Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:47 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
I know someone else already affirmed this, but you should definitely go with the horse that you feel safe on. I just bought my horse a few months ago, and it's a great feeling to go to the barn and know that I can pretty much do anything with this horse and he will take it all in stride and take care of me. He isn't the age or the color that I would have picked if someone had given me a bunch of pictures and said to pick your favorite, but I have fallen in love with him because he is perfect for my and my abilities. Just being able to use the phrase "my horse" brings a smile to me every time I say it! I suppose it takes time for a horse to really connect with one person, so don't be discouraged if this horse doesn't seem to connect to you right away. He'll learn who his "mom" is after a while! Also, realize that this horse might suit you for the next five years, but you may also "trade up" as your ability changes.

As far as the barn you are at, it sounds like a nice place with many owners who are happy and are willing to help you. I don't think you will go wrong with purchasing from them. My daughter and I are finally at a barn like this and are really enjoying our horses.
Thanks for the boost of confidence !
I am kind of new to the area (8 months). It is so different, small country town and big city.
I feel, in my heart, that these are good,honest people. I am almost embarrassed with "the city" in me coming out , but I am learning to trust more and more.
I have been told that "Pretty doesn't make a good horse". And not to judge on appearances ( other than the obvious).
My trainer was telling me a story about a conversation he had. Someone had asked him "What type of bit do I need ?" His response was and always is "A bit of knowledge."
I admire his ability and knowledge with horses. So much that he says, just makes perfect sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 11:40 AM

This is a picture of one of the horses my trainer is suggesting for me

She is a 6 y.o. paint. Stands 14.2 hands.

I have ridden her a few times and bathed her the other day.
She isn't the biggest thing, but might be a good starter.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:54 AM

996 posts, read 3,278,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
This is a picture of one of the horses my trainer is suggesting for me

She is a 6 y.o. paint. Stands 14.2 hands.

I have ridden her a few times and bathed her the other day.
She isn't the biggest thing, but might be a good starter.
She looks beautiful! She's a good age and 14.2 is a good size.

Here's a pic of my 19 years young Appaloosa:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...1/100_0096.jpg

That was in September. Now he looks like a white wooly mammoth!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:59 AM

Gorgeous ! I love Apps !
How big is he ??

Where are you at ? Do you get snow ?
I was told that when it gets cold, the horses get a bit more frisky. We are expected to drop to 24 tomorrow morning. I wanted to ride, but not sure.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 PM

996 posts, read 3,278,440 times
He is about 15.1. I am in Northeast PA and yes, we have been getting alot of snow so far this winter. It's been very cold here and today we are having a snow/sleet/freezing rain storm.

Sometimes the cold, and especially, windy conditions do seem to make the horses a bit friskier. My horse has been no problem so far, but I know several people who lunge their horses before riding just to give them an opportunity to get the "friskiness" (bucking or whatever they might do) over with before getting on.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
He is about 15.1. I am in Northeast PA and yes, we have been getting alot of snow so far this winter. It's been very cold here and today we are having a snow/sleet/freezing rain storm.

Sometimes the cold, and especially, windy conditions do seem to make the horses a bit friskier. My horse has been no problem so far, but I know several people who lunge their horses before riding just to give them an opportunity to get the "friskiness" (bucking or whatever they might do) over with before getting on.
I might just go and do some ground work with her tomorrow.
I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing the bucking horse yet. I had asked one of the trainers to ride her the other day, so I could see her from the ground in action. She did kick her hind legs out twice when he gave her a slight kick into a lope. Once he went to voice commands (clucking??) she went into a lope without bucking. He said she was bucking to tell him that she did not need to be kicked to perform. Could she just be a gentle ride ????

Old 12-16-2007, 08:30 PM

528 posts, read 2,480,816 times
The Paint is very pretty !

Here is my Appy, doing what she does best:

My journey into the equestrian world.....-resting.jpg

Old 12-17-2007, 01:12 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,183,971 times
qbaby you have chosen a wonderful hobbie! Expensive. but the rewards are awesome. I was raised with horses and we showed all over the country.

When trotting make sure your stirrups are long enough and you need to squeeze with your inner thighs a lot. Until you get use to your seating while riding your inner thighs will get sore then firmer.

Biters~~ sometimes it takes giving them a good shanking (jerking on the lead rope hard a few times in a row) to get their attention then show them you are boss, even a pop in the mouth with a firm NO! With any horse you have to have confidence or the horse will pick up on it and control YOU. Also it is better to have your horse in cross ties so their head can't come around to nip at you.

Being you are looking at your first horse I wouldn't go with one under 5 or 6 years of age. You don't want one so old that it may have a shorter life span but you don't want a green broke (barely broke to ride) one either. We had a few that lived into their 30's. A sound horse is more important than looks really, you don't want one that has leg problems.

It is hard to float teeth takes a lot of muscle, that is why we let our dad do most of it. Drove me nuts to hear that rasp file grinding down on their teeth eeewww. But the horses felt better afterwards.

Don't be in a hurry to find the right horse when you see one you will know it is for you. Maybe first buy your saddle etc then you start using it daily. Make sure you have somebody with you that knows about saddles to fit your seat right. A good saddle is as important as a good pair of boots. Plus using your own saddle while riding you will "set your seat" better no matter what horse you are riding.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

Old 12-17-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
qbaby you have chosen a wonderful hobbie! Expensive. but the rewards are awesome. I was raised with horses and we showed all over the country.

When trotting make sure your stirrups are long enough and you need to squeeze with your inner thighs a lot. Until you get use to your seating while riding your inner thighs will get sore then firmer.
I have noticed the sore inner thighs ! But that's a good thing ! Just tells me that they should of been tighter a long time ago. I actually am enjoying the soreness, makes me feel alive.
Biters~~ sometimes it takes giving them a good shanking (jerking on the lead rope hard a few times in a row) to get their attention then show them you are boss, even a pop in the mouth with a firm NO! With any horse you have to have confidence or the horse will pick up on it and control YOU. Also it is better to have your horse in cross ties so their head can't come around to nip at you.

Being you are looking at your first horse I wouldn't go with one under 5 or 6 years of age. You don't want one so old that it may have a shorter life span but you don't want a green broke (barely broke to ride) one either. We had a few that lived into their 30's. A sound horse is more important than looks really, you don't want one that has leg problems.
My trainer would not put me on a green horse, as he know the level of my experience. He i s a safety freak, which I can appreciate greatly.
It is hard to float teeth takes a lot of muscle, that is why we let our dad do most of it. Drove me nuts to hear that rasp file grinding down on their teeth eeewww. But the horses felt better afterwards.Yes, it does sound horrible ! I can imagine the muscle it takes to float teeth, along with the courage to stick your whole arm in their mouth.

Don't be in a hurry to find the right horse when you see one you will know it is for you. Maybe first buy your saddle etc then you start using it daily. Make sure you have somebody with you that knows about saddles to fit your seat right. A good saddle is as important as a good pair of boots. Plus using your own saddle while riding you will "set your seat" better no matter what horse you are riding.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us![/color]
Thank you, for contributing ! This has become an obsession for me. I am truly hooked. I find myself having direction in my days now, rather than just floating around.
My only son turned 18 recently. I have been a SAHM for a good time now. I was beginning to feel lost now that the move is over, son grown..... empty nest syndrome, I guess. (Although he hasn't moved out yet, I know it's coming.)
I am so excited for this opportunity and experience.

Again, Thanks to all that contribute in my journey !
Q

Old 12-17-2007, 04:37 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,852 times
Really pretty paint. I love the large patches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets