Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 11:25 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You actually don’t know what qualifies or not. I work at a financial institution and the language reads a lot more generic than you suggest.
So we are clear, you are suggesting that this financial institution specified what a qualifying DD is in this manner:

Quote:
A qualifying Direct Deposit is an Automated Clearing House (ACH) credit, which may include payroll, pension or government payments (such as Social Security)
But any old ACH transfer will actually do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 11:53 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
So we are clear, you are suggesting that this financial institution specified what a qualifying DD is in this manner:

But any old ACH transfer will actually do?
Skip the offer, no reason for you to be bothered by the nuances. Yes a regular old ach can potentially meet the qualifications and has done so for me many times at different institutions when a direct deposit is required. This states “ a qualifying direct deposit is an ACH credit which may include XXX” it doesn’t say must include “XXX”

An ach deposit going from say chase to ft is a direct deposit, as it goes directly between institutions through the ach system

Old 04-26-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Skip the offer, no reason for you to be bothered by the nuances. Yes a regular old ach can potentially meet the qualifications and has done so for me many times at different institutions when a direct deposit is required. This states “ a qualifying direct deposit is an ACH credit which may include XXX” it doesn’t say must include “XXX”

An ach deposit going from say chase to ft is a direct deposit, as it goes directly between institutions through the ach system
I'm seeking to clarify, not dog on the offer. I appreciate OP telling about it here. I think that is a service to people who like to do offers like these and sign up bonuses on credit cards.

My experience has been that they clearly list what is a qualifying direct deposit, and the ones that will accept any transfer explicitly say so.

You're saying you'd open this account and try giving it transfers from your bank to test whether that will work, and just transfer the money back if it doesn't?

Old 04-26-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm seeking to clarify, not dog on the offer. I appreciate OP telling about it here. I think that is a service to people who like to do offers like these and sign up bonuses on credit cards.

My experience has been that they clearly list what is a qualifying direct deposit, and the ones that will accept any transfer explicitly say so.
They don’t clearly list what is the only qualifier though. Maybe you believe so but it’s not clear and I have a pretty lengthy experience with the functionality of the ach system

Quote:
You're saying you'd open this account and try giving it transfers from your bank to test whether that will work, and just transfer the money back if it doesn't?
That’s correct

Old 04-26-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
They don’t clearly list what is the only qualifier though. Maybe you believe so but it’s not clear and I have a pretty lengthy experience with the functionality of the ach system

I meant offers I have seen where any deposit will do, they have made that explicit. Like with the Alliant offer, it spells out that any ach transfer qualifies.

Quote:
That’s correct
OK gotcha, I'll have to think on whether a maybe is worth all that. Thus far I have only done offers where I definitely knew the parameters upfront.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:01 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Too bad this one is only good for a few states. I am starting to look for my next bonus (by mid June, I will have earned something like $1800 since January). I am running out of local banks that I qualify for lol. I do have the ability to change my DD myself, so for me, it's easy and worth it.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:23 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
I thought about doing this with Chase since they are doing $225 bonus. Only have to do direct deposit and keep the account open for 6 months while keeping 1500 balance to avoid monthly fees. Easy enough to do, but just honestly been too lazy to set up, even though I can change the direct deposit through the work web portal. If the balance was higher I might get motivated.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I thought about doing this with Chase since they are doing $225 bonus. Only have to do direct deposit and keep the account open for 6 months while keeping 1500 balance to avoid monthly fees. Easy enough to do, but just honestly been too lazy to set up, even though I can change the direct deposit through the work web portal. If the balance was higher I might get motivated.
I got $600 for opening Chase checking and savings, maybe it will go back up!

They have this right now:

Quote:
Get a $1,000 bonus when opening or upgrading to a Chase Sapphire Checking account. ... Open a new Chase Sapphire Checking account or upgrade an existing account. Transfer a minimum of $75,000 in funds within 45 days of opening your account

Old 04-26-2021, 10:58 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
I'd rather the 75k working in my brokerage. I took 20k from my emergency fund and put it in ffnox. YTD it's over 6% return, and almost 1300. I put it in that fund to differentiate it from the rest of my brokerage and it has some bonds to ease the downside. There's probably a more elegant method but that works for me.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I'd rather the 75k working in my brokerage. I took 20k from my emergency fund and put it in ffnox. YTD it's over 6% return, and almost 1300. I put it in that fund to differentiate it from the rest of my brokerage and it has some bonds to ease the downside. There's probably a more elegant method but that works for me.
A lot of the chase bonuses will include securities accounts attached. I know mathjak moved etfs over and got a chase sapphire bonus iirc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance