Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2023, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 528 times

Advertisements

Hi,
The Rugby World Cup is on - the 3rd biggest sporting event in the world.

I'm relatively new to Ottawa. Is there any pub downtown where people are watching the games.
So far I tried Mulligan's on Queen - I was the only one watching and
the Heart and Crown in the Byward Market- Which I normally avoid - - where I found very little interest.

Surely, there is somewhere in the city (centrally preferred) where people gather to watch the games?

Thanks,
Mjpcc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 08:41 PM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
I know Le Minotaure in Vieux-Hull (close to downtown Ottawa across the river) is showing quite a few matches.

Not sure of the atmosphere -probably best would be games involving France.

Look them up on Facebook for a schedule of matches.

Old 09-18-2023, 06:23 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
not sure if the rugby club at Twin Elms in Nepean has a public bar, if they do it will be on

Rugby's not a big sport in Canada, not in comparison with AUS/NZ and NW Europe

Old 09-18-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know Le Minotaure in Vieux-Hull (close to downtown Ottawa across the river) is showing quite a few matches.

Not sure of the atmosphere -probably best would be games involving France.

Look them up on Facebook for a schedule of matches.
Here are the matches they will be showing:

14 septembre: France vs Uruguay à 15h
17 septembre: Angleterre vs Japon à 15h
21 septembre: France vs Namibie à 15h
23 septembre: Afrique du Sud vs Irlande à 15h
29 septembre: Nouvelle-Zélande vs Italie à 15h
30 septembre: Écosse vs Roumanie à 15h
5 octobre: Nouvelle-Zélande vs Uruguay à 15h
6 octobre: France vs Italie
14 et 15 octobre: Quarts de finale
20 et 21 octobre: Demi-finale
27 octobre: Petite finale
28 octobre: Grande finale

Old 09-18-2023, 09:09 AM

is le minotaur just across from what was the gainsborough? on aubry? used to go there a lot when i was working in portage area

Old 09-18-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
is le minotaur just across from what was the gainsborough? on aubry? used to go there a lot when i was working in portage area
Yes that's right. Le Gainsbourg (known as Le Bop in my youth) was a victim of the pandemic. It was owned by the same people as the Chelsea Pub. I think they still brew Gainsbourg beers though.

The old Gainsbourg is now La P'tite Grenouille, what you might call a chansonnier brasserie with live acts. Popular with college and university students. These bars are found all across Quebec. Les Raftsmen on St-Raymond was a long-standing similar establishment in Hull but it closed a couple of decades ago.

Le Minotaure is as you say right across Place Aubry from what is today La P'tite Grenouille. Le Minotaure in my youth was known as Le Bistro.

Old 09-19-2023, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Yes that's right. Le Gainsbourg (known as Le Bop in my youth) was a victim of the pandemic. It was owned by the same people as the Chelsea Pub. I think they still brew Gainsbourg beers though.

The old Gainsbourg is now La P'tite Grenouille, what you might call a chansonnier brasserie with live acts. Popular with college and university students. These bars are found all across Quebec. Les Raftsmen on St-Raymond was a long-standing similar establishment in Hull but it closed a couple of decades ago.

Le Minotaure is as you say right across Place Aubry from what is today La P'tite Grenouille. Le Minotaure in my youth was known as Le Bistro.
Le Gainsbourg used to serve a decent blond stout (from the Chelsea brewery) When I worked for PSPC in Portage I would often pop in on a Friday at noon, on my way to the Pele Mele which had the best poutine and often kept t me busy most Friday afternoons. Ah those were the days!

Old 09-19-2023, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
Le Gainsbourg used to serve a decent blond stout (from the Chelsea brewery) When I worked for PSPC in Portage I would often pop in on a Friday at noon, on my way to the Pele Mele which had the best poutine and often kept t me busy most Friday afternoons. Ah those were the days!
Le Gainsbourg was actually a pretty nice place. They invested quite a bit of money there so I was kinda sad to see it close down.

Glad to see the space didn't stay vacant for very long.

The Place Aubry-Rue Laval district has seen a pretty good resurgence in recent years but it's still a pretty fragile one IMO.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Le Gainsbourg was actually a pretty nice place. They invested quite a bit of money there so I was kinda sad to see it close down.

Glad to see the space didn't stay vacant for very long.

The Place Aubry-Rue Laval district has seen a pretty good resurgence in recent years but it's still a pretty fragile one IMO.
you certainly cannot fault the local businesses and the city council for trying to encourage trade, I gather the weekend and evening trade was always quite robust, but the lunchtime crowds may never be what they were a couple of years ago with the public servants not fully returning to work at portage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau