Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 09:21 AM

58 posts, read 80,215 times

Advertisements

What are the best sites for apartment sales and apartment rentals in Ottawa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 10:03 PM

183 posts, read 121,802 times
I haven't read the entire thread, with all the replies. I will just point out that Quebec City has a population around 600,000 and the Ottawa-Gatineau city is about 1.45 million (in 2022). If we add the rural exurban towns around Ottawa (eastern Ontario, roughly), the population is around 1.7 million and growing. Exurban towns and rural communities are one feature of Ottawa's economic and cultural fabric that I think must be considered. Some are growing rapidly, and I don't think any are losing population, a trend that accelerated since the pandemic and the acceptance of more work-from-home scheduling for some white collar professionals (and some service industries).

Ottawa's identity as a city is still intimately linked to the Ottawa Valley rural culture and identity, I would say, in a way that Quebec City and perhaps some other metropolises wouldn't reflect. Every city has some unique features IMO, and Ottawa's location in eastern Ontario ("the middle of nowhere") was no accident, it was a strategic choice from back in the mid-1800s when the location of Canada's capital city was chosen.

If you want to restrict the discussion to the neighbourhoods within the inner core of Ottawa (a limited slice of the population located inside the parameter of the national capital's Greenbelt), then you would likely find some parallels with Quebec City, in the sense that you could identify some class-based identity tied to some neighbourhoods, but I'd note that these are changing rather swiftly in Ottawa with the combination of gentrification and densification that has arrived in the core of the city in recent years.

You are likely to find that the Ottawa core is trending toward development that might make it more similar to Montreal in future decades as mixed-use neighbourhoods are embraced with more "missing middle" density-style residential buildings.

There are cliche upper class, middle class, working class, and sketchy areas too, but gentrification is just one reason why the character of neighbourhoods in the city is shifting year by year. I don't believe that Ottawa is as simply to delineate between neighbourhoods as perhaps some cities with stagnant population growth might be, it all depends upon where the people and the livelihoods are located, and these days, it's somewhat more virtual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau