Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,211,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
This concept is being over-analysed ...

It does take 5 minutes or less to post on Craigslist if you know what you are doing

Then in the less than 1 in 100 cases when someone replies with proof that
they have been desperately searching for their beloved pet
that is a happy ending I would think for the owner, dog & rescue..

In my experience owners that find a loved pet insist on a reward to at least cover
expenses the rescuer incurred...
If the pet owner is searching that hard on the internet, then they will come across the listing for their dog as soon as the rescue lists it. And no rescue ever adopts out a dog immediately and without checking out the potential new owners' credentials.

You are acting like the rescues list their dogs like an eBay buy-it-now auction. It's so not so. I've adopted several dogs from rescues, and each time, the adoption process took well over a week to complete.

Again, dog owners NEED to have their pets microchipped and to keep their contact information current.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,027,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If the pet owner is searching that hard on the internet, then they will come across the listing for their dog as soon as the rescue lists it.
I know ton's of placed animals that were never listed..The placements can happen with friends & friends of friends..I see this all the time..

Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 AM
miu

I found that news article on the selling of lost pets by unscrupulous people. It's called "pet flipping".

http://www.globalanimal.org/2013/07/...e-rise/102851/

Quote:
n a typical pet-flipping situation, a criminal will get hold of a pet — either by stealing it or seeing the animal in a “Pet found” poster or ad on Craigslist and claiming to be the owner — and then turn around and sell it for a quick profit. I
Also, there are websites where owners of lost pets can list them.

Quote:
Indy Lost Pet Alert claims to have helped to reunite 2,670 pets with their owners in the Indianapolis area since the service launched in March 2012.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Because the idea just isn't feasible...
Thats your reason for being rude???
Why not discuss the issue instead of personal attacks ??
Much more mature debate that way..

I am done because we simply disagree and it has
begun to feel like I am banging my head against a
brick wall..repeatedly !!!!!

I just reported the thread, hoping a moderator will
close it because of personal attacks..

Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 AM
miu

Quote:
I know ton's of placed animals that were never listed..The placements can happen with friends & friends of friends..I see this all the time..
Where's your documentation?

Anyway, I feel that you think that rescues snatch up these dogs at animal shelters like antique dealers at a church sale, and turn around to rehome these dogs for a profit... and from my personal experiences, it's just not so.

Many rescues in the northern states bring up shelter dogs from the south. And there are so many unwanted dogs down there. In the south, many dog owners don't bother to spay and neuter their dogs, so there are many litters of unwanted mutts. And many owners keep their dogs outside, many don't bother with the expense of heartworm preventative. I used to do dog transport for the American Brittany Spaniel rescue, and so many of these fine dogs were set loose in the countryside between hunting seasons. One good friend of mine from the Mobile, AL area told me that he was a rare owner with keeping his two hunting dogs inside his house.

Anyway, if you are so concerned, then YOU spend YOUR time and organize a lost pet registry. YOU work with the rescues in your area and YOU be the one to list up their new dogs for their former owners to find. A rescue's mission statement is to find good homes for unwanted homeless dogs, and most of the ones they have are ones that were just days away from being euthanized. It's just not up to you to decide how they should run their rescues. Those rescues work hard and are their for the well-being of their dogs and they do a great job helping these dogs find a good home, and perhaps a home that is better suited for having a dog, like a house having a completely fenced in yard that is escape-proof.

And I'd say that in the vast majority of cases, a rescued dog's forever home is a far better home for them than their first one. There are really a lot of negligent owners out there, buying them from mall pet stores or puppy mills, then treating the dog like a animated stuffed animal for their kids. And if they had just microchipped their dog in the first place, if the dog was ever lost, a vet or animal control officer can scan the dog and know the owner's contact information.

So again, the very simple answer to this situation is.... MICROCHIPPING!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:39 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,442,433 times
Default It's the owner's responsibility. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I've spent my whole life volunteering and fostering....which has included reuniting owners with pets. Not to mention the many times I've done so when a 'stray' came into my veterinary hospital.

I'm not advocating for the rescue to hold animals. I'm advocating for them to make a simple, good faith effort to post a found ad. That's it. It costs zero resources and marginal effort. And you know what...it might not yield results 9 times out of 10. But the one time it does is one less animal the rescue has to worry about AND it's simply a moral responsibility to make that good faith effort.
I have lost a dog before and I did my part in finding my dog. She was gone three days but I had posted online in as many places as I could think of, put up flyers on every stop sign within two miles, and paid for FindFido to call every landline within a 20-mile radius to alert people of her being missing. She is chipped with a reflective collar that has her name and my phone number printed on it, plus her rabies tag and a pet ID tag. The flyers is what got her found.

It's not the rescue's fault an owner did not find their dog.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:48 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,505,795 times
Quote:
Thats your reason for being rude??? Why not discuss the issue instead of personal attacks ?? Much more mature debate that way..I just reported the thread, hoping a moderator will close it because of personal attacks..
Really? That seems a little unneeded. I haven't read anything that came across like a personal attack... simply that most people seem in agreement on this and it doesn't happen to line up with your beliefs.

You are advocating that rescues take the time to post a craigslist ad. Everyone else is arguing that rescues already have too much to do and there is no reason for volunteers who are already giving up so much time, money and energy to keep these animals from being killed should have to do even more... particularly when the responsibility for recovering/not losing pets should be on the owners.

With all the technology available today, an owner who cares and takes good care of the pet will have it micro-chipped. If they failed to do that, they will search all available resources, going to the shelters daily, contacting local breed rescue groups and SENDING them a picture of the pet (hint: the OWNER doing the legwork, not expecting the over-taxed rescue to do so), checking PetFinder daily. If the owner contacts all rescue groups within a 200 mile radius and sends them pictures of their lost pet, wouldn't that accomplish the same as a craigslist ad? Frankly, craigslist isn't necessarily the go-to place in some parts of the country. I'm not sure most would even think to check there. If the owner isn't willing to make those efforts to recover the pet, it is unreasonable to expect the rescue (which is already assuming the cost of feeding, housing and medical care) to do even more. At some point, people have to take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:54 PM
miu

Another aspect to posting a found dog ad, which btw is only helpful if the rescue is getting their dogs from local shelters... but how are they do weed through all the responses from fake owners emailing and hoping to get themselves a free dog? And that's additional time and effort that the rescues can't spare.

And really the best thing that kelly237 can do is spread the word herself and encourage ALL dog owners to microchip their dogs.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I've spent my whole life volunteering and fostering....which has included reuniting owners with pets. Not to mention the many times I've done so when a 'stray' came into my veterinary hospital.

I'm not advocating for the rescue to hold animals. I'm advocating for them to make a simple, good faith effort to post a found ad. That's it. It costs zero resources and marginal effort. And you know what...it might not yield results 9 times out of 10. But the one time it does is one less animal the rescue has to worry about AND it's simply a moral responsibility to make that good faith effort.
Exactly !!!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,884,655 times
closed for review

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets