Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 01:28 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times

Advertisements

It's fine to have ADHD, but you should have her get a real diagnosis and not a fake one. If she does have it, there are meds that will help her think much more clearly and she'll be able to learn better as well, even if she doesn't go to school.

It's one thing to have ADHD, but another to choose to not treat it and to make others simply put up with it not being treated.

The meds help with ability to control. With that ability will come practice and in time conditioning. You never hear of the high functioning ADHD people because we're all too scared to admit it....but I've been quite successful on any scale, but first I needed to take control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 07:22 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
The whole "doing what I want to do" thing is probably not achievable for a lot of us.

For most of the last decade, I've done various IT analyst jobs. Some of the jobs have been better than others, and obviously some times at each job were better than others, but generally, I haven't hated it, and it's a way to make a decent living and have a much better than average quality of life.

I basically "work to live," and try to make that work the best I can. I don't see it as a "calling."

Old 12-13-2023, 07:40 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Daughter has no real reason to look for a job. She's back home with all the comforts of home with no timetable or expectation that she take on an adult role. Moving home at 31 because you have no place to go is BAGGAGE. Many people are 10 years into a career by then. She needs counseling NOW.
Good Luck!

Old 12-13-2023, 08:12 AM

7,741 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I struggled in math, too, in HS. I was otherwise a good student but anything prealgebra and up was ridiculously hard for me and made no sense to me. I just could not "get it" no matter how hard I tried. Some of the C's that I got were only achieved because I did extra credit.

I went to college and could not pass a math class to save my life. I internalized how bad at math I was. I would never understand it. I was stupid in math.

Then I became a mom and when I helped my kids with their math homework in elementary school, I realized that I was actually pretty good at the lower level stuff. Then came PreAlgebra, I purchased some "for dummies" types of books and figured it out. I was pretty solid on that, too.

Because I had been shoring up my math skills by helping my kids, I was able to assist them with Algebra 1, too. Then everything just "clicked" for the oldest and he had it from there. The youngest also got good grades. Both did well on the math portion of the SAT/ACT.

It wasn't until after both of my kids had graduated from HS and went onto college that I decided to do an online prep class in the hopes that I could score high enough on the placement tests at our community college to place into college level math.

I worked the modules in that prep class day and night, for hours at a time, rebuilding and reinforcing my math skills from the ground up. In just 3 weeks, I was able to go to the CC and place by a solid margin into college level math. I signed up to take an abbreviated summer class which went at a much faster clip than the classes taught during the Fall and Spring semesters. I proceeded to earn not just an A but the highest grade in my class.

I went from being horrible in math to being pretty darned good with it. I have heard other stories similar to my own. Sometimes it's not because you are horrible at math, it's because you have a weak foundation for it. If you don't know the order of operations, for instance, you are not going to succeed in an Algebra class. The prep class I used was not free but it was a downright bargain compared to taking a remedial class at the college.
Good for you! Congratulations!

Old 12-13-2023, 08:21 AM

7,741 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Now, can we move on to options that might be realistic for her?

It seems you missed the OP's objective in posting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriteSpot View Post

*sigh* not looking for advice - just needed to vent.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:24 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Women like your daughter are frustrated and lost because they don't belong in the workforce and probably should be homemakers, tending to their children and spouse. Alot of young women who are unmotivated, lost, and going from job to job are in a doom spiral because they've been told by everyone their whole lives they need to be independent career women when it's probably not what they wanted in the first place.

Old 12-13-2023, 12:17 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The whole "doing what I want to do" thing is probably not achievable for a lot of us.

For most of the last decade, I've done various IT analyst jobs. Some of the jobs have been better than others, and obviously some times at each job were better than others, but generally, I haven't hated it, and it's a way to make a decent living and have a much better than average quality of life.

I basically "work to live," and try to make that work the best I can. I don't see it as a "calling."
Yeah that is an issue I've seen with some younger adults I have known. It's like...they want to LOVE their work, and they build up the idea of a thing in their minds, but then when they go to do it and it's not fun, they give up fast. At least...I know several who are doing this kind of thing. Or they dream of being "influencers" and getting paid to play video games for an audience or something.

I have really been trying to tell my kids that there truly is no need for your vocation to be anything that you're passionate about or some kind of legendary calling or even "fun"...it just has to be something that you can tolerate doing day in and day out. And I don't know of any path that is all easy and no work. But if you find something that...maybe isn't amazing, but it's fine...then as long as it pays the bills, you can do a lot more with your life in your own time.

Old 12-13-2023, 12:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
She wants to travel, doesn't have kids, and has hospitality experience — she should look at Coolworks.com. Most of the jobs provide employee housing, and most are temporary, so no long-term committment is required; she could work somewhere different every season if she wanted. Most are at restaurants and lodges located in or near National Parks.

Old 12-13-2023, 03:19 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,054,042 times
I'm thinking .....teaching english as a second language ...it is always in demand....
College degree preferred but sometimes only a TEFL is needed....

Good way to experience other countries and cultures....

Old 12-13-2023, 03:46 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
I'm thinking .....teaching english as a second language ...it is always in demand....
College degree preferred but sometimes only a TEFL is needed....

Good way to experience other countries and cultures....
Does the OP's daughter know a second language? You need to be fluent in a second language to teach students English as a second language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting