Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 08:26 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craziaskowboi View Post
you can, though, because you're from ohio. In fact, the western reservists can turn it into wine too.
d*mn, the emojis aren't working... I was posting three laughs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 09:12 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Unless you are like me that frequented Brigantine or Wildwood growing up, 'going to the beach' meant Presque Isle.
OK, so PA is a Beach State in addition to being a Border State. Check.

Quote:
what might be MORE true is that people do not know lake erie has canadians on the other side. In fact any of the lakes, including Gitche gumee. They think the great lakes are US lakes, like we own em.
Well if you shoot a cannon across Lake Michigan you will only hit other Americans. We own that one 100%.

Perhaps it's interesting to note that you can sail from Wisconsin, Indiana, or Illinois to Canada via the Great Lakes but they are not "considered" Border States because you have to sail through another state's territorial waters to reach Canada.

I have to admit I got the OP's question wrong. Plenty of people consider PA a Border State because the Erie County boundaries extend north into the water until they meet Ontario's boundary in the water. Same goes for Ohio with the same lake (and Ohio actually has ferry service now), and with Florida concerning the territorial waters of the Bahamas and Cuba.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:17 AM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
OK, so PA is a Beach State in addition to being a Border State. Check.

Well if you shoot a cannon across Lake Michigan you will only hit other Americans. We own that one 100%.

Perhaps it's interesting to note that you can sail from Wisconsin, Indiana, or Illinois to Canada via the Great Lakes but they are not "considered" Border States because you have to sail through another state's territorial waters to reach Canada.

I have to admit I got the OP's question wrong. Plenty of people consider PA a Border State because the Erie County boundaries extend north into the water until they meet Ontario's boundary in the water. Same goes for Ohio with the same lake (and Ohio actually has ferry service now), and with Florida concerning the territorial waters of the Bahamas and Cuba.

heck, erie even has a CBP entry at the port.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:37 AM

10 posts, read 3,605 times
There are 100 Civics Questions on the United States Naturalization Test.

You are randomly asked 10 out of those 100 questions, and you must get 6 or more right to pass.

One of those questions is, "Name one state that borders Canada." Pennsylvania is listed as one of the correct answers. This is from the official Naturalization Civics Practice Test.

Old 04-02-2024, 01:15 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkBBQ View Post

One of those questions is, "Name one state that borders Canada." Pennsylvania is listed as one of the correct answers. This is from the official Naturalization Civics Practice Test.
That's cool, though I probably would have said "Vermont" to commemorate my epic bicycle trip from long ago.

Do they release stats on how many times people answer "Pennsylvania" to that question? That would be interesting to know!

Old 04-03-2024, 10:57 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkBBQ View Post
There are 100 Civics Questions on the United States Naturalization Test.

You are randomly asked 10 out of those 100 questions, and you must get 6 or more right to pass.

Yes, that is correct but I would say it borders one of the Great Lakes. Not necessarily Canada. Oh well.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:09 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Yes, that is correct but I would say it borders one of the Great Lakes. Not necessarily Canada. Oh well.
The thing is, the Great Lakes are all territorial waters — there's no "international waters" in any of them.

And since the US-Canada border runs down the middle of Lake Erie, and state boundaries extend into the water, then Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York State all have borders with Ontario in Lake Erie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania