Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 08:09 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times

Advertisements

What's that old saying - there are only two kinds of coaches. Those that have been fired and those that are going to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 08:43 AM

207 posts, read 148,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Thanks for your honest feedback. Congratulations to your Nuggets, who were clearly the better team. However, they have a tough series ahead against the Lakers, who will be a more formidable opponent than the Suns. Getting back to the Suns, I agree the KD trade was geared more towards the future as the team had little time to gel after he was acquired. One thing I am sure of is that Ayton has to go because he certainly doesn't want to play for the Suns, regardless of what he tells the media. They're also going to need a starting point guard to replace Paul, who has been overtaken by father time. If he's on the team next season he should come off the bench. Now, to Monty, I think he should get another year but his seat should be warm because he gets outcoached and is too slow to make in-game adjustments. His teams, in elimination games, are never ready to compete and end up getting blown out. We have enough of a sample size to easily make that assessment. He's a great regular season coach, but playoffs are another story.

On another note, what led you back to Colorado?
Yes, I am very worried about the Lakers series, but I was worried about the Suns series too. The Lakers have been a nemesis for Nuggets fans for a long time, but I'm cautiously optimistic that this is the year that the Nuggets finally get by them. We'll see.

I don't think letting Monty go was the right move, but it sounds like the new owner was never really a fan. I think Monty did a phenomenal job with that team and the players really seem to enjoy playing for him (well, except for Ayton, but that's more about him than Monty). I'm curious to see who they think they can bring in that will do a better job as coach, and there needs to be a lot of roster moves.

As for me, we were just tired of the heat in AZ and had always wanted to move back to CO. It gets tricky when kids are in the picture, as it never seems like the right time to move them. But we moved back in 2019 and are really happy that we did. I'll always love AZ and will always be a very proud Sun Devil, but just needed a change.

Old 05-17-2023, 08:11 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoCO1 View Post
I don't think letting Monty go was the right move, but it sounds like the new owner was never really a fan. I think Monty did a phenomenal job with that team and the players really seem to enjoy playing for him (well, except for Ayton, but that's more about him than Monty). I'm curious to see who they think they can bring in that will do a better job as coach, and there needs to be a lot of roster moves.
Monty was one of those "likeable" kind of guys in a touchy, feely sort of way. I thought he was a good coach overall, and apparently this viewpoint was shared by the league when he was named Coach of the Year during the season prior. Still, he wasn't the best, and there were times when he seemed a bit too passive. Compared to the Nuggets coach, Monty looked like a wimp. Plus, some of the decisions to omit key players from a few games left me scratching my head. Overall, a sad move, but it was a business decision. The Suns are long overdue for a championship win, and I think the new owner is attempting to do what it takes to make it happen.

Quote:
As for me, we were just tired of the heat in AZ and had always wanted to move back to CO.
In most cases, the summer heat gets more monotonous & harder to handle the longer a person lives here. That certainly is the case for me, and I enjoy vacationing in the Colorado mountains during the summer. Winters are a different story.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:52 AM

I agree with all that you said Native. I'm curious to see who the next coach is and what they do with the roster. In the meantime, I'll bask in the Nuggets glory for as long as I can! I think we're both on the same page when we cheer for anyone but the dreaded Lakers.

I really don't mind the winters here. I love the snow, and my family has gotten into skiing and snowboarding, so that's been nice. But it's certainly not for everyone.

Old 05-21-2023, 12:37 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Same problem in Maryland with the Redskins...owner is a quintessential jerk.
All pro sports teams are owned by Billionaires, right?

Show me a billionaire that is not a massive jerk…
Not to say that ALL are, but the vast majority. Suns & Commanders aren’t alone having a jerk owning the teams.
I’m not so sure about this new guy Ishbia either…
But as long as he can hire the right people that can guild a great team around Booker while we still have him & get us back to the Finals…

I can only think of a few pro team owners out there that appear to be okay people.

Old 05-21-2023, 12:47 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Quote:
Yes, I am very worried about the Lakers series, but I was worried about the Suns series too. The Lakers have been a nemesis for Nuggets fans for a long time, but I'm cautiously optimistic that this is the year that the Nuggets finally get by them. We'll see.

As for me, we were just tired of the heat in AZ and had always wanted to move back to CO. It gets tricky when kids are in the picture, as it never seems like the right time to move them. But we moved back in 2019 and are really happy that we did. I'll always love AZ and will always be a very proud Sun Devil, but just needed a change.

This series is proving exactly what a lot of us said during the Suns/Nuggets series, that was really the WCFs which happened 1-series early because of playoff seeding. The winner of that one was always going to the NBA finals.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:24 AM

Yep, I have been greatly enjoying the Nuggets/Lakers series. I didn't expect the Nuggets to be up 3-0, and I don't expect them to sweep tonight. But, I am very optimistic about their chances to close out the series soon. At least all Suns and Nuggets fans can bond over our common hatred for the Lakers!

Old 05-29-2023, 03:47 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Quote:

I understand your desire to move back to CO to get out of the desert heat. Colorado is a beautiful state. As for Monty and the Lakers, I struck out on both! I suspected Monty might lose his job, but never thought the Lakers would get swept! I'm from Boston, but have a hard time seeing any of the east teams beating Denver in a seven game series. You all should be preparing for a parade!

Old 05-30-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I understand your desire to move back to CO to get out of the desert heat. Colorado is a beautiful state. As for Monty and the Lakers, I struck out on both! I suspected Monty might lose his job, but never thought the Lakers would get swept! I'm from Boston, but have a hard time seeing any of the east teams beating Denver in a seven game series. You all should be preparing for a parade!
Sorry, can't rep you again yet, but I sure hope that we have a parade in our near future. Denver went crazy for the Avs on their parades, but I think the city would really enjoy a Nuggets parade. It has been a very long time coming, 47 years to be exact, so hopefully they can make it happen!

Old 06-02-2023, 09:58 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Quote:
Sorry, can't rep you again yet, but I sure hope that we have a parade in our near future. Denver went crazy for the Avs on their parades, but I think the city would really enjoy a Nuggets parade. It has been a very long time coming, 47 years to be exact, so hopefully they can make it happen!
Do Denver residents care about the Nuggets? To me it felt like the lowest of the big 4 teams in the area, I attended a Suns/Nuggets game in January, I was up there freezing my tail of for a work trip and decided to take in the game. The environment inside Ball was okay, nothing like Phoenix but didn't feel rabid at all.

I was cheering for the Nuggets in the Lakers series, but now as the underdogs and 8th seed I'm pulling for the Heat to get an upset.

Last edited by locolife; 06-02-2023 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area