Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 09:15 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuujj View Post
OP, Quebecers, francophones at least, are usually less likely to greet strangers. That's more of an anglo thing from my experience. It's a generalization of course, but in english-Canada and the US, I would find it weird how everyone greeted me, while in Quebec we mostly keep to ourselves.
I honestly don't know about this.

I've lived about half my life in English Canada and half of it in Quebec, and the one things I have to say is that it's simply different.

My usual characterization is that people in Quebec tend to be less formally polite (holding the door open for you) but are also more talkative in a friendly way (often saying awkward things even). Whereas Anglo-Canadians are the opposite, and almost flawlessly polite but most standards, but way more reserved when it comes to engaging with you.

I don't know how all of this pans out in terms of greeting people on the street, in parks, etc. Which actually sort of involves both of the characteristics. So hard to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 05:53 PM

26 posts, read 25,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuujj View Post
OP, Quebecers, francophones at least, are usually less likely to greet strangers. That's more of an anglo thing from my experience. It's a generalization of course, but in english-Canada and the US, I would find it weird how everyone greeted me, while in Quebec we mostly keep to ourselves.
My impression is that when I was in a more ethnically mixed community I usually have people greet bonjour like when I stepped into the same booth and wait for the bus. But later when I moved to an older community that's just couple of blocks away, people rarely greet each other, if you greet them too formally, that may even seem a little disturbing, because that way you oblige them in some way. But still I see people briefly nod and smile to me and my kid when we run into each other in a small space like a bike trail in the forest, simply to acknowledge your presence. To me that's polite enough. The experience of getting intently snubbed face to face and getting no response even when you greet first, is only very recent and post-pandemic.

Last edited by ArthurW; 04-05-2021 at 06:09 PM..

Old 04-05-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I honestly don't know about this.

I've lived about half my life in English Canada and half of it in Quebec, and the one things I have to say is that it's simply different.

My usual characterization is that people in Quebec tend to be less formally polite (holding the door open for you) but are also more talkative in a friendly way (often saying awkward things even). Whereas Anglo-Canadians are the opposite, and almost flawlessly polite but most standards, but way more reserved when it comes to engaging with you.

I don't know how all of this pans out in terms of greeting people on the street, in parks, etc. Which actually sort of involves both of the characteristics. So hard to say.
Like Acajack said I found Quebecers less likely to hold the door for you when you are 10 meters away and oblige you to break into a brisk trot. But when they do engage, they tend to be more talkative. That's when I first got here 2 or 3 years ago. The bus driver can stop for a stranger to give the direction, and then the conversation turns into a 5-minute chitchat, with the whole bus of people waiting patiently. They even wink to you after they help you sort out your route.

With the pandemic unfold, I see civil society is disintegrating, and people no longer trust each other as a community.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurW View Post
Like Acajack said I found Quebecers less likely to hold the door for you when you are 10 meters away and oblige you to break into a brisk trot. But when they do engage, they tend to be more talkative. That's when I first got here 2 or 3 years ago. The bus driver can stop for a stranger to give the direction, and then the conversation turns into a 5-minute chitchat, with the whole bus of people waiting patiently. They even wink to you after they help you sort out your route.

It's freaky that you would say this as I point this out all the time. Almost like you've been stalking me!

Old 04-06-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
It's freaky that you would say this as I point this out all the time. Almost like you've been stalking me!
It's the same English we are using when communicating, it's just the way we read between the lines that is different. When I said bus drivers make funny faces to people I found it amusing and relaxing, while some may find it freaky and creepy, or even offensive like how dare you even mention it! That perhaps is why intercultural communication is so hard and I kinda understand why the folks at the park choose to snub people. Come on, I don't even have enough time check my Instagram, so why bother to go to great lengths trying to understand alien people?

Old 04-07-2021, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurW View Post
It's the same English we are using when communicating, it's just the way we read between the lines that is different. When I said bus drivers make funny faces to people I found it amusing and relaxing, while some may find it freaky and creepy, or even offensive like how dare you even mention it! That perhaps is why intercultural communication is so hard and I kinda understand why the folks at the park choose to snub people. Come on, I don't even have enough time check my Instagram, so why bother to go to great lengths trying to understand alien people?
I just found your comment funny, that's all.

And I also agree with your comment about people making faces - something people in Ontario don't generally do.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:28 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,685 times
Speak French, and do it loud. I left Ottawa in 1960 and never heard French. In 2005 that's ALL I heard. Including Gatineau, which is basically a suburb. Nice marble houses on the way to the Museum of Man. =Someone is making huge coin.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I just found your comment funny, that's all.

And I also agree with your comment about people making faces - something people in Ontario don't generally do.
Haha! This time I get it. You mean great minds think alike. The same English used, but often I don't mean like the locals mean and I don't get like the locals get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau