Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2006, 10:44 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,869,200 times

Advertisements

I've been watching the news and they're having a big heat wave across the U.S.A. Most of the states have tempertures over 100 degrees. Here I am on the coast of Oregon and we had a high temperture of 64 degrees today. I'm hoping we'll get up to 70 degrees by the end of the week. It was in the 80's in Eugene and Portland. Are we lucky or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 11:30 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,482,331 times
The problem with the Oregon Coast is that it is CHILLY! Yes, we avoid the heat, but it only feels good being cool if you've recently been warm. The day before yesterday it was 52 degrees at noon...in July. That's overshooting the heat comfort index. There are some people whose personal thermostats are stuck to the chilly side of normal and who have a preference for cold summers. For them, this is heaven. Personally, I think summers should be warm, and the lack of heat and sunshine here in the summer is the primary defect of the climate (and not the amount of rain and clouds in winter, as many people imagine). Our gardens can grow all kinds of wonderful fruit and vegetables, but most taste insipid because it's just too cold too much of the time. Can't even ripen a tomato before late October.

Fortunately, it's 84F at 10:00 a.m. here in Brookings right now, and it's finally comfortable to be outside doing things. Unfortunately, it won't last.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:54 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,247,524 times
Default Another Sunny Day along the Coast

It's a beautiful day today! In fact, another sunny one today on the South Coast. Don't be fooled by numbers. Even though we usually reach the upper 60's, there's a 3 to 4 hour window in the afternoons when the sun is on the downside that it actually gets downright hot with the numbers reading 60's. Gotta love the Coast. I like that saying, "If you're lucky enough to live by the beach, you're lucky enough".

Old 07-17-2006, 05:52 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,869,200 times
Yep it's a sunny day on the coast. We have a sea breeze blowing so the temperature seems just right. I am sure glad not to have those 100 plus degree temperatures. We are lucky to be on the coast during this time of year.
My favorite time of year is the fall. It stays nice and sunny on into the middle of Nov. most of time.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:45 PM
HDL

3,217 posts, read 6,801,011 times
Oh could you brag any more??? I am so jealous!!! Unfortunately, it's me and 3 dogs (one very close to death) and I have no place to go to get away from this scorcher here in Boise ID. Can't leave the dogs and too hard to find hotels with 3 large dogs.

Can you tell me though if there are new homes being built by the coast (Brookings or ?) that are nice looking and around ~$200-$300K (no laughing!). Also, what employment is there? Tourism and service? Low paying jobs?

Old 07-18-2006, 07:29 AM

10 posts, read 35,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydawglady
Oh could you brag any more??? I am so jealous!!! Unfortunately, it's me and 3 dogs (one very close to death) and I have no place to go to get away from this scorcher here in Boise ID. Can't leave the dogs and too hard to find hotels with 3 large dogs.

Can you tell me though if there are new homes being built by the coast (Brookings or ?) that are nice looking and around ~$200-$300K (no laughing!). Also, what employment is there? Tourism and service? Low paying jobs?
Scorcher only begins to describe it If you only need 1 or 2 bedrooms, you can certainly find something in Brookings for under 300K. blupac.com is a place to start - has local listings, searchable by price, number beds/baths town, waterfront, waterview etc. Or if you want to run a fish and chippy, there's one for sale

p.s. I'm sorry to hear about your ailing dog All good wishes to both of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon