Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:34 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,685,242 times

Advertisements

We were home-cooking for several weeks but now we've finally done it -- ventured into RAW!! Although not entirely (too chicken.)

We found a diamond in the rough Pet Pantry which only sells the best foods (Innova and such) and the owner feeds her own Sheltie "Nature's Variety Beef Diet", frozen, raw medallions of beef, which we give him with his Innova Evo kibble. Also mix in a couple of tablespoons of Merrick's canned with the kibble so that he'll eat it.

I have finally succeeded in eliminating all grains from his dog food and guess what? His ears are cleared up -- finally!!! No more shaking his head and chronic yeast (?) infections!! He hears better LOL, and is more frisky (he's 12). And the poohs in the yard don't resemble those of a Doberman any longer!

If anyone's as chicken about feeding Raw as we were, these prepared, frozen medallions (or patties) are truly great so far. It's been two weeks, so wanted to wait to see any difference before posting :>)

We get the medallions out of the freezer (handy zip-lock bag) & put in fridge the night before (in a little "Lock & Lock") and they are thawed nicely for the next day. Had to wean him slowly, so we started with one medallion for a week, then yesterday, he graduated up to two, with less kibble. Next week, he'll be up to his 3 medallions.

Steel dishes are recommended for dog food, especially Raw. Naturesvariety.com has oodles of info, if anyone would like to see more info.

I sprinkle some "Call of The Wild" supplement when I remember to (it was very important when I was cooking myself), and some Omega 3 fish oil.
He really hates the fish, so don't do this every day, because the current diet does not have me worrying so much.

Certainly can't beat the peace of mind! We were certainly fortunate to have found this Pet Pantry, and it's worth the trips out there because the lady really cares.

Chele123, please check the recall lists. Many, many Drs Foster & Smith products have been recalled.

Last edited by Travel'r; 05-27-2007 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 04:04 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,854,275 times
Thanks for the heads up Travel'r, but I had already emailed Fosters and Smith. The senior feed is not involved. The nice thing about them is they notify by email if any of their food is questionable! I am not worry free though, because of all that has gone on and the deeper we dig the worse it gets. I have been thinking about feeding our dogs homemade food. I know they would love it!

Old 05-27-2007, 08:13 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,290,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
We were home-cooking for several weeks but now we've finally done it -- ventured into RAW!! Although not entirely (too chicken.)

We found a diamond in the rough Pet Pantry which only sells the best foods (Innova and such) and the owner feeds her own Sheltie "Nature's Variety Beef Diet", frozen, raw medallions of beef, which we give him with his Innova Evo kibble. Also mix in a couple of tablespoons of Merrick's canned with the kibble so that he'll eat it.

I have finally succeeded in eliminating all grains from his dog food and guess what? His ears are cleared up -- finally!!! No more shaking his head and chronic yeast (?) infections!! He hears better LOL, and is more frisky (he's 12). And the poohs in the yard don't resemble those of a Doberman any longer!

If anyone's as chicken about feeding Raw as we were, these prepared, frozen medallions (or patties) are truly great so far. It's been two weeks, so wanted to wait to see any difference before posting :>)

We get the medallions out of the freezer (handy zip-lock bag) & put in fridge the night before (in a little "Lock & Lock") and they are thawed nicely for the next day. Had to wean him slowly, so we started with one medallion for a week, then yesterday, he graduated up to two, with less kibble. Next week, he'll be up to his 3 medallions.

Steel dishes are recommended for dog food, especially Raw. Naturesvariety.com has oodles of info, if anyone would like to see more info.

I sprinkle some "Call of The Wild" supplement when I remember to (it was very important when I was cooking myself), and some Omega 3 fish oil.
He really hates the fish, so don't do this every day, because the current diet does not have me worrying so much.

Certainly can't beat the peace of mind! We were certainly fortunate to have found this Pet Pantry, and it's worth the trips out there because the lady really cares.

Chele123, please check the recall lists. Many, many Drs Foster & Smith products have been recalled.
Bravo!! Sounds like things are looking up for you Is the Merrick canned not something else? Truly, it's human grade food and if you were stranded in a snowstorm and actually starving, you could eat it. The clincher? Doesn't smell like dog food does it?

Old 05-27-2007, 08:52 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,685,242 times
Ahhh, tempting, CleosMom. :>)

As we were driving home with the cans that day, I was so worried that it was the one where people find the real wings, bones & all in there LOL The bag of Raw was aready intimidating enough LOL.

We had him on the Innova cans before this and it made the kitchen smell like dinner, too, but the little fuss-bucket wouldn't eat it

Last edited by Travel'r; 05-27-2007 at 09:02 PM..

Old 05-28-2007, 04:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,060,998 times
I admire anyone who does raw.
I just don't know if/when I'll ever be ready to take that plunge.
But thanks for sharing your latest venture, Travel'r.
We have always fed Canidae but I really like my animals to be used to more than one food. Now that I have access to a good petfood store, I will look into Innova. And maybe, at some point, raw...

Old 06-03-2007, 11:01 PM

90 posts, read 368,708 times
With all of the pet food recalls a lot of people are plunging into RAW uninformed and this can be bad! Please if you are considering RAW, educate yourself.

Kibble that is close to feeding RAW...Innova EVO and Orijen among a few others.

I feed Canidae at the moment and I really like it. No imported anything.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,290,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorblueyes View Post
With all of the pet food recalls a lot of people are plunging into RAW uninformed and this can be bad! Please if you are considering RAW, educate yourself.

Kibble that is close to feeding RAW...Innova EVO and Orijen among a few others.

I feed Canidae at the moment and I really like it. No imported anything.
From what I've learned the lamb in the Canidae is imported, however that's a good thing. All lamb for dog food that is sold both here in the States and also sent to other countries comes from New Zealand as they have the cleanest lamb. The US lamb cannot be shipped out of the US or so I'm told.

Having said that, yepperz, I feed Canidae as well

Old 06-04-2007, 05:03 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,718,050 times
What is this RAW? Is it a name brand (I notice it's all caps)? Or, is it the same as plain raw?
How do you figure out the correct amount of protein that should be fed? I know too much protein can be harmful.

Last edited by swbtoo; 06-04-2007 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 06-04-2007, 05:25 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,288,560 times
No, not a brand name....the raw diet, also called BARF (bones and raw food) - if you google BARF you will find a lot of info on how much and what to feed your dog.

Dogs are primarily carnivores so it would be pretty hard to overfeed protein. I do have one Rottweiler, though, that is allergic or something to beef - if it isn't chicken, it's coming right back up...there are also certain veggies I mix with their meals, but you can find a ton of info - some of it will be conflicting, you just have to find what works for you.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:55 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,718,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
No, not a brand name....the raw diet, also called BARF (bones and raw food) - if you google BARF you will find a lot of info on how much and what to feed your dog.

Dogs are primarily carnivores so it would be pretty hard to overfeed protein. I do have one Rottweiler, though, that is allergic or something to beef - if it isn't chicken, it's coming right back up...there are also certain veggies I mix with their meals, but you can find a ton of info - some of it will be conflicting, you just have to find what works for you.
Thanks. I'm familiar with BARF. Wasn't sure whether RAW was something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets