Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:12 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,570,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
An article on Dailymail.com quoted a "tired, broken-hearted vet" in South Africa as saying most people don't understand that if they do not stay with their pet during euthanasia, the pet ends up frightened and looking around desperately for their owner as they are euthanized.

Broke my heart. Vets say it is the responsibility of the owner to be there. I agree...it's hard but our last responsibility to our beloved pet.
I’m actually tearing up as I write this but I’ve stayed with every one of my as they were euthanized. As much as it hurt and believe me I was a blubbering baby I wouldn’t think of leaving them alone at such time. Imo it’s no different than leaving a loved family member to die alone. I could never do that to a human I won’t do it to a pet I consider family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 10:16 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,705,589 times
I've had two dogs put down and a cat. The cat was first and I had it done in the vet's office. Even with me there he was scared. In a way it still haunts me and I feel guilty about the whole event.

By the time the dogs were old and too sick, I had found a vet that comes to my home to put them down. Nothing could have been more peaceful and stress free for them. They got to spend their last moments in their home, in their own beds. In the case of the first dog to go, she had her buddy there with her too (a few years later the other dog only had me, but seemed at peace with it). Both dogs heard over and over, "you're a good dog" as they passed on.

I highly recommend, if you can afford it (it's not much more money), having the vet come to your house to euthanize.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:25 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
Quote:
I've wondered about very large dogs...how to get them to the vet when ill. That's one reason I don't have one, no way could I pick one up...great that some vets are helpful in that way.

It's terribly hard to be in the room, but I try not to think, just HOLD THEM AND BE THERE for my cat.
A friend will help me take my large dog. Or the 'Pet Taxi', or a Vet will come here if needed.I effing hate that with each of them I have to think about this in advance, but we all know it's going to happen.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:29 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,842,291 times
Last summer, a family friend had to have her elderly little chihuahua euthanized. I asked if she planned on being with him. She said no, she couldnt, and she was in tears. I offered to do that, just so he'd see someone familiar, and she agreed.

I drove them to the vet, and asked her if there were any other little names she used to call him--names he was used to hearing, so I could say them to him. At that point, she said she'd hold him, and asked me to go in with them. It was hard for her, but she told me later that she was happy she did it.

It's always a sad day when they're euthanized, and it doesn't matter how sick they were. Some people just cannot handle being there, and I'd never want someone, a loving pet owner, to feel guilty about that. Personally, though, I need to be there. I want my pets to see me, and to hear me calling them "special" names.

It's a sad part of the journey we share with our companion animals--remembering how cute they were, what good little pets they were, how happy we were to have them...

...and telling them so.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:32 AM

19,060 posts, read 13,985,530 times
I did it for my father's dog when he was hit by a car. He was barely hanging on. My father called me because he thought he was having a heart attack from witnessing it. He went to the hospital, I took the dog to the vet. Traumatic night. I had to drive from the vet to the hospital at one point to ask my father how much he was willing to spend trying to save the dog. Ultimately, there was nothing they could do for him so I hugged and pet him while the process unfolded until he passed. It was tough even though he wasn't my dog. It did seem like he wanted my father there, they were very close.

As my dog just hit 10 years old, I've been thinking about this a lot. He seems to be the picture of health, but I know the years are winding down. I picked him up off the street when he was only a few months old. He's been with me through a lot of changes in 10 short years. It's going to be very hard on me. I probably won't get another dog for a long time, if ever once he passes.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-11-2018, 10:57 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,794,549 times
Quote:
An article on Dailymail.com quoted a "tired, broken-hearted vet" in South Africa as saying most people don't understand that if they do not stay with their pet during euthanasia, the pet ends up frightened and looking around desperately for their owner as they are euthanized.

Broke my heart. Vets say it is the responsibility of the owner to be there. I agree...it's hard but our last responsibility to our beloved pet.
I was there when I put mine down. The Vet was streaming tears also...It took me 5 min to put the van in gear and drive away.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:01 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,914,481 times
I've had to have one pet put to sleep (rabbit) when I was a kid, but I didn't watch. My beloved house rabbit of ten years passed last year at home and I watched her take her last breath....it still haunts me. I'm very emotional when it comes to my pets and I am not sure if I could handle watching them be put to sleep--but I know I will do it. I'd feel tremendous guilt if they died without me there for comfort. I'm often left to deal with everything alone given my husband works a crazy job and sometimes is gone for days, but I surely hope he can help me if we ever have to make this choice.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:43 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,351,978 times
I have two dogs that are pushing 13. It isn't really about wanting to be there or not, but needing to be. Should either need to be euthanized, my face will be the last they see, my voice the last they hear, my touch the last they feel.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,320,130 times
Quote:

In the past I have had to euthanize three of my dogs but have a great vet. He doesn't insist anyone stays with their animal (he says he understands the pain for some people to go through it) but when you do want to he has a quiet room in the back where you can sit on the floor and hold them, pet them, talk to them and sob like a baby. It upsets me even now when I think of it and once my last 2 reach that point I vow I will never get another dog again. But, never is a very long time and it's odd how the things you don't plan will come of their own accord somehow, we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I have two dogs that are pushing 13. It isn't really about wanting to be there or not, but needing to be. Should either need to be euthanized, my face will be the last they see, my voice the last they hear, my touch the last they feel.
Yes, well said and they will need you there because you care.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:19 PM

19,060 posts, read 13,985,530 times
Real tough thread. The pets of my youth all left me in different ways, none through death, so when my buddy Eddie goes this will be my first time facing this. I'm just going to have to focus on the good times and the fact that I was able to give him a good home for some long after rescuing him off the streets of a bad neighborhood

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets