Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:23 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,823 times

Advertisements

We are moving to California in 2008 and we can't decide where we want to live. We're thinking about Orange County. We want to live in a gated community that is new, has nice houses, and has an urban feel. We are thinking about Coto De Caza, Ladera Ranch, and a few others. Our price range is $4 to 6 million. Also how are the schools and how close is shopping and restaurants?

We're also thinking about some of the gated communities in Los Angeles, specifically Beverly Hills and Hollywood like Bel-Air. What are some others ones there?

We're coming to LA in January to look at everything and try to make a decision. Any information you could give would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 03:34 PM

48,117 posts, read 21,997,640 times
OMG I don't think you will qualify, maybe you should set your sights just a little lower. Maybe a nice condo in Long Beach. And shopping is really so terribly passe, don't you think? Do your children actually live with you and go to public schools? Oh Dear! You poor things.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:39 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,543 times
Your price range puts you at an excellent point for purchasing a beautiful home in Orange County. Here are my favorite exclusive "$4-6 million" gated neighborhoods:
Covenant Hills in Ladera Ranch (beautiful and master planned to perfection, architecture is stunning, all the neighbors know each other, good schools (save the high school which is new and hasn't proved itself)).
Ocean Ranch or Bear Brand Ranch or South Peak Estates in Laguna Niguel (coastal setting, most homes with ocean views, near the beach, excellent schools, good shopping, excellent climate).
Shady Canyon in Irvine (exclusive golf community, excellent schools, big lots)
Sea Pointe Estates in San Clemente (set on a hill in the beach community of San Clemente, great ocean views, excellent beaches close by, good schools)
Newport Coast, Pelican Hill, or Harbor View Estates in Newport Beach (stunning homes in one of the most expensive and exclusive areas of the country, close to the ocean, world class shopping, good schools, some people are a little stuck up (some)).

My take on Coto de Caza: Out in the middle of no where, hot due to being so inland, more drinking than normal among high school students, far from the freeway (25 minutes), you can get a big home out there for less many than in a coastal city.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:10 PM

48,117 posts, read 21,997,640 times
Oh if you were serious, I owe you an apology. Your situation is so different from my experience I thought you were joking and returned in kind.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:42 PM

916 posts, read 3,699,515 times
Given the price range I'll assume commuting is not an issue. If true, and you want "new" then choose OC. If you want urban, with unique homes and culture, choose LA. If you choose OC over LA, probably stick to Laguna or Newport for the closest thing to good shopping and eating. The rest of OC is fairly suburban and tract / cookie cutter housing and shopping malls. Though again at that price range you could probably find some gated communities with custom homes. Also, if you like walking to stuff, OC really doesn't have that outside of Newport / Laguna.

And I agree, with Mission. Coto is way too far inland and in the middle of nowhere. Ladera is kind of the same really.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,543 times
Hey, if you ever wanted a beautiful lake front home then check out this house in gated Tres Vistas Estates on Lake Mission Viejo in South Orange County. I have always loved this home. Its $3.5 million so it undercuts your budget and you could buy a lot extra stuff with that 500k. Maybe buy a Ferrari
http://prucalimages.fnistools.com//Images/Listing/55002/Large/S510739_1.jpg (broken link)
27562 San Blas, Mission Viejo, CA | California Real Estate | Listing Information

Mission Viejo is majority middle and upper middle class so if you want to live in a city dominated by millionaires, then do stick to OC's two most expensive cities, Newport Beach and Laguna Beach.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:20 AM

112 posts, read 406,126 times
OMG, how are you so rich? For $4-6 million, you can live anywhere you want in the OC. And obviously the schools will be good in such an affluent neighborhood. In my opinion, the richest cities in the OC are:

1. Newport Beach
2. Laguna Beach
3. Villa Park
4. Irvine
5. Huntington Beach

There are cities in South County too, but you can forget being near anything urban down there.

Move somewhere along the border of Irvine/Newport. Great schools, closest thing to a metropolitan in OC, and away from the inner cities such as Anaheim or Santa Ana.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,444 times
You are one of the few that will obviously not have to worry about the high cost of living in Orange County, or anywhere else for that matter. As far as schools, if I was able to afford a $4 million home I would certainly have my kids in private school. You will most likely want to be near the beach if you have never lived in CA, so I would look in Newport Beach or Laguna Beach. What fun to be able to basically choose wherever you want to live and be able to afford it. I'm green with envy. Good luck to you!

Old 12-20-2007, 01:56 AM

14 posts, read 57,291 times
longhornfan,

there are many communities for you to choose from in the areas you mentioned. as far as schools are concerned, schools on the west side of los angles tend to be very competitive related to scholastic aptitude etc. in general, it depends on the feel you are looking for as the two cities offer very unique differences. if you are looking for the urban feel, west la is the way to go. however, there are many beach communites in la. orange county in my opinion has a more suburban feel. certain parts (near john wayne airport) are more urban. i would suggest a detailed tour of both cities prior to making your decision.Moderator cut: soliciting and or advertising not allowed per site TOS

Last edited by da jammer; 12-20-2007 at 05:55 AM..

Old 12-20-2007, 11:51 PM

27 posts, read 148,780 times
Don't live in Orange County. I would go with west LA. Hollywood Hills is a great area close to alot of celebs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County