Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2024, 03:06 PM

63 posts, read 55,370 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of booking a flight to the area on holiday the next time I have a national holiday/three day weekend off that I can schedule back to back with 2-3 days' personal leave.

I see that the airport in Gatineau is, like many airports, a little out of the way from anything and I'm anticipating having to hold my nose on Uber fares.

But beyond that, what's a place to stay in the area that won't break the bank? Any suggestions for hotels or motels?

My itinerary of visits includes the Diefenbunker and the Canada War Museum, if that helps as a guidepost to my interests in the area re: cultural sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 03:38 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Gatineau airport (YND) does not have any passenger service.

You would fly into Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier airport (YOW) which just to the south of the city.

No Uber needed from the airport into the heart of the city unless you really want to. There is good bus rapid transit service directly from terminal and sometime in 2024 (maybe as early as April) there will be a light rail train from the airport.

The Canadian War Museum is right in central Ottawa. The Diefenbunker is out in the country and there is no transit service to get there. Though there is good bus service to the western suburb of Kanata which is fairly close, and then you could take an Uber or a taxi from there. It would save you paying to get there all the way from downtown.

Not sure about recommendations for lodging which is quite expensive here. I'll try to give it some thought.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:18 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
I stayed at the Best Western Plus in Bells Corners back in 2015, the last time I visited Ottawa. The rates were decent then though not sure about now. Bells Corners is out of the way but there is bus service directly going into Downtown Ottawa. Generally speaking, the further away from Downtown you stay (like around the airport), the cheaper and that pretty much goes for almost every major city.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:30 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Yes, it might be a *bit* cheaper to stay outside of downtown. If one does not have access to a car, it's good to look at hotels that are along the main rapid transit corridors: O-Train or Transitway in Ottawa or Rapibus in Gatineau.

Old Today, 03:42 PM

1,545 posts, read 870,399 times
Ottawa airport has Hilton Garden Inn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau