Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 06:30 PM

126 posts, read 97,025 times

Advertisements

just found online a nice colombian bakery with great reviews selling colombian goodies (arepas, almojábanas, empanadas, papas) in Gatineau.

Boulangerie Pan Caliente!!

I will be a customer. Have not tried Colombian food in ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 07:14 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiloponeums View Post
just found online a nice colombian bakery with great reviews selling colombian goodies (arepas, almojábanas, empanadas, papas) in Gatineau.

Yeah, I don't know if they are the majority but a fairly large segment of the Latin American community in Gatineau is Colombian in origin. There are quite a few Chileans as well.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:59 AM

36 posts, read 24,994 times
Quote:

One of my coworkers is Colombian and he is a regular customer. I asked him recently if he had any trouble finding ingredients from his home country in the region, and he said he can finding everything here. He usually goes to that colombian bakery as well as to other places in Ottawa.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukos View Post
One of my coworkers is Colombian and he is a regular customer. I asked him recently if he had any trouble finding ingredients from his home country in the region, and he said he can finding everything here. He usually goes to that colombian bakery as well as to other places in Ottawa.
nice, I am glad.

Honestly my concern with Ottawa was ending up in an a-cultural, suburban sprawl run of the mill US type city. But you guys are making me feel optimistic about moving to Ottawa.

Last edited by xiloponeums; 10-21-2019 at 03:45 AM..

Old 10-21-2019, 04:00 AM

So far I gathered that Ottawa:

Has nice sunshine, unlike Europe (Well except southern Europe)
Acajack told me it is far sunnier.

Has good employment opportunities outside the government which allows expats and their spouses to work.
Acajack told me job market is dynamic and opportunities abundant to those willing to explore different job opportunities.

Despite being a small city, it offers cultural amenities, of course, Ottawa does not have the color of Havana Cuba, nor the sophistication of Paris, but it does have its own qualities that make it pleasant and worth exploring.
Nukos and Acajack showed me it has a vibrant though limited nightlife (I am ok, not into nightclubs), I also read it has good museums, and restaurant scene is diverse, its not just hot wings and north American style pizza type place like a considerable number of US cities.

My next concerns are

-PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.

Will I be able to get around the city by bus, metro, basically without a car? (I cannot stand driving everywhere, reason why I ABHOR living in most of the US)

-ABILITY TO USE BIKE AS TRANSPORTATION AROUND THE CITY.

If I live centrally, will I be able to do grocery shopping on my bike? (I have a nice city bike I bought here in Amsterdam)

-THEATER, LIVE MUSIC, OPERA, FLEA MARKETS.

Does Ottawa offer those things? (I am a bit snobby, so yes, those things matter to me, I cannot deny that part. It doesn't have to be opera Garnier in Paris.... any decent theater with a usual schedule, or a nice jazz bar with regular bands where you can chill and have a wine will do.)

-HOW ARE THE FOLLOWING AREAS IN REGARDS TO WALK-ABILITY, PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION INTO CENTRETOWN (Where my spouse will work)

Vanier
Sandy Hill

Thank you so much and I am really looking forward to living in Canada, and exploring your beautiful homeland. (Especially Montreal) I can't wait to see that city!!

Well traveled South Americans, generally have a certain fascination-affinity towards Montreal and Quebec in general .

I think its because of the similar Roman Catholic, Latin language (Spain-France), it is certain that Quebec is like that long lost cousin you would love to get to know one day.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:27 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
Quote:
nice, I am glad.

Honestly my concern with Ottawa was ending up in an a-cultural, suburban sprawl run of the mill US type city. But you guys are making me feel optimistic about moving to Ottawa.
I am only speaking as a tourist but we loved Ottawa. Which Canadians seemed to find quite amusing, same as if people here say they like Canberra. We wished we had had more time there.

I think you will really enjoy it, I hope so.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I am only speaking as a tourist but we loved Ottawa. Which Canadians seemed to find quite amusing, same as if people here say they like Canberra. We wished we had had more time there.

I think you will really enjoy it, I hope so.
I really hope so

I keep seeing Canadians talk online about the horrors of Ottawa, but when I google Ottawa, I find is a nice city with plenty of things to see and do to keep one busy enough.

I especially like the outdoorsy aspect of the city which is a huge plus.

Ottawa is not Toronto nor Montreal Canadians claim.... and Canberra is not Sydney nor Melbourne!! Many Aussies claim...

My answer is... Its fine, I dont need giant busy cities I already lived in plenty of them.

All I ask is some sustainable way of urban living and some four or five places that I enjoy going to. (coffee shop, bike paths, a good concert hall, some parks)

Old 10-21-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:

-PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.

Will I be able to get around the city by bus, metro, basically without a car? (I cannot stand driving everywhere, reason why I ABHOR living in most of the US)

Generally speaking yes if you live centrally. Even the major suburban shopping malls are connected to downtown by reliable transit.

Now, if you have friends who live in the suburbs (Orleans, Kanata, Barrhaven, Riverside South, Findlay Creek, Hunt Club) and they invite you to an evening dinner party, it will probably be more practical to take a taxi.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:

-THEATER, LIVE MUSIC, OPERA, FLEA MARKETS.

Does Ottawa offer those things? (I am a bit snobby, so yes, those things matter to me, I cannot deny that part. It doesn't have to be opera Garnier in Paris.... any decent theater with a usual schedule, or a nice jazz bar with regular bands where you can chill and have a wine will do.)

Canada's National Arts Centre (NAC) is right in the heart of downtown Ottawa. It has several performance halls including a large concert hall with 2500 seats. There is an orchestra permanently based there which was until fairly recently directed by Pinchas Zuckerman. The director as the moment is Alexander Shelley I believe. Not sure if these names are familiar to you. The NAC also hosts opera productions and various other shows as well. It also home to an English language theatre company which produces a full season of original productions, and a full French language company that does the same every year.

There are also various other concert venues and theatres around the city and also in Gatineau.

In the suburbs you have an arena-type venue (capacity 18,000 or so) which is the home of the Ottawa Senators hockey team but where they also have concerts. Céline Dion was there last week for a few nights, and you can see shows by artists like Elton John, Madonna, Bon Jovi, etc. there sometimes.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:40 AM

As I already mentioned I think, options for live jazz are there but not extensive.

I think it's more a question of having bars that have live music, including jazz on some nights, than it of having jazz bars that offer that type of music every night.

Ottawa does have a pretty decent annual jazz festival, and multiple other festivals for different kinds of music and other cultural pursuits during the year.

Also Montreal just 2 hours away has one of the best jazz festivals in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau