Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 06:41 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,846,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post

But many don't see it that way. Because pet-people are very often bat**** crazy.
And those that are relatively ignorant of the process are often bat*** ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 06:55 PM

14,689 posts, read 12,357,808 times
The obvious answer is, yes, of course animal shelters have the right. They own the animal and have a duty to do right by it.

Most do the best they can. Some that I have personally known, get too close to the trees to see the forest, so to speak, and lose such trust in people that they start rejecting even good people... in search of only the perfect. When that happens, they're doing a disservice.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:25 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,425,827 times
I adopted a cat through a rescue and had to jump through hoops to get her. Was surprised they didn't run a credit check just to make sure I was financially responsible and could afford a pet, but they did contact all of my references. That was in 2012. Taffee has been just the best companion and has such a funny, grumpy and loving personality. Definitely was worth the hassle.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:09 PM

11,125 posts, read 5,630,835 times
Why would anyone pay so much money for a dog or cat at a shelter, when there are many being offered free by private individuals? The shelters even try to force you to have them sexually mutilated-------you have to pay for it, even if you don't have it done. I've never had to go looking for a cat. They always come to my place on their own and adopt me. They are better suited to decide where and with who they will live, than anyone at an animal shelter.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:26 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,619,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Why would anyone pay so much money for a dog or cat at a shelter, when there are many being offered free by private individuals? The shelters even try to force you to have them sexually mutilated-------you have to pay for it, even if you don't have it done. I've never had to go looking for a cat. They always come to my place on their own and adopt me. They are better suited to decide where and with who they will live, than anyone at an animal shelter.
Do you mean spayed or neutered?

Old 01-16-2019, 08:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,936,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Here we have Exhibit A concerning the question of why shelters/rescues are necessary in our society.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:38 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,785,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
The goal is to place it in a home where it won't be brought back again. You don't put a pet in a home where there is a known potential problem.
And when shelters won't give critters away to perfectly good homes that don't meet their arbitrary 'standards'? So that critters stay locked in a shelter... puppy-mills get more business. *If* said home was unfit, they're still going to get a critter, and it's going to end up in a shelter. Nothing has been accomplished here except to make two homeless pets instead of one.

This practice does the critters no good. The goal should be to place them in a decent home... and *most* critter homes are far more decent than a shelter or the street.

But it sure does make the pet-nazis feel virtuous. Which is really the whole point of this exercise, isn't it

Old 01-16-2019, 09:03 PM

11,125 posts, read 5,630,835 times
Quote:
And when shelters won't give critters away to perfectly good homes that don't meet their arbitrary 'standards'? So that critters stay locked in a shelter... puppy-mills get more business. *If* said home was unfit, they're still going to get a critter, and it's going to end up in a shelter. Nothing has been accomplished here except to make two homeless pets instead of one.

This practice does the critters no good. The goal should be to place them in a decent home... and *most* critter homes are far more decent than a shelter or the street.

But it sure does make the pet-nazis feel virtuous. Which is really the whole point of this exercise, isn't it
This thread, as should have been expected, has brought some of them out of the woodwork.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,903,053 times
Quote:

Having animals return is a huge burden on everyone, when simple steps can be taken to minimize it. Sure, then they can go to a mill or whatever, that is on them, at least a shelter does not have to be an active participant in their negligence.

I volunteer and some of the people that want animals cannot even take care of themselves. there are renters who by their lease cannot have a pet, yet still try and state something like "our landlord verbally said it is ok" or "we will just hide it". This is the type of people that try to adopt.

And it is funny just how predictable these people are when they do return an animal. For example, for cats, magically, 99% of all returns is when the cat is around 18 months old, and the excuse is always something about someone is allergic. Fact is the cat is no longer a kitten, they do not want it anymore. And yes, we have had these idiots try to adopt again.

I will say some shelters go a bit overboard on things, most of these rules are a result of knee jerk reactions instead of logic. Got plenty of examples of idiot rules.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:12 PM

3,108 posts, read 2,453,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Property rights. Shelter owns the pet, shelter makes the rules for adoption.
Agreed. Someone who shows up at an animal shelter doesn't have a right to a pet.

If a private owner had to find a new home for their pet, nobody would have any problem with them turning away a random person who inquired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets