Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 07:30 PM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
On the flip side, you may feel unsafe fairly quickly. I would not commit to a lease for year - I'd find something month to month.
Perhaps. I still say that the talk of feeling unsafe is ridiculous, but, again, that's coming from my experiences.

Month to month wouldn't be bad, though, if it's not too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 08:00 AM

100 posts, read 78,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
And you may find that you absolutely love Waianae
Very possible! I can't wait for hubby's retirement so we can go explore our options.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
On the flip side, you may feel unsafe fairly quickly. I would not commit to a lease for year - I'd find something month to month.
My thought is to rent in a "safer" area and then have time to truly explore the island. It would give us the opportunity to meet and talk to people that have lived there for awhile and get a good perspective. Who knows, it might not even be our forever home after we give it a try.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Perhaps. I still say that the talk of feeling unsafe is ridiculous, but, again, that's coming from my experiences.

Month to month wouldn't be bad, though, if it's not too expensive.
I think I can relate to the "being unsafe" - perhaps from being female more than anything. When I stayed in Waikiki and would go to dinner late, I enjoyed the shopping along Kalakaua Ave. (even if it was mostly window shopping - lots of luxury shops!!!) Crazy amount of people - at least until the shops closed. But if I stayed until after 11:00 p.m., I had to walk home past Fort DeRussy Park. At that point, there are fewer tourists that late at night (until you reach Hilton Hawaiian Village), and I'll admit being a little scared and looking behind my back alot. The back part of the old International Marketplace was also a little scary as it got later in the evening. But I loved it. I wish they had kept it the way it was. I don't like the new International Marketplace - there is enough of the high end stuff anyway. But I get that they are attracting a certain type of tourist (wealthy!) by doing what they did. So, I would imagine that there are some areas that I just would not go out at night which is sad because I love Hawaii at nighttime.

My only thought about living there temporarily is transportation. We can easily put our stuff in storage in TX. and rent a furnished place using just our retirement income. Take the bare amount of clothing and daily stuff we need, so we don't have to take a lot back if we don't stay. But a vehicle is the only thing that I can think of that would be both necessary and costly. Do we ship one of our older cars over there and just sell it in Hawaii if we return to the continental US? Or do we buy an inexpensive car to use? The Bus just doesn't seem practical for everything (trips to Costco, etc.) and taxis or Uber would significantly cut into the budget after awhile unless we lived somewhere we could walk almost everywhere (hello, Waikiki). But even when I stayed before, I rented a car several times to go to the Windward or North sides of the island.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:40 AM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashiongal View Post
I think I can relate to the "being unsafe" - perhaps from being female more than anything. When I stayed in Waikiki and would go to dinner late, I enjoyed the shopping along Kalakaua Ave. (even if it was mostly window shopping - lots of luxury shops!!!) Crazy amount of people - at least until the shops closed. But if I stayed until after 11:00 p.m., I had to walk home past Fort DeRussy Park. At that point, there are fewer tourists that late at night (until you reach Hilton Hawaiian Village), and I'll admit being a little scared and looking behind my back alot. The back part of the old International Marketplace was also a little scary as it got later in the evening. But I loved it. I wish they had kept it the way it was. I don't like the new International Marketplace - there is enough of the high end stuff anyway. But I get that they are attracting a certain type of tourist (wealthy!) by doing what they did. So, I would imagine that there are some areas that I just would not go out at night which is sad because I love Hawaii at nighttime.

My only thought about living there temporarily is transportation. We can easily put our stuff in storage in TX. and rent a furnished place using just our retirement income. Take the bare amount of clothing and daily stuff we need, so we don't have to take a lot back if we don't stay. But a vehicle is the only thing that I can think of that would be both necessary and costly. Do we ship one of our older cars over there and just sell it in Hawaii if we return to the continental US? Or do we buy an inexpensive car to use? The Bus just doesn't seem practical for everything (trips to Costco, etc.) and taxis or Uber would significantly cut into the budget after awhile unless we lived somewhere we could walk almost everywhere (hello, Waikiki). But even when I stayed before, I rented a car several times to go to the Windward or North sides of the island.
Gotcha. If you felt that the Fort DeRussy Park area is sketchy at night (and I do recognize that the darkness of the area--it's just not very well lit--at night can put someone on edge), then Waianae very well may not be for you (and nothing wrong with that).

As far as shipping a car, how many cars do you have/how old are they? I think you'll have to keep in mind that the price of a vehicle in Hawaii will be more than a comparable vehicle on the mainland (that "island tax" and shipping costs are no joke, which also inflates the cost of used vehicles). I'd scope out used car ads and compare that to the value of your car and the cost that it would take to ship your car(s) to the island, taking care to estimate how much life you think your car has left (is it on its last legs, etc.?). If it makes sense, financially, to ship your vehicle(s), I'd do so. Otherwise, it may make sense to wait and buy something once you get on island.

TheBus I don't know much about it as I've never used it, so I'll let others chime in for that. That said, I wouldn't rely on the bus for something like carrying bulk items from Costco and the like as those things get pretty crowded and it would just be a huge inconvenience.

If you have to rent a car occasionally, that probably wouldn't break the bank, though.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Gotcha. If you felt that the Fort DeRussy Park area is sketchy at night (and I do recognize that the darkness of the area--it's just not very well lit--at night can put someone on edge), then Waianae very well may not be for you (and nothing wrong with that).

As far as shipping a car, how many cars do you have/how old are they? I think you'll have to keep in mind that the price of a vehicle in Hawaii will be more than a comparable vehicle on the mainland (that "island tax" and shipping costs are no joke, which also inflates the cost of used vehicles). I'd scope out used car ads and compare that to the value of your car and the cost that it would take to ship your car(s) to the island, taking care to estimate how much life you think your car has left (is it on its last legs, etc.?). If it makes sense, financially, to ship your vehicle(s), I'd do so. Otherwise, it may make sense to wait and buy something once you get on island.

TheBus I don't know much about it as I've never used it, so I'll let others chime in for that. That said, I wouldn't rely on the bus for something like carrying bulk items from Costco and the like as those things get pretty crowded and it would just be a huge inconvenience.

If you have to rent a car occasionally, that probably wouldn't break the bank, though.
I remember seeing some homeless people sleeping in Fort DeRussy park at night, so usually I would walk on the other side of the street to get to my dad's home. There is a stretch that gets pretty deserted later at night - after the Coach boutique on Kalakaua Ave., there aren't many shops and until you reach the Inn on the Park, there aren't many people. I'm a bit adventurous, I was by myself (my father had passed away, so I was staying by myself in his place) and I know I worried my hubby to death when I told him I was out walking alone so late at night. But, when I was in Hawaii, I wanted to experience every single second I could. Up before sunrise, out until 11-12 most nights. I'll admit I got a bit spoiled in Waikiki and it does give you that sense of vacation, which is far from the reality of actually living there (I was there for two months during that stay). Anyway, I digress. So, yes Waianae might not be for me, but I suppose I won't know until I live in Oahu for a while and check out all the areas. Things will be different when hubby is there, too. I think my "night walking" days will be over

As far as the cars are concerned, we both have old cars - 2008 and 2010. The 2008 is on it's last legs - has close to 180,000 miles. But I'm almost thinking that it is the one we should ship over (if we do so) and then just sell it to buy something new or sell it in HI if we move back home. I'd have to do the math on this to see if it makes sense. It will probably cost more than the car is worth to ship it over. I've intentionally put off buying a new car because I am not sure where we will end up at this point. I rode The Bus a few times when I was in Oahu the last time. The biggest negative was that it makes tons of stops if you are going a long way and you can't haul groceries, etc. If we lived in Waikiki, it would not matter as there are so many stores within walking distance you could go shopping for a few things everyday if needed (which is what I did when I was last there). But that still leaves out the big box stores like Costco, which are almost a necessity to help reduce costs (we use it here, too). There is so much to think about!

Old 09-02-2020, 09:44 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
I remember seeing some homeless people sleeping in Fort DeRussy park at night, so usually I would walk on the other side of the street to get to my dad's home. There is a stretch that gets pretty deserted later at night - after the Coach boutique on Kalakaua Ave., there aren't many shops and until you reach the Inn on the Park, there aren't many people.
Homelessness has more less been banned in Waikiki for the past few years due to sit-lie laws. They've done a decent job pushing them to other areas.

Now, if you want homelessness - full on tents and camps, you can't miss it in Waianae.

Stumbled on this article, USA Today worst cities to live in America - and of the 50 cities listed, 2 in Hawaii made the top 10. Makaha at #4 and Waianae at #8

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/haw...-america-list/

Waianae also has a violent crime rate 37% higher than Honolulu

Old 09-02-2020, 10:16 AM

62 posts, read 84,804 times
Quote:
Uh, oh. I did expect to get some responses like this. I do value everyone’s feedback. May I ask why you feel that way? Is it because the racial tension, the conditions of the properties, the homelessness or all of the above? Since I’ve never been leeward, I have no clue but what I’ve been told by the few friends that live there. Other areas to suggest? Ewa Beach, Waimanalo? Others? Where my friends live unfortunately is not affordable for us (Waikiki and Kailua). They’ve suggested some cities more in the middle of the island like Mililani, but I’d really rather be closer to the beach. Hawaii Kai is a bit too pricey, as well.
Reasons?
Crime, xenophobia, poor neighborhood conditions, horrible traffic (especially after an accident), lack of shopping, feeling disconnected from most of Oahu.... I could go on.

As far as choosing a neighborhood, it is very hard to know what you would like and all the neighborhoods are different. I would suggest renting a small apartment in the middle of Oahu and start exploring each direction Personally I really like Mililani. It is a very nice area. Clean streets, family friendly, and always felt quiet and safe when I was there. Mostly Asian residents, if that matters to you. I could drive to north shore easily, or Kapolei for additional shopping. You do have to drive for any beach time, but the advantages are greater, in my opinion.

Someone was building retirement community (condos) in Mililani the last time I was there.

If you have a question about a specific community/neighborhood let me know. I’m familiar with the whole island. (I would NOT suggest waimanalo either.)

Old 09-02-2020, 01:41 PM

451 posts, read 412,994 times
Quote:
My thought is to rent in a "safer" area and then have time to truly explore the island. It would give us the opportunity to meet and talk to people that have lived there for awhile and get a good perspective. Who knows, it might not even be our forever home after we give it a try.
A number of newcomers I have met over the years first started out in the Makiki neighborhood. Makiki is located in town and is loosely located between Punchbowl and Punahou. The upper area of Makiki is a mix of single family homes and condo/apartments. Seems like a lots of rentals in the upper-area (if posted rental signs are evidence), close to beaches, major medical clinics and hospitals, shopping, restaurants and churches. Parking is tight if you don't have on-property parking. You get a bit if a reverse commute if you
are working/traveling to leeward or windward sides.

Good Luck.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:48 PM

451 posts, read 412,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanus View Post
Reasons?
Crime, xenophobia, poor neighborhood conditions, horrible traffic (especially after an accident), lack of shopping, feeling disconnected from most of Oahu.... I could go on.

As far as choosing a neighborhood, it is very hard to know what you would like and all the neighborhoods are different. I would suggest renting a small apartment in the middle of Oahu and start exploring each direction Personally I really like Mililani. It is a very nice area. Clean streets, family friendly, and always felt quiet and safe when I was there. Mostly Asian residents, if that matters to you. I could drive to north shore easily, or Kapolei for additional shopping. You do have to drive for any beach time, but the advantages are greater, in my opinion.

Someone was building retirement community (condos) in Mililani the last time I was there.

If you have a question about a specific community/neighborhood let me know. I’m familiar with the whole island. (I would NOT suggest waimanalo either.)

I agree with Oceanus re Mililani. You have access to shopping and other amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu