Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 02:42 PM

7,446 posts, read 4,217,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
but isn't in marriage the assets acquired before marriage are not split ?
For inheritances - by one spouse during the marriage through a gift from third persons or by inheritance, or from the proceeds of separate property, as long the owner of the separate property has kept those proceeds isolated from marital property.

So if your child is give a million dollars and this child uses part of the million dollars for a vacation, pay for daycare, etc, that inheritance is considered joint property.

If the house was acquired by one spouse prior to the marriage, it is that spouse’s separate property, however, there may be a marital component if marital income has been used to pay the mortgage or the house became jointly titled.

For example, if you owned a home before marriage and you sell it and use proceeds from that sale to purchase or contribute to a new home during the marriage, that new home can be considered hybrid property—if you can trace the amount of your contribution.

Additionally, the court may consider an increase in the value of the separate property during the marriage to be marital property if you demonstrate that there is a substantial increase resulting from 1) contributions of marital property or 2) the significant personal efforts of either spouse.

So if your child's spouse paints the house, pays for changes in the landscaping, pays for upgrades like new kitchen cabinets, it becomes a hybrid property and the spouse can be award a percentage of proceeds for the sale.

If their children live in the home, it's possible that the judge will allow the spouse with the children to remain in the home. After the children reach the age of 21, the house would be sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 09:55 PM

1,346 posts, read 879,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
For inheritances - by one spouse during the marriage through a gift from third persons or by inheritance, or from the proceeds of separate property, as long the owner of the separate property has kept those proceeds isolated from marital property.

So if your child is give a million dollars and this child uses part of the million dollars for a vacation, pay for daycare, etc, that inheritance is considered joint property.

If the house was acquired by one spouse prior to the marriage, it is that spouse’s separate property, however, there may be a marital component if marital income has been used to pay the mortgage or the house became jointly titled.

For example, if you owned a home before marriage and you sell it and use proceeds from that sale to purchase or contribute to a new home during the marriage, that new home can be considered hybrid property—if you can trace the amount of your contribution.

Additionally, the court may consider an increase in the value of the separate property during the marriage to be marital property if you demonstrate that there is a substantial increase resulting from 1) contributions of marital property or 2) the significant personal efforts of either spouse.

So if your child's spouse paints the house, pays for changes in the landscaping, pays for upgrades like new kitchen cabinets, it becomes a hybrid property and the spouse can be award a percentage of proceeds for the sale.

If their children live in the home, it's possible that the judge will allow the spouse with the children to remain in the home. After the children reach the age of 21, the house would be sold.
Thanks for this
I’ll consult an attorney before taking any big steps

Old 04-30-2024, 02:14 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,829,802 times
There are advantages as well but for a challenge: not fitting in well with other parents (who are younger and in a different places in life).

Old 04-30-2024, 05:15 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,053,728 times
Quote:
Thanks for this
I’ll consult an attorney before taking any big steps
Are you expecting a kid AND getting divorced too?

Old 04-30-2024, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Are you expecting a kid AND getting divorced too?
No signs of it but anything can happen in life

Old 05-02-2024, 08:19 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,053,728 times
Quote:
No signs of it but anything can happen in life
I guess, but...

Is your wife the same age as you?

Old 05-02-2024, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I guess, but...

Is your wife the same age as you?
5 yrs younger

Old 05-02-2024, 06:05 PM

4,616 posts, read 6,419,175 times
Quote:
What unique challenges do you all think older parents [ with kids < 5 years old in their 40s ] face ?.....
Nothing that can't be overcome.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:59 PM

27 posts, read 11,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
In many situations it seems like parents do give their kids money for life. I see it all the time especially when it comes to buying a home.
Honestly, as someone who was older when I had my daughter, I think a lot of parents (of all ages) try to justify not setting up their children for the future. I have a niece who is not that much older than my daughter. Her mother was very unstable, and her father was never in the picture. You know where she is now? In jail.

In 2024, and earlier, you shouldn't have a child if you feel no obligation to help them go to college and help with at least a down payment. They will be behind their peers.

Old 05-09-2024, 08:50 AM

7,446 posts, read 4,217,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylikemarty View Post
In 2024, and earlier, you shouldn't have a child if you feel no obligation to help them go to college and help with at least a down payment. They will be behind their peers.
Yet, I know nice, responsible people who can't afford to help their kids financially.

Many families sent their kids to community college for two years. They allowed them to live at home while commuting to a local university for their BS/BA. The local university was paid with student loans. The kids continued to live at home after college, rent free, and saving home before moving out.

I know a ton of parents who sent their kids to Hunter College in NYC which is a few thousand dollars a year. The kids lived at home and their parents paid for the MetroNorth commuter train tickets.

They loved and cared for their children which was the important piece - not their money.

I paid for four years of a private college for my kids. I couldn't dream of providing a large down payment for a house.

If they are behind their peers, well - a lot of their peers are behind them with student loans debts. It's all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting