Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 06:35 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiloponeums View Post

I am from the mountain region of Colombia, so weather wise its more along the lines of Colorado in the summer.... 365 days like that with just occasional massive storms that last a few hours and then its back to sunny again aand 20 degrees.

Obviously in Ottawa you only have this in the summer, but the storms almost never last for hours. Usually it's about 15-30 minutes in the late afternoon or early evening. Generally before this happens the temperature is between 28 and 35C with very high humidity. The storms take the humidity out of the air and it usually drops the temperature to around 23C in minutes. Then the sun comes back out, and sometimes the temperature stays in the mid-20s, but sometimes if the storm was not sufficient to kill the humidity, it goes right back up again to around 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 02:25 AM

126 posts, read 97,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Obviously in Ottawa you only have this in the summer, but the storms almost never last for hours. Usually it's about 15-30 minutes in the late afternoon or early evening. Generally before this happens the temperature is between 28 and 35C with very high humidity. The storms take the humidity out of the air and it usually drops the temperature to around 23C in minutes. Then the sun comes back out, and sometimes the temperature stays in the mid-20s, but sometimes if the storm was not sufficient to kill the humidity, it goes right back up again to around 30.
Nice.

Like summer storms.

Can you give me a weather briefing?

Sort of Jan, Feb, Mar we got this kind of weather.

Apr, May, Jun this type.

Jul, Aug, Sep this kind

Sorry I know I am asking too much but I will spend the next years of my life there, hence I need to be mentally ready.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:15 AM

36 posts, read 24,994 times
Quote:
Nice.

Like summer storms.

Can you give me a weather briefing?

Sort of Jan, Feb, Mar we got this kind of weather.

Apr, May, Jun this type.

Jul, Aug, Sep this kind

Sorry I know I am asking too much but I will spend the next years of my life there, hence I need to be mentally ready.
January, February, March:
Persisistent snow cover on the ground, this period is subject to the deepest cold snaps that can last up to two weeks where highs may fail to go above -10C to -15C. It doesn't happen every year however. If we exclude the cold snaps, the highs can be anywhere between -10C and 10C for this period, more often than not between -5C and 5C. Generally sunny.

April, May, June:
This period is hard to predict. The second half of May and the month of June are definitely summery, but for April and the first half of May, it depends. Some years it can be cool, sometimes it can be warm, even hot. Overcast skies tend to be more regular in April and sometimes May, but again, it depends on the year.

July, August, September:
Most years this period is sunny and hot. There is the odd year where it can be predominantly cooler and gray. Most summers are nice and sunny in Ottawa, but it's not always guaranteed. July, August are subject to droughts, but the air generally remains humid. Fall typically start in the second half of September but the weather is still quite pleasant.

October, November, December:
Fall weather, most of October is pleasant. November can be cool, sometimes even cold towards the end of the month, but it is generally never too extreme. It is pleasant out on most days, but skies can be overcast. Winter usually start in December, first major snowfalls happen between the beginning of the month and sometimes as late as Christmas-NYE. Consistent cold generally sets in December as well, some years at the beginning of the month, sometimes later.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
This is today, October 8 at 11:53 a.m. It's 15 degrees Celsius. The sun makes it feel warmer.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:57 AM

Here is the forecast for the next week or so:

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-118_metric_e.html

Right now we have bright sunshine.

The forecast is quite typical for the first half of October. After mid-October and into November the number of cloudy days tends to increase in my experience. It also gets colder and the likelihood of rain (and sometimes snowflakes) increases a lot.

December seems less grey than November but this may just be my impression. Of course in December you have Christmas lights and decorations so this makes a difference too, as well as the possibility of snow at any time.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:40 AM

OH GOD

Acajack, I am inlove now.

love that bright blue sky

Old 10-09-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
OH GOD

Acajack, I am inlove now.

love that bright blue sky
Yes, looking out the window it is a bright blue sky again today with just a few high thin clouds.

Temperature is 15C in early afternoon. Could get a degree or two more later but not much more than that.

It was cool when I left for work this morning around 8 am. About 3C.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:18 PM

36 posts, read 24,994 times
October is usually a very pleasant month. Nights get colder but it's usually nothing too uncomfortable (usually above zero, occasionally slightly below). I drove to Mont-Tremblant this past weekend and the weather was perfect. Cool in the morning but warm enough in the afternoon that I could enjoy a meal and a beer on a patio. The colours up there are something. The peak in Ottawa-Gatineau will probably be in two weeks. Gatineau Park might peak next week.

Old 10-12-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukos View Post
October is usually a very pleasant month. Nights get colder but it's usually nothing too uncomfortable (usually above zero, occasionally slightly below). I drove to Mont-Tremblant this past weekend and the weather was perfect. Cool in the morning but warm enough in the afternoon that I could enjoy a meal and a beer on a patio. The colours up there are something. The peak in Ottawa-Gatineau will probably be in two weeks. Gatineau Park might peak next week.
How is Ottawa in regards to Hipster things like coffee shops, flea markets, jazz or salsa venues, etc.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
How is Ottawa in regards to Hipster things like coffee shops, flea markets, jazz or salsa venues, etc.
It has all of that although the options are not as numerous and diverse as in Montréal or Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau