Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM

29,615 posts, read 16,605,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Its a pretty common sense question that should have been asked. My birth certificate is not from America, where is my citizenship paperwork? This is a pretty bad situation for him, but you make an exception for one person then you need to make an exception for millions of people.
Not its not.

We don't actually define citizenship by where you are born. And its not that hard to believe that an American would assume their child is an American just by being their child/parent.

They assumed wrong, but that certainly isn't common sense since most Americans are born here and this is a unique situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

51,001 posts, read 36,695,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
That's unfortunate but should have known he wasn't an American.
How should he have known, if government entities were issuing him Social Security card and drivers licenses, etc.?

Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

10,545 posts, read 4,081,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Wonder if he's ever held a US passport?

I had to show my birth certificate to get a passport.
I had to show my birth certificate to get the new "real ID", and my understanding is that they are good for only 10 to 8 years. So how in the world did this guy get one without a legit background check?

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

27,709 posts, read 16,201,935 times
Asylum time. Cool. Free housing medical and food. Live it up

Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM

23,863 posts, read 12,705,334 times
Children born of US citizens are citizens no matter where they are born, but there are some caveats to that.

In this case, they cannot find where his father had established a physical presence and satisfied the residence requirements in this country within a 10-year period before the child was born.

But in a 2022 denial letter, the agency stated Klass didn’t provide enough evidence to prove his father lived in the U.S. for 10 years before Klass was born, which is a requirement for a child seeking citizenship through a parent.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/s...t-here-legally

The guy doesn't seem all that bummed out about it and said he'll go back to Canada if things don't work out. But I hope they do get this straightened out, or at least as one poster had mentioned...pay him back all of the money he'd paid in...and with interest.

Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM

7,989 posts, read 3,519,178 times
If he's here illegally he's entitled to all sorts of freebies from the Biden administration. Healthcare, prepaid debit cards, preferred housing. He hit the jackpot!

Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM

8,291 posts, read 3,528,253 times
Could be a fake story for some reason.

Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM

13,583 posts, read 10,004,314 times
My American citizen child had to apply for Australian citizenship when we moved to Australia, but there were no requirements except to prove lineage.

So my child’s “citizen by decent” Australian citizenship was granted as soon as the paperwork was verified.

It was just a matter of formality.

Given this guy was born to a US parent, I would assume he was automatically entitled to citizenship but the formality was not followed through on. If he has access to his father’s records then it should be a matter of filing the paperwork and making it official. I’m not sure exactly how it works in the US.

Of course being 2 on arrival having a SSN would lead one to believe that had been taken care of at some point. He was not being intentionally deceptive. Records would not have been computerised in his childhood, so we can’t hold him to today’s standards.

Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM

13,583 posts, read 10,004,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Children born of US citizens are citizens no matter where they are born, but there are some caveats to that.

In this case, they cannot find where his father had established a physical presence and satisfied the residence requirements in this country within a 10-year period before the child was born.

But in a 2022 denial letter, the agency stated Klass didn’t provide enough evidence to prove his father lived in the U.S. for 10 years before Klass was born, which is a requirement for a child seeking citizenship through a parent.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/s...t-here-legally

The guy doesn't seem all that bummed out about it and said he'll go back to Canada if things don't work out. But I hope they do get this straightened out, or at least as one poster had mentioned...pay him back all of the money he'd paid in...and with interest.
Didn’t see this.

Ah there’s a residency requirement.

That’s interesting.

Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM

2,988 posts, read 3,544,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
So, people have been talking about this one. Jimmy Klass, who was born in Canada to a Canadian mother and American father, came to the US when he was 2. Went to school, the military, had ID's and voted and had a social security card, but when he went to collect, he finds out he is not an American citizen.

How is this even possible?

https://youtu.be/GfaCQKusgGE?si=5J_F6CZNpipIQqyZ
If he was born to an American Citizen father, I'm pretty sure that makes him a citizen of the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies