, I think that doesn't bode well at all for Martin County/Stuart.

There is tons of development going on in downtown Fort Pierce and on the weekends there is so much going on, you can't find a place to park.

The previous poster is correct that Brightline is obligated to build a station on the Treasure Coast.

I believe the trains are beginning their runs to Orlando around October.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:47 AM

236 posts, read 388,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Keep in mind that both Martin and Indian River counties sued Brightline (back when it was still Virgin, I believe) and Stuart just recently filed yet another lawsuit against Brightline. Personally, I think that doesn't bode well at all for Martin County/Stuart.

There is tons of development going on in downtown Fort Pierce and on the weekends there is so much going on, you can't find a place to park.

The previous poster is correct that Brightline is obligated to build a station on the Treasure Coast.

I believe the trains are beginning their runs to Orlando around October.
I didn't think it was Stuart that filed the recent suite against Brightline. I believe it was the boating/marine industry that filed the suite due to the amount of time Brightline planed to close the bridge which would cut off access to the ocean for boaters west of Stuart.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:54 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
I didn't think it was Stuart that filed the recent suite against Brightline. I believe it was the boating/marine industry that filed the suite due to the amount of time Brightline planed to close the bridge which would cut off access to the ocean for boaters west of Stuart.
I stand corrected! Mea culpa

It is businesses in Stuart.

Old 06-03-2023, 08:18 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,169,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Small population

Makes for less complainers which most boards are full of so maybe this area is just more laid back than the bigger places.

Maybe we are more used to diversity in our neighborhoods, don't care who you voted for , aren't as influenced by others, and can think for ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach