Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 12:09 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Foolishness? On the contrary, your dad missed a golden opportunity to be a real light in Al's life. As a historian, your dad could have used this opportunity to nurture another child's interest in history, and also sharpen Al's historical knowledge by debating various historical matters. Who knows? Maybe if Al's interest in history had been nurtured and expanded, he might have turned out better than he did. But instead, all he saw was an adult who was too full of his own importance to share his knowledge with a child.
You are way off course here but believe what you like.

You are reading a lot into this that is not anywhere near reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 12:20 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I am a parent and I echo that statement. I did not and do not chose my children's friends. My parents did not do this for me. Surely no parent does this!
I am a parent of two and I never did it but I am aware enough that I couldn't speak for all parents.

Old 03-23-2024, 01:06 PM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
The only thing one can do is introduce your kids to other children who you feel would be a good match. After that, it’s their decision as to whether or not to cultivate a friendship, or discontinue further social interaction.

There is no way, practically, or psychologically, to make your child befriend, or not befriend, any particular person.

It is the same for romantic relationships, and marriages, unless one believes in arranged and/or forced marriage, which even then, you roll the dice on that as well.

Old 03-23-2024, 02:31 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I am a parent of two and I never did it but I am aware enough that I couldn't speak for all parents.
I'm not speaking for anyone other than myself. Surely no human being alive who has a child would think that being a parent allows such person to choose the friends of their offspring. I do not know what being a parent has to do with having an opinion on this, but I am on board with this thought. I do not believe it could possibly be.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:23 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teal View Post
I'm sort of going through this now as my only child has made an, ahem, "questionable" friend that has some very, very bad habits, none of which seem to phase his parents who allow this kid to do these things.

Rather than steer him away from that kid, I've just tried to let him know many of those habits are not going to fly in our household so he'd better not try and bring them here or let me see him exhibiting some of those behaviors. I don't want to say he cannot be friends with this kid but if I'm being honest I do wish he'd have found different friends, we have literally hundreds in our neighborhood alone around his age.
Maybe the novelty of the "exciting" or "naughty" friend will wear off, and your son will gravitate toward better choices eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting