Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,414 times

Advertisements

Folks in Lake County driving on 41 recently may have seen a sign for a new retail development where the currently unoccupied Krispy Kreme building is located. It appears they're going to tear down that building (thank god) and build a new smaller retail center. There's a link with very basic information and a picture of the planned building below. I'd be interested to know what tenants will be filling this space. I'm no real estate agent but the picture makes it look like there's about 10 spaces in the building and it says 1 space available so I would have to think most have already been filled. With this, coupled with the plans for building Shops on Main moving forward, it looks like things are finally headed in the right direction again.

320 US Hwy 41, Schererville, IN, 46375 - Strip Center Property for Lease on LoopNet.com

Last edited by svillechris; 11-05-2012 at 07:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 08:30 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Yes! Saw that a while ago. If the development is like that, then I don't think an Olive Garden will work there as you previously had been told. However, I hope some good places come.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:43 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,078 times
It would be a max of 7 storefronts. Minimum of 2,000 sq. ft. per unit. They are adv. the whole building, so I doubt they have any signed leases. Hopefully they won't regret putting coming spring 2013 on the sign. Olive Garden was always a rumor, they would have to have a 3 way liquor license (very hard to get) before even thinking of being in Schererville.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:57 PM

6 posts, read 29,299 times

Old 03-10-2013, 11:04 AM

Default The former Payless Shoe store (in the development with Starbucks and Oberweis)...

Will now be a new location for Accelerated Physical Rehabilitation Centers...they have quite a few NWI locations already so business must be getting much better!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:00 PM

21 posts, read 63,738 times
You know, speaking of shops of Main - do you think there's a snowball's chance that we'll get a Trader Joes?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvida42 View Post
You know, speaking of shops of Main - do you think there's a snowball's chance that we'll get a Trader Joes?
At this point, it is a toss up.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:05 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvida42 View Post
I doubt it. Whole Foods recently came out and said they have no plans of opening up a store in NWI due to the demographics. Considering the fact that the target market for TJ is comparable to that of Whole Foods, I'd be surprised to see Trader Joe's come here. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:32 PM

21 posts, read 63,738 times
You know, Whole Foods really oughta throw us a bone: their distribution center is based in Munster! Actually, I don't really care about Whole Foods: overpriced for my budget. But man do I miss Trader Joes. Although, I have to say, my husband and I awaited the opening of Munster's Chipotle with almost as much excitement as the birth of our second child. Guess how many times we've been since it opened: exactly once! Goes to show how you adapt to your surroundings and find new things to love. Like Albanese Candy: ooooo, now I'd LOVE to see another Albanese shop open up this way: it's pretty far to the ones on 30

Old 03-11-2013, 11:41 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,078 times
Not a chance on Trader Joes. They have said no repeatedly. I have talked with both TJ and WF real estate guys personally. Sorry to rain on peoples parade.

The high level of competition in grocery stores in NW Indiana have pushed the overall prices to much lower levels then either TJ or WF want to go. In that way we should be happy we have lower food prices then the rest of the Chicago area (just look at the prices at Meijer in Highland compared with a Meijer in Bolingbrook, its not just because of the lower tax rate). I think that is a bigger factor then even the income levels they use to say they don't want to come.

The fact that WF warehouse and office in NW Indiana has nothing to do with having local stores. Its largely a tax and business climate decision, they save a fortune by being here then in some business park in Illinois or Wisconsin. The warehouse serves most of the Midwest.

Shops on Main will not have larger stores. The largest size is too small for a grocery. Shops on Main will be mostly mall type stores in an outside "lifestyle center" format. The "anchors" will be no larger then midsize box store. Restaurants will be the real anchors in "Shops on Main". Oak street shops had a larger size anchor space (100,000 sq. ft) but I think that project is dead for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana