Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 07:40 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Carb solutions?

Carburetors haven't been used in cars and trucks since the late 1980s or so when most manufacturers switched to fuel injection.
CARB: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2023, 01:14 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Carb solutions?

Carburetors haven't been used in cars and trucks since the late 1980s or so when most manufacturers switched to fuel injection.

Pretty sure author is referring to the bureaucracy known as California Air Resources Board (otherwise known as CARB). This is the un-elected bureaucracy mandating insanity in the former Golden State.

Old 11-03-2023, 04:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Pretty sure author is referring to the bureaucracy known as California Air Resources Board (otherwise known as CARB). This is the un-elected bureaucracy mandating insanity in the former Golden State.
and.. the (2) 'other' Left cost wannabes. (just like CA)

WA voters axed CARB

Sissy gov said... "If Oregon Passes it, WA will adopt it as well (without a vote)"

Of course Oregon passed it!!!

Bogus Nanny Rules and needless burdens on businesses and taxpayers is right up their alley. (and now burdening WA as well, for no reason, except Wannabe).

it's very good for sustaining Gov jobs. (and pension obligations)

Old 11-17-2023, 06:33 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
I remember the early days when self service was a total pain in the neck before pay at the pump became common place at gas stations. Back in the days up to the 1990s one had to line up and declare their pump numbers to the station manager before pumping and than pump and than line up to pay after fill up. It also caused an issue called gas and dash sometimes due to the driver having an emergency and the manager not able to collect payment in time and not intentional theft. To combat this issue Gas stations pay before you pump. While this means no more need to line up again after pumping to pay, however it also meant drivers would have to calculate how much to fill, in order not to overpay.

I never been to Oregon after pay at the pump became popular however back in pre pay at the pump days I bet people didn't want full service to go away, as they don't have to go through all that hassle to get gas. They were coursed away at other states due to full service pumps becoming rarer and more expensive by the month. The $.30-$1 difference kept widening over self service back in its final years when they still appeared at major oil companies gas pumps.

Its like today's bring your own bag and bag your own groceries grocers and policy makers are headed down. No one saves a cent except big grocers themselves by paying for less bags, baggers, and cashiers while constantly raising prices and pocketing the difference for themselves or shareholders.

Old 11-17-2023, 03:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I remember the early days when self service was a total pain in the neck before pay at the pump became common place at gas stations. Back in the days up to the 1990s one had to line up and declare their pump numbers to the station manager before pumping and than pump and than line up to pay after fill up. It also caused an issue called gas and dash sometimes due to the driver having an emergency and the manager not able to collect payment in time and not intentional theft. To combat this issue Gas stations pay before you pump. While this means no more need to line up again after pumping to pay, however it also meant drivers would have to calculate how much to fill, in order not to overpay.

I never been to Oregon after pay at the pump became popular however back in pre pay at the pump days I bet people didn't want full service to go away, as they don't have to go through all that hassle to get gas. They were coursed away at other states due to full service pumps becoming rarer and more expensive by the month. The $.30-$1 difference kept widening over self service back in its final years when they still appeared at major oil companies gas pumps.

Its like today's bring your own bag and bag your own groceries grocers and policy makers are headed down. No one saves a cent except big grocers themselves by paying for less bags, baggers, and cashiers while constantly raising prices and pocketing the difference for themselves or shareholders.
I remember the pay-at-the-pump days well, waiting in line for a sullen teenager sitting on a stool behind a counter to take your payment.

Old 11-18-2023, 08:45 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
I be curious how much changes Oregon stations need to make to facilitate self serve. I haven't been there for a while but in the old days its like anywhere else where the manager needs to unlock/activate the pump manually for the attendant to fill up the gas. I am assuming they would need to activate pay at the pump w/o a special keycard?

Back in the early days when self service was introduced it was entirely for the benefit of the gas station owner to hire less attendants not the users prices did not go down. There wasn't any convienence at least not until it was possible to pay by credit card at the pump. Still a hassle for cash customers even today. I am thinking whether this means Oregon and New Jersey probably have a higher number of people paying cash for how much they fill.

I be curious whether CARB seems outdated as today's vehicle and fuel are much much cleaner than it was back in the days around the US and pretty much all of the developed world where most vehicles sold are made.

Old 11-18-2023, 07:36 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
I be curious how much changes Oregon stations need to make to facilitate self serve. I haven't been there for a while but in the old days its like anywhere else where the manager needs to unlock/activate the pump manually for the attendant to fill up the gas. I am assuming they would need to activate pay at the pump w/o a special keycard?
Pretty much none I suspect. At least for all the corporate chain gas stations.

Every I have ever visited in Oregon had the same exact pay-at-the-pump credit card readers as gas stations in other states. The only difference in Oregon is that you would hand your card out the car window to the pump jockey and he/she would swipe your card at the pump instead of you getting out of the car to do it yourself.

Old 11-19-2023, 09:03 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

No prob, as we won't need (or be allowed) fossil fuels at some not-to-distant point..
You and I will both be long gone before that day.

Wow, this thread is really something! In Juneau, AK, I know of one station that will pump gas for you. The rest are self serve.

On a visit many years ago, my wife attempted to put diesel fuel in our rent a car at a gas station in Anchorage. Good thing I caught it.

In Hilo and other towns in East Hawaii, I'm not aware of any stations that will pump gas for you.

With labor shortages just about everywhere, a requirement for attendants to pump gas doesn't seem practical IMO.

Old 11-19-2023, 11:45 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Quote:

I've been on the Oregon coast many times when it was windy, cold, and wet, and having someone come to pump your gas was a welcome change from the Wa. stations that seemed indifferent to the customers discomfort. Same in the grocery bizz, "do it yourself" has become the mantra in so much of the US that the entirety of commerce now embraces fending for yourself as an acceptable substitute for the decades of good service we came to expect. I'd think we could still use a full service lane or two in most stations and stores..

Old 11-20-2023, 02:40 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I've been on the Oregon coast many times when it was windy, cold, and wet, and having someone come to pump your gas was a welcome change from the Wa. stations that seemed indifferent to the customers discomfort. Same in the grocery bizz, "do it yourself" has become the mantra in so much of the US that the entirety of commerce now embraces fending for yourself as an acceptable substitute for the decades of good service we came to expect. I'd think we could still use a full service lane or two in most stations and stores..

No problem with a "full service" option. I think it is great for those that are willing to PAY FOR IT.
I and millions of others are fine doing this task however. We should not have to pay for those who desire a fancier, more expensive option.

If the WA stations which you state were "indifferent" to your comfort, charged you a nickel/gal for the benefit - would you pay it?

I have hard time with the statement implying bagging groceries and pumping gas are "Fending for ourselves"

Geez - what a first world problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon