Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 12:13 PM

396 posts, read 607,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Honestly there are folks who say "I know this route, let's stick with what I know"
and folks who say "I've been that route, let's try something new."

Sounds like you (and I) fall in category two. Go for it. Sounds like some good suggestions but I bet you find something interesting that you never anticipated!
Yeah, #2 for sure. Heck my blog (which isn't up-to-date), says it all
offthebeatenpathwithskip.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2024, 04:37 AM

2,902 posts, read 1,876,462 times
Beaufort nc and New Bern NC are cool little towns worth stopping at and walking around. Cool little side trip is you can see where Pepsi was invented.

Old 02-10-2024, 07:24 AM

Hi and Thank you. We are familiar with New Bern, and stopping here will be as much to see how much it's changed since the last time we were here (some 8-10 years now)

As of right now, overnight stays will be in the Bridgwater, NJ area, Ocean City, MD or Norfolk, VA, Swansboro, NC to Beaufort, SC

Swansboro stay over, MAYBE. As much so the misses can have her favorite Chowder at Prestons Bar & Grill (or is there a better choice?) and me, I'd love to try il Cigno Italiano, it sounds awesome

Old 02-12-2024, 01:48 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,326,501 times
I'd recommend staying overnight in Norfolk over Ocean City. Bridgewater to Norfolk is easily doable in a day (about 6 hours), and it gets you about 2.5 hours' head start toward your journey into NC (Ocean City to Swansboro would be over 8 hours' drive). Norfolk is the largest city you'll encounter on your trip, and if you stay downtown you can walk to some decent restaurants, see a battleship and museum on the waterfront, and since you asked about places to walk, the 10-mile Elizabeth River trail starts downtown and goes north along the river and through historic neighborhoods. You'll see some cobblestone streets in a couple of spots, and there are a few breweries and things along/near the trail too. There's also a replica paddlewheel riverboat ferry from downtown Norfolk over to Olde Towne Portsmouth, which is a really cute historic district.

Here's the subforum for the Norfolk area if you'd like to browse for ideas or start a thread there for some recommendations: https://www.city-data.com/forum/hampton-roads-area/

Old 02-12-2024, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'd recommend staying overnight in Norfolk over Ocean City. Bridgewater to Norfolk is easily doable in a day (about 6 hours), and it gets you about 2.5 hours' head start toward your journey into NC (Ocean City to Swansboro would be over 8 hours' drive). Norfolk is the largest city you'll encounter on your trip, and if you stay downtown you can walk to some decent restaurants, see a battleship and museum on the waterfront, and since you asked about places to walk, the 10-mile Elizabeth River trail starts downtown and goes north along the river and through historic neighborhoods. You'll see some cobblestone streets in a couple of spots, and there are a few breweries and things along/near the trail too. There's also a replica paddlewheel riverboat ferry from downtown Norfolk over to Olde Towne Portsmouth, which is a really cute historic district.

Here's the subforum for the Norfolk area if you'd like to browse for ideas or start a thread there for some recommendations: https://www.city-data.com/forum/hampton-roads-area/
Awesome, thank you very much for the input, all very helpful.

Old 02-16-2024, 08:21 AM

846 posts, read 2,833,646 times
The 2nd largest antiques market in all of VA, is on the eastern shore, near or north of Cape Charles. Can't recall the business'es name. (The largest one BTW, is in Verona near Staunton).

Old Today, 12:40 PM

846 posts, read 2,833,646 times
The Blue Crow Antiques Mall in Painter, VA (on the eastern shore peninsula) is the largest, or second largest one, in the State. (Along with the one in Verona, VA near Staunton in western VA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia