Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:28 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,219,774 times

Advertisements

It's been a while since I owned horses, but here's what I found from my experience:

If you are new to horses, I would recommend boarding them at a professional stable. It will allow you to 'ease in' to horse ownership and provide company for your horse (horses really need company).

I would not recommend sharing a horse if that is what 'share-boarding' means. You would be surprised at how differently two people can feel about things. It helps that you don't plan to compete, but I just think it's a complication which could cause problems.

You would need to decide whether to do full board (where someone else mucks out/ feeds/ turns out your horse, etc) or whether you will simply stable him/ her at a facility, but will take care of him/her yourself. If you can afford it, I would start out with full board and work down from there.

Two of the biggest considerations to take into account are time and cost. When I worked up to two show jumpers I was training (mostly dressage)two horses every day for about an hour each. They had one day off per week, and one hack day per week.
Horses require a lot of time and commitment. You can't just decide not to feed them one morning because you are tired or it's raining or snowing. You also can't really just stop riding them for extended periods of time unless you turn them out and lunge them to keep them active and supple.

The other thing is the cost. Horses are expensive. Again, good that you don't want to compete - but maybe you might want to start. That opens up whole new avenues of cost! It's fun, but riding is an expensive sport, and horse ownership can get really expensive, especially if you do decide to board.

In terms of choosing the right horse for you; yes the discipline they are trained in is important. Your level of experience and comfort is important. Are you looking for someone 'bomb proof' or someone with some 'pep'.
Age of the horse. An older, quiet horse with experience may be great for your first horse - after a while you may want to look for someone younger who you can mold.

Get out and ride as many as possible. I spent weeks looking for my last showjumper (a young, talented and beautiful Danish Warmblood). Some looked right with other people but didn't click with me. I knew he was right as soon as I got on his back even though he was a year or two younger than I thought I wanted.
Honestly it's like test driving a car or finding a spouse. You have to try and bunch before you find the right one!

All this talk or horses makes me miss it!! Who knows, maybe one day I'll get back in the saddle....

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 11:34 AM

9,719 posts, read 14,257,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
what if we go on vacation?
Please do keep the information coming. Thanks!
Oh, yeah! That's another thing. When we had horses, "vacation" was not a word in our vocabulary, unless it was from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. the same day. You just can't take a vacation from responsibility, unless, your board the horse somewhere, and pay others to attend to these matters. We were never in to that, though.

Also HBKitchen....That was a great post! I sometimes forget about show horses. Our horses were pleasure horses, and we owned our own very large farm. We just rode through our fields and woods, and practically lived with the horses. Which brings to mind, houses are springing up in our area, which are built to accommodate horses under them.....i.e. Living quarters on the second floor, and horse stable on the ground level. Wonder how they make out with flies, and odors???

Last edited by rdlr; 07-03-2008 at 11:43 AM..

Old 07-03-2008, 12:35 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
3 days a week! Horses are 24/7.... Forget riding you would spend time grooming & cleaning stall. But who would be feeding [at least 2 times a day] Grooming & cleaning the other days? And will they horse be in stall all the time when would he have turn out time to roll streach & just be a horse??

Old 07-03-2008, 03:26 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,542 times
That is right 24/7 every day of every year. Holidays are just another day, no such thing as vacations. Any extra cash saved ended up in the feed store, the vet, the farrier, the tack shop. Spend a nite walkin a horse that is collicking, waitin on the vet and forget about resting yourself! Oh and does your significant other also have your horse desires, if not well now you have another hugh problem. After 10 yrs with a horse and 5 yrs with the husband who doesnt like horses who do you pick? lol
Yep another single cowgirl here...horse never whine, complain, or talk back, I love em

Old 07-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Another thing TACK & GROOMING Supplies. You dont want to share your horses brushes any more than you would let someone use your toothbrush. & Saddle Must fit the horse as well as your butt. Or the horse will have sore Back & you a sore Butt. Same with a bridle. And you have to keep them Clean which take time...or the horse can still be sore.

I would love to know what you have learned on horse care & ownership. Or were these just riding lessons?

Old 07-03-2008, 05:47 PM

Katie1 Dont you find it amazing how many parents get their kids riding lessons than pay big bucks out to buy a horse and neither the kids or the parents have a clue on the care needed. Around the age of 7 my daughter got the bug and so I donated her time to a barn to muck stalls, groom and feed BEFORE AND AFTER school. Well unlike most kids she loved it didnt even fuss at getting up at 4 a.m., she is now pre vet .......I taught her to well lol

Old 07-03-2008, 06:25 PM

Great will she practice in Fl? I need a good vet for my corgi Katie when I move!

Not me buddy I learned from the ground up! I have Broken bones & bad back to prove it. Had my girls 1 born 1984 purchased her 1985 I held her when the vet put her down do to injuries inflicted by another horse in 2002. My sons horse was 13 yrs old when I purchased her. I held her in 2000 When she was put to sleep do to age problems she was 26 at the time. When things were rough I did not sell them but I will tell you THEY ATE BEFORE I did. To me an animal IS a life time commitment!

Old 07-03-2008, 06:53 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
3 days a week! Horses are 24/7.... Forget riding you would spend time grooming & cleaning stall. But who would be feeding [at least 2 times a day] Grooming & cleaning the other days? And will they horse be in stall all the time when would he have turn out time to roll streach & just be a horse??
Thanks Katie- this is why I am thinking about share boarding - my understanding of this is that someone who owns a horse may not be able to ride it enough and wants someone to help split costs and to exersize it by riding.

I know right now I wouldn't be able to ride more then 3 days (factoring in the grooming, hanging out etc). I am not adverse to the physical labor involved and certainly understand a horse is a huge responsibility which is why I am trying to learn from you and the other posters. Some of the horse people I meet make it sound so easy though I know it isn't.

Painter unfortunately my husband is not into horses, but he supports me in my interest. He is an ultra marathon runner (hobby) and spends a lot of time training, and I support him in that.

I would like to continue my lessons to make sure I can ride safely. At the barn they let me help with small things so I am picking up things slowly. I am reading a lot and trying to expand my knowledge.

Everything posted so far has been very helpful. Please keep it coming

Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 PM

Get up a 4 am those 3 days a week & muck stalls & clean tack. Be there to meet the vet when ever he comes. Stay up when there is a sick horse needing tending. Dont forget to got to work after suport your hubby . But for awhile do everything with going to the stable FIRST. In 6 months you still want a horse get back to me.
Oh NONE of my injuries happened on top of the horse!! When you can say that you would get hurt FIRST BEFORE you will let the horse get hurt on killed Then you are ready for a horse.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:51 PM

Katie1 She'll probably be practicing in middle to east tn somewhere, transfer to UT pretty soon. She is the only person I have ever seen put a horse to sleep just by talking, or get a wild deer off barb wire thats tangle and bloody. She has a gift!!
You know I have had horses from cold butt winters in Northern Indiana to the hurricanes of Florida and I can honestly say they come first. My daughter and I was out in the middle of a hurricane trying to keep her boy from getting in the pool when the fences blew away...the barn went while we were out there. Scary sh---

Calidreemer, there is so much to think about and you will never learn enough. Can you find a mentor to help you? Or take on a part time job in a barn somewhere. I have had people hang around and give a hand just for the learning, it is usually welcomed. I too say work the stalls for 6 months, no excuses to miss or be late and then see what you think. I did it to a child I am sure you can. It will either make you or break you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets