Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:43 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,431,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Very frustrating indeed...IF I could afford to San Francisco, Portland, or even San Diego and Los Angeles, I would.
Ha! That's a big part of why I moved to Minneapolis. And hey, Pittsburgh has done a lot to remake itself and it's a blue city in a blue state that borders Ohio...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 02:28 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,896,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Ha! That's a big part of why I moved to Minneapolis. And hey, Pittsburgh has done a lot to remake itself and it's a blue city in a blue state that borders Ohio...
The revival is limited to a few neighborhoods and suburbs. There is much more of a stark contrast between the wealthy and poor. On the whole, the city/county has declined and it is getting worse. Pittsburgh was a much different place 5 years ago. I would have recommended the city to everyone back then. Now I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:32 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,249,733 times
Quote:
I could never live in a city that I completely hate it's sports teams...plus if I'm going to move out of Ohio again, it's not going to be to a city that has the same weather as well...I can't stand winter in Ohio...and Pittsburgh gets more snow than Columbus even gets...SF doesnt' get snow...and doesn't get too hot..hence why I'd go there in a heartbeat.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:47 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,431,483 times
SF has ridiculous hills and my bike is my car, so that's a deterrent if the cost wasn't. With Kasich in power Ohio's best cities are sure to fall further behind rather than catch up somewhat with the best 2nd tier cities like Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, etc. Instead, they'll have to settle for remaining a step above cities like Omaha, Kansas City, and Indianapolis. Kasich is anti-city and not surprisingly will continue to look out for the exurbs and rural towns, especially at the expense of the cities.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:21 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,092,980 times
You're welcome to Marty Owe'Malley. Maryland is done with him. Remember this in 2016 when he is running for President:

RGA Maryland Ad: "Picture Perfect" - YouTube

Old 11-11-2014, 10:47 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,087,418 times
Quote:
SF has ridiculous hills and my bike is my car, so that's a deterrent if the cost wasn't. With Kasich in power Ohio's best cities are sure to fall further behind rather than catch up somewhat with the best 2nd tier cities like Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, etc. Instead, they'll have to settle for remaining a step above cities like Omaha, Kansas City, and Indianapolis. Kasich is anti-city and not surprisingly will continue to look out for the exurbs and rural towns, especially at the expense of the cities.
Um, considering that the 3-Cs are actually peers with the likes of KC and Indy rather than Seattle and Denver, the fact that they're one-step above them would be pretty positive. You're always trying to push the idea that the 3-Cs (mostly Columbus) are failing wildly if they're not on the level of cities many times larger. It's an asinine position and something you never seem to get.

As far as Kasich goes, he's basically your average modern Republican. No surprises there.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:31 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,853,139 times
Every time I pass a construction zone on the highway knowing the road is being widened - such as I-70 near Springfield, or a long stretch of I-75 in Cincinnati - all I can say is "I love John Kasich". It means he's serious about upgrading the state's infrastructure, and in the case of federal highways, is quick to step up to the plate and get the project started. Those respective stretches are long overdue for additional capacity.

No more streetcars, no more "transit", no more things that don't actually make an appreciable dent on congestion. I'm very happy knowing streetcar money from the state was likely diverted to something that lots of people will actually use, not just a select few who live in an urban core.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:51 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,508,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Every time I pass a construction zone on the highway knowing the road is being widened - such as I-70 near Springfield, or a long stretch of I-75 in Cincinnati - all I can say is "I love John Kasich". It means he's serious about upgrading the state's infrastructure, and in the case of federal highways, is quick to step up to the plate and get the project started. Those respective stretches are long overdue for additional capacity.

No more streetcars, no more "transit", no more things that don't actually make an appreciable dent on congestion. I'm very happy knowing streetcar money from the state was likely diverted to something that lots of people will actually use, not just a select few who live in an urban core.
You are aware that the planning phase of the I-75 project began in 2004 and it just happened that the construction is going on now. This construction would be taking place regardless of who the governor of Ohio is. (I was going to say regardless of who is occupying the governor's mansion, but we all know that Kasich refused to move into the official residence and instead made the state responsible for security upgrades on his private home) Kasich had nothing to do with the current highway construction.

Thru the Valley
Schedule

Old 11-12-2014, 10:11 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,166,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post

I should also point out that the cost of re-doing a highway is far greater than the cost on installing mass transit.

Downtown Dayton SubCorridor | Miami Valley Regional Planning Commission
Cincinnati Streetcar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Current re-work project on I-75 through downtown Dayton = $262 million
(doesn't include the additional $271 million on re-work on I-75 already done downtown since 2010)
Streetcar project in Cincinnati = $102 million

So cutting the streetcar wouldn't even put a dent in the overall transportation budget of the state. The costs are minuscule compared to highway costs.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:17 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,853,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Current re-work project on I-75 through downtown Dayton = $262 million
Streetcar project in Cincinnati = $102 million
Since we're in the business of comparing two different pieces of infrastructure, why don't you tell me how many vehicles use I-75 through downtown Dayton on a daily basis?

And please compare this to the estimated number of vehicles the streetcar will get off the road in Cincinnati? It doesn't take a genius to say that the number of vehicles taken off I-75 will be very few, indeed, on account of the streetcar. In fact, there's no reason to even build the streetcar, except that Mark Mallory, Roxanne Qualls, and a few other people who started 3CDC are personally invested along the Vine Street corridor and stand to gain the most from a streetcar, at the expense of everyone else.

The Cincinnati streetcar is one of the most asinine ideas in history, and will certainly go down as a massive failure right alongside the empty subway tunnel, or the empty riverfront transit center. I guess I can't rip on the Banks as much, since it's finally being built, but might I remind you it's fifteen years behind schedule? Construction on the Banks was supposed to be done at the same time or soon after Fort Washington Way was redone... that project was completed in 2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio