Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 07:36 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Someone i know, we had worked together and were friendly, moved away to a family home in Mississippi several years before Hurricane Katrina hit. She had a kitty and had had her for many years. When Katrina was coming she left the kitty behind as she said, "her neighbor was driving with her and her husband and was allergic". I was devastated and shocked that she did this and haven't gotten over it or forgiven her.

I had such horrible thoughts about this poor cat being left behind, as i do with any animal left. When she told me I told her what I thought/felt about what she did and she said in a quiet way she understood and there was rationalization about it. She knows what a huge animal person I am. In my mind i said no, there is no rationalizing this.

Whenever I would see her, she would come back to the area to visit her son, it was ALWAYS on my mind. I always felt very angry with her.

Fast forward to now, she has moved back here and wants to be "friends" again and spend time together. I realized i just can't, this lingers and I don't care about her after what she did.

I guess I'm wondering how other people have dealt with this, feelings about such a horrible thing.

I have seen this person a couple of times since she has been back and over that time have realized the anger i have towards her and also realize this is not a friendship I want in my life.

Thanks for any replies.
No way in he!! could I be friendly with someone who did this. Us pet parents take our fur babies (all of them) seriously. I agree with you 100%!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 08:51 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
Someone i know, we had worked together and were friendly, moved away to a family home in Mississippi several years before Hurricane Katrina hit. She had a kitty and had had her for many years. When Katrina was coming she left the kitty behind as she said, "her neighbor was driving with her and her husband and was allergic". I was devastated and shocked that she did this and haven't gotten over it or forgiven her.

To be honest, I think you are being very unfair to your friend. I worked for a rescue during Katrina. Our people drove hundreds of miles down to the area to help with rescue and you would NOT believe what the hell was going on down there. It was absolutely horrendous. You cannot judge this woman for what she had to do. People were FORCED to leave their pets behind by the authorities in some areas. They absolutely refused to take the animals. Humans only. (not everywhere, but in some places.) We had some reunions, thank God and the people were so beyond ecstatic. It was a horrible thing to have to choose between your life and leaving your pet behind. Please try to have more compassion towards your friend. These people went through absolute hell on earth during Katrina. A lot of people had to make heartwrenching decisions. Please keep this in mind. If, by chance, your friend seems indifferent, it may be because she cannot, herself deal with the guilt of what she was forced to do. Please have compassion for her.

peace...

Old 09-14-2019, 11:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
To be honest, I think you are being very unfair to your friend. I worked for a rescue during Katrina. Our people drove hundreds of miles down to the area to help with rescue and you would NOT believe what the hell was going on down there. It was absolutely horrendous. You cannot judge this woman for what she had to do. People were FORCED to leave their pets behind by the authorities in some areas. They absolutely refused to take the animals. Humans only. (not everywhere, but in some places.) We had some reunions, thank God and the people were so beyond ecstatic. It was a horrible thing to have to choose between your life and leaving your pet behind. Please try to have more compassion towards your friend. These people went through absolute hell on earth during Katrina. A lot of people had to make heartwrenching decisions. Please keep this in mind. If, by chance, your friend seems indifferent, it may be because she cannot, herself deal with the guilt of what she was forced to do. Please have compassion for her.

peace...
The poster did not at all state the friend was forced to leave by authorities. The reason for leaving the pet behind was because the husband of someone giving her a ride was allergic to cats.

I work with rescues in Florida, I have seen all the excuses in the world...

Old 09-14-2019, 11:17 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,184 times
Quote:
No, she left it in the house, it was a house cat. She consciously did this.

Oh, no. So wrong. Your pet is a lifelong commitment. They depend on you. No, that person is not a friend.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:58 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The poster did not at all state the friend was forced to leave by authorities. The reason for leaving the pet behind was because the husband of someone giving her a ride was allergic to cats.

I work with rescues in Florida, I have seen all the excuses in the world...
ACTUALLY if you do go back and re-read the Post, it WAS during Hurricane Katrina, and YES folks were forced to leave the animals behind. Back then they did not have the resources to house pets given the levy breaking . They were so disorganized from National Guard to the City itself.

I think .sparrow did a wonderful post .

Certainly because you work at rescues places now ( which I thank you), doesn't mean BACK during Katrina they had the same "emergency " plan in effect.

I don't recall though too many just packing up and driving off in the rainy sunset when Katrina hit hard. Most who did evacuate did it DAYS before the horrendous event.....So I think it would help to qualify how soon before Katrina they all piled in a car.... Was it moments before?

Old 09-15-2019, 04:48 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
It doesnt matter when they left. They left in a CAR. They had the resource to take the cat. Those who couldnt take their pets were being rescued by rescuers. No one was told if they left in their own car to leave pets behind.

I stand by what I said.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:28 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,782 times
If this person were to say something to me like,

"I just want you to know, you were right, I should have taken my cat with me. I've always deeply regretted not doing so and will do everything I can for my animals now and in the future ... "

then I think we would have a good chance of renewing this friendship.

Otherwise .... pfftt

Old 09-15-2019, 07:42 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
I totally agree. I could NEVER be friends with someone who would do such a thing. It's not a conscious decision on my part, even. I just could not be friends with someone who is cruel to people OR animals. Not my kind of person.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:47 AM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
ACTUALLY if you do go back and re-read the Post, it WAS during Hurricane Katrina, and YES folks were forced to leave the animals behind. Back then they did not have the resources to house pets given the levy breaking . They were so disorganized from National Guard to the City itself.

Certainly because you work at rescues places now ( which I thank you), doesn't mean BACK during Katrina they had the same "emergency " plan in effect.

I don't recall though too many just packing up and driving off in the rainy sunset when Katrina hit hard. Most who did evacuate did it DAYS before the horrendous event.....So I think it would help to qualify how soon before Katrina they all piled in a car.... Was it moments before?
Thank you. And to the bold, that cannot be stressed enough.

To the others. the OP said this:
Quote:
When Katrina was coming she left the kitty behind as she said, "When Katrina was coming she left the kitty behind as she said, her neighbor was driving with her and her husband and was allergic.
Was the husband's allergies severe? Again, it could have been a case of choose the human life or choose the pet. People were desperate during Katrina and if the neighbors were going with her in her car, then they probably didn't have any other choice. Perhaps they were elderly? Maybe the friend had to make a horrible painful sacrifice in order to help her neighbors.

The OP does not seem to have enough information to actually JUDGE her friend. And to me, that makes her not much of a friend. At least take the time to REALLY understand the situation before you judge. Especially if she was, what the OP called a "Friend" at one time. That's all I'm saying. We dealt with so many sad situations during Katrina and some things are not as it seems.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:51 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

They left in a car.

I live in south Louisiana. EVERYONE who lives there KNOWS that they will, sooner or later, have to evacuate because of a hurricane or flooding. Everyone.

If a person can't handle arrangements for pets in the emergency, if they don't even CARE enough, they shouldn't have pets.

These people were also not coming back. They were moving. Just like anyone else who would be moving. You don't leave your pet behind when you move.

Some people when evacuating DO leave outside cats behind because they figure the cats would have a good chance of being fine, they think. In areas where the destruction isn't total. Because cats can climb and get into small protected spaces. They also can hunt and find enough to eat, esp if you leave them with some source of food to last a while. I wouldn't do that, but some do. IF they are outside cats. Indoor cats don't have the experience and skills to do that.

I would never leave pets behind. If I had to, I'd take them in my car and park on the side of the road in an area of safety, if I had to, with my gun for protection. I would not leave my beloved pets on their own. BUT I've located several hotels that take pets, for me to go to, if I have to evacuate. That's what pet owners do. (You also need cash & pet supplies ready to go, for an evacuation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets