Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2019, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,444 times

Advertisements

I asked our General contractor about a roof job for the condo association where I own a condo and i’m part of the board. I didn’t know the name of the subcontractor. We had to pay 10% deposit to start the job (almost $3500). When I went to the contractor’s office to drop the check I had a bad feeling and googled the subcontractor. I realized reviews were terrible and roof contractor would always start job take 50% and never finish job. We decided with association to stop payment. I called to say we had a problem and not deposit check. My GC said it was to late it was already done. After calling bank to stop payment, bank said it takes at least 12 hours to clear so we were good. 4 days later I got a call from a check cashing company. We told them we didn’t authorize the payment. 3 days later, all members of association got a letter from a lawyer threading us to pay for that stop payment check that they processed no matter what. Check cashing company claim the right of “holder in due course” and say in the letter that we have 30 days to pay otherwise amount would triple and they always win in court... the letter is not certified. I checked online (sunbiz.org) the status of the check cashing company and the same lawyer is the registered agent of Check Cashing USA. I’m so frustrated right now since the entire situation is so shady. No job has started, no permit from roof contractor was pooled. It is a scam! Anybody had similar experience? Any suggestions / recommendations?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 07:16 AM

456 posts, read 348,515 times
Get your own lawyer. Regulations vary from state to state on many topics. This may be one of those.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:17 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,796,455 times
This is the general rule about Holder in Due Course, but your state may have something a little different.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/3/3-302

It may well be that the check cashing place is due the money and your action will have to be against the contractor.

See a local attorney ASAP and, next time, check references and reviews first.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:14 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Think some of you have the wrong idea about what stop payment order is meant to achieve, and or how it affects holder in due course.

By law when you utter/write a check once you've affixed a legally valid signature and send/give it to payee you are saying that funds are in account to pay said amount *at that time*. All banks spell this out in the paperwork given to new account holders. Post dating checks is also against all banks TOS, and customers are nearly always agree (by opening and using account) they will hold bank blameless if such checks are presented and cashed before date written. This includes any fees if the check bounces.....

All a stop payment order does is prevent a check from being cashed by account holder's bank. In of itself stopping payment on a check does not cancel the legal obligation created when thing was issued that it would be valid and funds paid. In short a stop payment order does *NOT* eliminate issuers obligation to pay said amount.

https://www.safechecks.com/fraud-edu...due-course.php

Yes, people use stop payment orders to settle contact disputes all the time. What happens then can go a few ways. If a third party (check cashing place) accepted the instrument, and it isn't invalidated by fraud or deceit, having paid out against the check, they now are fully entitled to get their money. The dispute with payee (contractor) in this situation is meaningless far as holder in due course is concerned. He was given a legally valid instrument, and cashed it, end of story. If check had been defaced, altered or something that may be a different story.

Banking system is not the place for settling disputes such as this; the legal system is the place to go.

Unfair as it may seem OP and anyone else who has issues with contracts, goods and or services that were paid for but not completed/delivered as promised must seek satisfaction from small claims or another part of court system.

To OP. You *did* authorize payment on check moment you signed that instrument and handed it over to payee. Telling someone to give it back, putting a stop payment order or whatever does not change this fact. Banks will happily issue stop payment orders, but they aren't going to involve themselves in reasons why (other than perhaps asking for information to complete the transaction).

At this point you can be accused of basically issuing a bad check. Extraneous issues aside, you wrote a check, signed it, and delivered/gave it to payee. If this check were lost or stolen and you issued a stop payment order, that would be different.

It seems more than usually certain the check cashing place prevail in getting their money one way or another. They have no legal case against the contractor, but do against yourself. At this point you likely are going to have to take legal action against the contractor to get back some or any of funds paid.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:57 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginya View Post
I asked our General contractor about a roof job for the condo association where I own a condo and i’m part of the board. I didn’t know the name of the subcontractor. We had to pay 10% deposit to start the job (almost $3500). When I went to the contractor’s office to drop the check I had a bad feeling and googled the subcontractor. I realized reviews were terrible and roof contractor would always start job take 50% and never finish job. We decided with association to stop payment. I called to say we had a problem and not deposit check. My GC said it was to late it was already done. After calling bank to stop payment, bank said it takes at least 12 hours to clear so we were good. 4 days later I got a call from a check cashing company. We told them we didn’t authorize the payment. 3 days later, all members of association got a letter from a lawyer threading us to pay for that stop payment check that they processed no matter what. Check cashing company claim the right of “holder in due course” and say in the letter that we have 30 days to pay otherwise amount would triple and they always win in court... the letter is not certified. I checked online (sunbiz.org) the status of the check cashing company and the same lawyer is the registered agent of Check Cashing USA. I’m so frustrated right now since the entire situation is so shady. No job has started, no permit from roof contractor was pooled. It is a scam! Anybody had similar experience? Any suggestions / recommendations?
Thank you
Most cases there is a three day right of refusal on any construction contract. All you had to do is call the guy and tell him you’re exercising the three day right of refusal. If he doesn’t refund ALL of the money you call the state and file a complaint against their license

It’s best to check a contractor or any person you wanna do business with before yo hand over any money. If you wrote a check it’s a legal payment. You really can’t put a stop payment as it’s a legal issue of the guy not doing the work

You can go after his bond if he doesn’t start the work within two days of the start date. It’s considered job abandonment. You may need to go after the money you paid in court
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance