Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM

13,583 posts, read 10,004,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
If he was born to an American Citizen father, I'm pretty sure that makes him a citizen of the USA.
Apparently not if he can’t prove his father lived in the US for 10 years prior to his birth. (Or for a period of time during the 10 years prior to his birth? Not sure).

Which seems a weird arbitrary requirement to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM

23,863 posts, read 12,705,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Apparently not if he can’t prove his father lived in the US for 10 years prior to his birth. (Or for a period of time during the 10 years prior to his birth? Not sure).

Which seems a weird arbitrary requirement to me.
A period of time, from what I'd read. I think about 8 consecutive months during that 10-year period is adequate.

Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM

13,583 posts, read 10,004,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
A period of time, from what I'd read. I think about 8 consecutive months during that 10-year period is adequate.
Thank you. I wonder how common this knowledge is? It’s quite easy to be an expat of your home country for more than a decade.

The funny thing is if you’re an American citizen you still have to file tax returns with the IRS no matter how long you live abroad, but you can’t claim your child as a citizen if you’ve been non resident.

Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,360,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Someone at the Social Security office screwed up and gave an undocumented alien a SSN. Dunno how that's going to work at this point. One of the requirements for transfering citizenship from a US citizen to a child born abroad is an affidavit of citizenship from the parent. Presumably his dad is dead at this point. Maybe they'll let that requirement slide though and he can apply for citizenship without it.
Not "undocumented" alien... Illegal alien.

Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM

23,863 posts, read 12,705,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Thank you. I wonder how common this knowledge is? It’s quite easy to be an expat of your home country for more than a decade.

The funny thing is if you’re an American citizen you still have to file tax returns with the IRS no matter how long you live abroad, but you can’t claim your child as a citizen if you’ve been non resident.
Easy to find with the internet, which this guy didn't have when he was younger. He probably never questioned if he was a citizen or not since he'd lived his life as a citizen and the government had screwed up and had never questioned it for decades.

Old Today, 05:40 AM

10,255 posts, read 6,346,458 times
Anyone remember when some were saying that McCain could not run for the Presidency because he was not a Natural Born Citizen? Born in Panama on Naval Base where his US Citizen parents were serving.

Old Today, 05:48 AM

6,004 posts, read 2,255,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I had to show my birth certificate to get the new "real ID", and my understanding is that they are good for only 10 to 8 years. So how in the world did this guy get one without a legit background check?
My experience may clarify. Born in Germany to military family, moved to US at 4, had the long form birth certificate from Ramestine AFB and used that for decades until 2018. College, medical licensure, DEA etc. on and on.

In 2018 Florida decided that birth certificate was not useful for renewing license so I had to:
1. Present my birth certificate that they did not want to use, social security card, and current evidence of residence in the state to the local vital records office.

2. They issued a new birth certificate that looks like everyone else’s

3. Took that to the DL office and boom all done and will never have to do it again.

So now I have two birth certificates, my original, and the new one from Florida. There was no background check.

Keep in mind I have had a ton of level 2 background checks for years due to profession and no one has ever questioned my birth certificate from Germany until this new system started and even then it was a stupid hurdle to jump, did nothing to ensure anything in my case.

Old Today, 05:52 AM

59,315 posts, read 27,477,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
So, people have been talking about this one. Jimmy Klass, who was born in Canada to a Canadian mother and American father, came to the US when he was 2. Went to school, the military, had ID's and voted and had a social security card, but when he went to collect, he finds out he is not an American citizen.

How is this even possible?

https://youtu.be/GfaCQKusgGE?si=5J_F6CZNpipIQqyZ
"How is this even possible? "

I'm surprised you have to ask!

Maybe it is time you started to broaden where you get your "news".

Old Today, 06:15 AM

10,255 posts, read 6,346,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I guess his parents didn't know the process.

I have a sort of similar story. I was born overseas, because my dad was stationed on a European military base. Both parents citizens, my dad an officer in the military. I was brought here when I was 2, and when I was 7 had to go through a process to declare citizenship loyalty, and then was declared a citizen from birth. At the time I could have asked for duel citizenship, but really, there wasn't any point in it.

His family didn't know how to do that. I'm sure military families know, because they have support of the military to become educated in what to do when you have a child born on foreign soil.
Similar situation with neighbors son. He was born in Germany while his Dad served there. Difference in that his Mom was German. The son told me that he "had to" renounce his German citizenship when he was an Adult. Maybe when he was in Law school? His Mom is still a German citizen. Maybe she wanted him to decide for himself when he was an adult?

Old Today, 07:26 AM

10,548 posts, read 4,081,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
If he's here illegally he's entitled to all sorts of freebies from the Biden administration. Healthcare, prepaid debit cards, preferred housing. He hit the jackpot!
Eh, probably not. He isn't exactly running away from a dangerous country for asylum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies