Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:47 AM

16 posts, read 38,865 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a very nice new opportunity in Philly. We have talked about possibly making the move back east (he's originally from VA, I'm Local OC girl). Looking at the homes available back there, the lifestyle and home we could have there would obviously far exceed what we have here.

But...as much as I don't like some things about how OC, and CA in general, have changed, I know the weather and activities we have available out here are hard to beat. Even though we could have a huge property and a bigger home, is the humidity, snow and different mind-set worth it?

We own a house in Tustin and I would prefer renting it out over selling it (well...selling it would be hard right now anyway) if only to have a place to land back here if it doesn't work out.

Has anyone else rented out their home while moving out of state? Was it do-able with a property management company? Any tips?

If you did, did you stay where you were or move back? Just curious of other experiences.

Thank you for your time answering my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 12:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SoCalGirl View Post
is the humidity, snow and different mind-set worth it?

No.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:22 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,913,889 times
70 below wind chill factors and 20 foot snow drifts. That's too much for me.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:44 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SoCalGirl View Post
Even though we could have a huge property and a bigger home, is the humidity, snow and different mind-set worth it?
The weather in the Philly area is not that bad, although its more humid in the summer than here it rarely gets particularly hot so its not really a problem. Also, the increased summer humidity translates into more rain which keeps everything nice and green. The snow in Philly is also not so bad, you rarely get large snow storms and when it does snow it usually only sticks around for a week or so (because the temps don't consistently stay below ~30 for long).

Anyhow, I moved from Orange County to PA in the past and it took me 1-2 years to adjust. I eventually moved back to California, but I often wonder whether I should have stayed in PA. As a California native you may dislike it at first, but you really need to give it 1-2 years to adjust.

I would sale your Tustin home, managing a rental from the other side of the country is going to be difficult. Additionally, the price is likely to go down not up.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:47 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
70 below wind chill factors and 20 foot snow drifts. That's too much for me.
This does not describe the Philly area. Philly never gets -70 wind chills and 20 foot snow drifts? C'mon.....

Old 08-29-2010, 11:45 AM

16 posts, read 38,865 times
user_id, thanks for the useable info. I actual spent a summer in Malvern as a kid visiting friends. I just remember it being hot and drizzly, but green everywhere! Oh, and fireflies...something OC kids never see!

I'm glad to hear the snow and cold aren't as bad as I expected. We're still mulling the idea over (though we have to make a decision here soon).

Thanks again for the advice.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
The reason I never considered the east coast is the climate. If you hate hot and humid, they've got that. If you hate cold and snow, they've got that too. Its like you can't win. As nasty as the summers are in the South, at least they don't have bad winters too. I know a guy from Ohio who was once offered a promotion if he moved back. He said he was OK with the winters but the summers kept him away.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:41 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,760,647 times
While it's not Philly, part of my family relocated from SW NY/NW PA because of the climate 60 years ago and they'll never go back

Anyways, get a competent property management co to handle the property and you'll be fine. Don't try to handle it directly while being located out of state

Old 08-29-2010, 11:18 PM

11 posts, read 41,750 times
We just made the opposite relocation from Philly to OC. I love Philly and miss so much of the city lifestyle that you don't get out here. All the different neighborhoods. Being able to walk to cool cafes and restaurants. Insanely good Italian food. No strip malls. Not having to drive everywhere. (I guess you can tell I haven't adjusted to life in CA yet) Anyway, it's a very livable east coast city. Granted, it's not 78 and sunny every day, but the change of seasons is kind of nice and the occasional snowstorm is kind of fun.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:01 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
Never was a big fan of Philladelphia, and one of the reasons why I originally left the east coast was the weather.

You can find a little bit of everything there. Love the rowing commmunity

Personally if I were to relocated to Philly, I would look for homes in the Atlantic City (NJ) Area. Its worth the commute if you like the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County