Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:50 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickiesflores View Post
I am planning on relocating to the Orlando area before winter. I am curious to know where the safest neighborhoods to live are and good schools. I am far from rich, but I cannot handle another winter. I work for the state and make ok money. I live in a 4 bed/2bath duplex that I pay $795 a month for. I live in a nice family oriented established neighborhood where it is safe and no problems. Any guidance? What is it like during hurricane season? I thank you for your response.
Whew.... Going to be tough to find what you're currently living in for that price and if you do I'd question the neighborhood....

As for hurricanes??? '04 was a bad year, but other than that in my 12 years in the Orlando area we were hardly touched by hurricanes. When they come you make sure you're stocked up on water and some canned food and a grill as base supplies. Typically the worst that's going to happen is a loss of power for a couple of days which absolutely sucks, but compared to the coast it's nothing. It takes a strong hurricane to come straight across the middle of the peninsula to really mess with Orlando too much....

Old 05-10-2007, 04:38 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboflgrl View Post
As far as weighing the pros and cons of safety, traffic, people, etc., I would pick Oviedo over Winter Park any day. (No offense to intended to anyone living in WP - it's just an opinion).
I'd pick Winter Park over Oviedo... and I live in Oviedo. Winter Park is one of the few places where you can actually walk to a few places . Oviedo is not walkable at all unless you live in an apartment next to a strip-mall. If you like being car dependent, Oviedo is fine. But traffic here will get worse, if you think it is fine now.

When I first moved here with my family in 1996, traffic was almost nonexistant. It has steadily gotten worse in the last 6 years. Some intersections, such as Red Bug and Lockwood, are frankly dangerous at rush hour, and some of the intersections along lockwood need to be signalized, or turned into roundabouts, as they are not safe for the people that actually live there and need to enter around rush hour.

You can add in the typical incompetence and aggressiveness of the average Central Florida driver to a cause. These people will do things like park in an intersection on a red light and "feel" out an opening, or block traffic. Things that get you a ticket in other states. The cops are too busy eating donuts I guess, to write some tickets.

Oh, and Oviedo is not perfect for crime- the crime thing is everywhere in Orlando, if you discount the serious stuff like murders- your car can be broken in to everywhere. Vandalism and destruction of private property has been increasing, even in upscale neighborhoods. According to some of the hubbub going around ,some of the neighborhoods in Oviedo have actually decreased in desireability, and housing prices have fallen just like the rest of the country. We have also gotten more minorities into these areas, particularly from Haiti/Jamaica, but also hispanics of various kinds - normally I'm not against minorities but you are seeing more single moms and that sort of thing- not established minority families, and people that have not been in the US very long and have obvious thick accents (why the heck are we even letting Jamaicans in the country? They aren't refugees). Single moms IMO are not the best people to be raising children, and their kids will probably grow up to be delinquents. It could explain why, according to the police, we've had more gang-related activities in the area.

According to the police a bunch of hispanic kids went around and slashed some neighborhood cars, dozens in fact- everybody on the block had slashed tiers if they had cars in the street. They wanted people to sign affadavits pressing charges so they could lock the kids up for a while. When we moved in here there were mostly young families and singles, several gay couples. Now it has gravitated more towards older families with kids in their teens- the singles and gays have left, and there is more trouble. Kids ride around in groups on skateboards in the streets, and probably are accounting for some of the vandalism at night. Not really serious troublemakers but all the ingredients are there. At the very least, they present a safety hazard, as they play on blind curves- I almost nailed two of them one time on a curve on my motorcycle, good thing I knew how to brake on a curve.

The only problem with Winter Park is housing is high. IMO though Winter Park is a model location that all the other towns in the area should have emulated- it was built up by people who wanted to creat a nice town with some culture behind it, and it was also built before cars were widespread (in the 20's and 30's). Why is Winter Park so expensive? Because it is desireable and there are few other towns in CF like it.

Last edited by Magnulus; 05-10-2007 at 05:00 AM..

Old 05-10-2007, 06:40 AM

17 posts, read 73,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickiesflores View Post
I am planning on relocating to the Orlando area before winter. I am curious to know where the safest neighborhoods to live are and good schools. I am far from rich, but I cannot handle another winter. I work for the state and make ok money. I live in a 4 bed/2bath duplex that I pay $795 a month for. I live in a nice family oriented established neighborhood where it is safe and no problems. Any guidance? What is it like during hurricane season? I thank you for your response.
I have to agree, it will be very difficult to find a place that size for that money. There are a few things for around $1000, but they're not in the most family-oriented places (not bad areas, just not really the suburbs). There's a few up by the Florida Mall and one out by the airport for $1000. Interest rates are low and if you have good credit, it might be best to try and buy a house, maybe with an interest-only mortgage, though if you're not sure how long you want to stay, you should stick with renting.

And hurricane season is nothing anyone can predict. No one saw Charlie and his buddies coming, but then they kept bleeting about what a terrible season last year would be, but we got nothing at all. It takes quite a blow to get us so far into the middle of the state, but as long as you make sure to get flood insurance along with regular home, you should be fine.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:30 AM

6 posts, read 35,176 times
I appeciate all the input I can get. Where are the good, safe areas to live in? Please give me any guidance that you can as I am planniing to move and I need all the info that I can get, Is there any resources that I can use to look for employment, schools, neighborhoods, etc....Approx. how many miles is Orlando from the east coast? West coast? I need to know the good little towns around, please help me with what you can. I live in Omaha, NE whre life is cheap and crime is here but low, not like in the larger cities. Gas is about $3.04 a gallon, milk is $2.29 and ground beef is anywhere from $1.89 and up. It is a beautiful 91 degrees here this fabulous Mother's Day. Have a great day, I look forward to reply's.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:46 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
I LOVE living near Orlando, I am about halfway inbetween Orlando and Daytona...

My daughter and I love to go to the parks in Orlando, especially the water parks...the shopping is great in Orlando as well. There is every kind of restaurant you can think of. Because International drive is packed with tourists, it has a celebritory air that lasts year around. I love that at any given time I can look over and find someone visiting from another country. One time I road the gondola with a guy from Chili (at Blizzard Beach), it was interesting to speak with someone from another country and see what life was like for him.

I also LOVE the temperate climate, I love being warm, not hot. I would LOVE to have a pool in the backyard, next time I have 40 grand I will...in the meantime there is one in the development I live in...my daughter and I lOVE to play in the water...
We are only about 45 minuts from the East coast of Florida and we also love going to the beach.
I also love to visit Sanibel and Captiva islands...its only about a 3 hours drive from here. When we got on the Disney cruise, I just hopped on 95 and drove down to Canaveral and jumped on the boat...

There are drawbacks just like with anywhere but this is as close to heaven as I have gotten so far...if I had the money I would be living on Upper Captiva...over off the coast of Fort Myers...that would be heaven for real.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:20 AM

5 posts, read 34,284 times
Default Help!!

Need help and would like truthfull answers. Moving down from Maryland, and am looking for a decent neighborhood to live where I can feel safe. Looking to rent a house. Son will be attending Full Sail. Checked Winter Park area is not what I had in mind for living. Am middle class family, hubby is an electrician. Any info would be helpful. Relocating and not having an idea of areas is becoming real stressful.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:25 AM

640 posts, read 3,075,853 times
Hi Linnfamily,

Sent you a private message.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:51 PM

266 posts, read 1,162,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnfamily View Post
Need help and would like truthfull answers. Moving down from Maryland, and am looking for a decent neighborhood to live where I can feel safe. Looking to rent a house. Son will be attending Full Sail. Checked Winter Park area is not what I had in mind for living. Am middle class family, hubby is an electrician. Any info would be helpful. Relocating and not having an idea of areas is becoming real stressful.
Check the 32792 area code. A neighborhood like Eastbrooke may be what you're looking for. Modest homes, established subdivision, good schools - only blocks from Full Sail. Note: the Orange/Seminole County line goes right through the middle of the subdivision - either side is OK, but my personal preference falls with Seminole.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:26 AM

2 posts, read 16,154 times
Default I have heard that Orlando is the worst

I have been told by so many people that Orlando, Florida is a place for "DOGS' not for people. I have been told that there is more "TRASH" (low-life scum) living in Orlando, Florida than in most other places. Orlando, Florida seems to be getting a very bad name. I am just wondering if this is true...can it really be that bad. I hear that the pay scale there is like $6.00 per hour and that would be a good job. Someone told me that they work at Fed X/Kinko's and make $6.50 per hour.....WOW....how can you live on $6.50 per hour if you have a family.

Also heard that Best Buy only pays $6.00 per hour...these, I know, are not good jobs, but am told that this type of job is about all you can get...........I am an RN....what would the rate be for an RN? Is there a need for RN'S? I don't want to have to work at some penny anny place like Wal-Mart, Best Buy or Disney or Kinko's..........I spent too much money for my education to waste it on those types of jobs..........those jobs are more for people who do not have an education or who are working on an education. I don't mean to sound MEAN, but, hey, let's face it.......you can't get far working at places like that.

That Disney scene is not for me....brings in alot of SCUM if you know what I mean. I certainly would not want to live anywhere near Disney. So, how is life in Orlando....be honest.

So, how bad is it.....really....please.

Last edited by mousey111; 05-19-2007 at 12:46 AM..

Old 05-19-2007, 12:56 AM

2 posts, read 16,154 times
Default I have heard that Orlando is the worst

I have been told by so many people that Orlando, Florida is a place for "DOGS' not for people. I have been told that there is more "TRASH" (low-life scum) living in Orlando, Florida than in most other places. Orlando, Florida seems to be getting a very bad name. I am just wondering if this is true...can it really be that bad. I hear that the pay scale there is like $6.00 per hour and that would be a good job. Someone told me that they work at Fed X/Kinko's and make $6.50 per hour.....WOW....how can you live on $6.50 per hour if you have a family.

That Disney scene is not for me....brings in alot of SCUM if you know what I mean.

So, how bad is it.....really....please/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando