Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,467,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
Rode again yesterday. Not sore today.

Good riding day, another long day of lessons.
Stayed in the big ring with another student and a man that boards his horse there. We did some barrel exercises. Not getting into barrel racing myself, but I guess it's about controlling the horse in different situations.

Does anyone have any tips on staying in the saddle during a trot ? I did better yesterday, but at times found myself floundering.

AND, what would be your opinion on the following situation, please.

Currently I am riding twice a week at $30 a lesson. $240 a month.
I am told, if I purchase a horse on a payment plan (small down pymt, ) pay $100 a month towards balance of horse and $100 month for complete boarding (farrier, teeth, feed etc.) and receive as many lessons I want a month for free.
Does this sound like a good deal to you ? Would you consider it ?

If I found out that this is not something I want to do, I'd pretty much only be out the down pymt., and pre purchase vet bill.
Would you be the only one riding the horse? Would it be the biter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 10:53 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,256,660 times
The trouble with buying a horse over time is that if something happens to the horse (injury, illness, etc) and it becomes unusable, or worse passes away, you are going to have to continue making payments. And there are always problems with things like who pays the vet bill for major stuff. You can argue that you don't own the horse yet and the seller can argue that you do. I agree, I would do a lease. You can try it for 6 months and if it is the right horse then you buy. Just make sure there is a very clear, detailed agreement on paper that gets signed by both parties.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:55 AM

528 posts, read 2,483,348 times
a lease sounds like a better way to go, but what is the purchase price of the horse, and what training has it had?

Old 12-16-2007, 07:11 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,163,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Would you be the only one riding the horse? Would it be the biter?
Yes, I would be the only rider with the exception of my husband taking lessons as well.
NO, it would definitely NOT be "Miss Happy Teeth" (aka biter). I have come to the realization that her and I just do not click.
"Miss Happy Teeth" got a new home over the weekend. A woman I was taking lessons with traded her horse (that she bought from the same trainer) for "Miss Happy Teeth". In casual conversation, before she traded, I did tell her about the situation. Her horse was just a little too spirited for her.

Last edited by theqbaby; 12-16-2007 at 07:24 AM..

Old 12-16-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
The trouble with buying a horse over time is that if something happens to the horse (injury, illness, etc) and it becomes unusable, or worse passes away, you are going to have to continue making payments. And there are always problems with things like who pays the vet bill for major stuff. You can argue that you don't own the horse yet and the seller can argue that you do. I agree, I would do a lease. You can try it for 6 months and if it is the right horse then you buy. Just make sure there is a very clear, detailed agreement on paper that gets signed by both parties.
Thanks for bringing these to my attention. I asked about these questions.
In writing:
If the horse needed vet care, the fee would be split up until she was 70% paid off.
Again if the horse dies, it would be split with the same stipulations as above.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
a lease sounds like a better way to go, but what is the purchase price of the horse, and what training has it had?
The horse would be one that was "broke = child safe". One that has been at his ranch for a period of time.
The purchase price, well that depends on which horse and bloodlines.

I have built a relationship/friendship with the family. Last night I was invited to a fish fry at the ranch and I went. Just about everybody there has bought and/or traded up from
this ranch. As stated in my earlier post about "Miss Happy Teeth".

I also live in a very small town of S.Georgia, the kind where everybody knows everybody. And when in different groups of people, having asked about this man and his business dealings, I have not gotten a sour word as of yet, just lots of positive comments.

Last edited by theqbaby; 12-16-2007 at 07:41 AM..

Old 12-16-2007, 07:29 AM

Here's a question, not sure how to phrase it...

You know when you go to the pound, say to get a puppy. And as your walking through you catch the eyes of that one dog that you JUST KNOW is for you, do you have the same feeling with a horse.
I guess I am struggling because I haven't had that tremendous feeling yet.
I have thought, yeah this could be the one, but I need to get to know him/her better.
Maybe it is because I haven't been around horses all my life.?
Am I expecting too much emotion/affection ?
Should I be more concerned about the type of performance out of the horse ? What would best suit my riding needs and experience.
I could "connect" with a certain horse and have it be too far advanced for my riding experience. Which may lead to a bad situation and discourage me from riding.

Hope someone understands what I am trying to ask.
I am leaning on the performance part with the thought of BUILDING a bond with the horse, not expecting one form the get go.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:06 AM

528 posts, read 2,483,348 times
Quote:

You know when you go to the pound, say to get a puppy. And as your walking through you catch the eyes of that one dog that you JUST KNOW is for you, do you have the same feeling with a horse.
I have thought, yeah this could be the one, but I need to get to know him/her better.
Should I be more concerned about the type of performance out of the horse ? What would best suit my riding needs and experience.
I could "connect" with a certain horse and have it be too far advanced for my riding experience. Which may lead to a bad situation and discourage me from riding.

I am leaning on the performance part with the thought of BUILDING a bond with the horse, not expecting one form the get go.
I don't think one should approach buying a horse that that way (or even a puppy in the shelter, as the one you hone in on could turn out to have a Cujo temperament)....besides, you are talking about a 1200 pound animal versus a 50 pound dog.
You should definitely look for what suits your riding and abilities....the "saintly packer" is what you want...a horse that's been-there-done-that, doesn't frazzle, takes care of you, is tolerant of your skills (and those of others), and as you advance he'll give you "more". They are worth their weight in gold, and you will bond with it very quickly .

Old 12-16-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
I don't think one should approach buying a horse that that way (or even a puppy in the shelter, as the one you hone in on could turn out to have a Cujo temperament)....besides, you are talking about a 1200 pound animal versus a 50 pound dog.
You should definitely look for what suits your riding and abilities....the "saintly packer" is what you want...a horse that's been-there-done-that, doesn't frazzle, takes care of you, is tolerant of your skills (and those of others), and as you advance he'll give you "more". They are worth their weight in gold, and you will bond with it very quickly .
Thank you ! I felt that way, but wasn't sure if I was correct about my feelings.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:36 AM

996 posts, read 3,282,521 times
Quote:

I know someone else already affirmed this, but you should definitely go with the horse that you feel safe on. I just bought my horse a few months ago, and it's a great feeling to go to the barn and know that I can pretty much do anything with this horse and he will take it all in stride and take care of me. He isn't the age or the color that I would have picked if someone had given me a bunch of pictures and said to pick your favorite, but I have fallen in love with him because he is perfect for my and my abilities. Just being able to use the phrase "my horse" brings a smile to me every time I say it! I suppose it takes time for a horse to really connect with one person, so don't be discouraged if this horse doesn't seem to connect to you right away. He'll learn who his "mom" is after a while! Also, realize that this horse might suit you for the next five years, but you may also "trade up" as your ability changes.

As far as the barn you are at, it sounds like a nice place with many owners who are happy and are willing to help you. I don't think you will go wrong with purchasing from them. My daughter and I are finally at a barn like this and are really enjoying our horses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets